Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79385 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2021, 02:07:36 PM »
Sorry all haven't followed this whole thread closely but has anyone had recent (say late Jan onwards once things settled down) with Deep Cut mats direct to the UK? I think they're vat registered here but not sure - going to order anyway, just wondered how stung I'll get?!

You can also order them through Element Games in the UK.

https://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/gaming-and-accessories/gaming-mats/deep-cut-studios
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2021, 06:10:21 PM »
My order (~ 100 €) from Aventine just arrived via air mail here in Germany. No additional VAT, customs trouble and handling fees.

NI is still European Union.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:11:55 PM by Wellington »
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2021, 09:04:40 PM »
Yep. Package from NI stopped at customs and they are now asking for fees/vat and the lot. I have appealed the decision but I am not hopeful.

Those of you who got your packages from NI without trouble which prefix was used in your invoices/shipping labels please? Was it GB or XI?

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/2021-brexit-top-50-faq.pdf

To explain why I am asking; from what i read here (go to page 9) the XI prefix should be the one used. In my package GB was used and I suspect that may be the reason customs is being difficult.

I may of course be entirely wrong/off the mark.

Theo, you might want to have a look at the Aventine FB post linked below. I am not sure this explains what happened to your parcel but it might provide a clue (dunno if Royal Mail made the same mistake with Greece though) :

https://www.facebook.com/AventineMiniatures/posts/3749912355091863

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
Alphaspel.se in Stockholm is very well stocked (no pun!) on almost all Frostgrave plastic kits.
For continental Europeans looking for non-UK hobby shops I can fully recommend Swedish Alphaspel (also the brick and mortar shop), German Battlefield Berlin, Italian Mirliton (ex-Grenadier fantasy and scifi, plus historical) and the various French and German sellers of the ebay.fr and ebay.de. With the latter two it might be possible to pay by a simple euro bank transfer - just ask to have this possibility.

In theory Ireland too should count here for mainland Europeans. In practise their logistic routes via England seem to have been at least partially messed up, for I have still to receive a Prince August order from Ireland sent out before last Christmas. It may arrive some day, for when the virus thing began to spread first time it took literally half a year for some of the stuff to arrive from abroad.

I still plan to mail order hobby stuff from the UK, but am more strict about it as to what to order and when. Still remember the days of 1990s when I could buy foreign UK or USA made fantasy hobby products and miniatures at normal prices from local book shops despite no internet, EU or Euro currency, so in theory it shouldn't be a hassle this time either.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
You can also order them through Element Games in the UK.

https://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/gaming-and-accessories/gaming-mats/deep-cut-studios

Thanks - I've actually ordered a bunch of custom 30cm square mats via their excellent print on demand service. Let's see - had the UPS notifications and stuff, no mention of cost yet. I think they are VAT registered meaning should be OK.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2021, 01:59:13 PM »
Bying Oathmark figures at one of two major stores  in Stockholm is still quite alright: pretty much exactly the same price as ordering it from North Star plus you dont pay p&p, fees and all that other delivery hassle.

Offline Fanis

• Librarian
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2021, 03:23:12 AM »
Theo, you might want to have a look at the Aventine FB post linked below. I am not sure this explains what happened to your parcel but it might provide a clue (dunno if Royal Mail made the same mistake with Greece though) :

https://www.facebook.com/AventineMiniatures/posts/3749912355091863

Some mistake has definitely happened somewhere along the way Arthur and you have my thanks for alerting me to this link. It may very well be what happened with my order. I have argued and argued with customs over here but to no effect and am now waiting for an exact bill so I can decide whether I want to pay it or not. I doubt I will want to, as it was a very large order and I don't fancy paying another 100 euro on top of it. Very unfortunate but to be fair these sort of teething problems are only to be expected...I am trying to be positive and not heap my frustration upon Brexit :-)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »
Package received from The Assault Group and neither taxes nor handling fees have been charged. With this make three packages received from the UK since Brexit -Warbases, TAG and Eureka UK- and none of them have been stopped. So far, so good.

But I still have two packages pending: one from Bicorne Miniatures and one from Flags of War KS (in April, hopefully). I am more or less confident that Bicorne's will pass undisturbed, but don't think I will be that lucky with the one from Flags of War, as it w¡ll pass comfortably over the 150 euros threshold. If it is not stopped I will count my blessings, but I won't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:07:46 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
I still don't know about costs but I did get a UPS notification saying my deepcut mats were delayed in Poland specifically mentioning brexit. We'll see - I guess there's a backlog.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »
I am now two for two on fees from the UK after Christmas. A small parcel from Antediluvian and a somewhat bigger one from Footsore. These being regular Royal Mail airmail does not seem to have helped at all. Handling fee isn't too bad, but as far as I can tell neither seller was able to deduct VAT in the UK so I think I got hit with double VAT charges.

Certainly going to have to be more restrictive with my UK orders from now on. Shame about the really small shops who lack EU stocktists, like Claymore Castings and the like.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
It doesn’t appear that Antediluvian is VAT registered. Footsore is though. Worth asking them to deduct VAT on your future orders?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
It doesn’t appear that Antediluvian is VAT registered. Footsore is though. Worth asking them to deduct VAT on your future orders?

Yeah, will have to make sure on future orders.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2021, 01:39:11 PM »
My purchase from Bicorne have been delivered, and again no taxes nor handling fees. Apparently, Spain is taking easy the post-Brexit regulations. I am cautiously optimistic.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2021, 03:57:37 PM »
Be carefull ordering at Amazon. I thought I was careful, but either it wasn't properly marked or I was to stupid but while ordering at the German Amazon site, I ordered a book from an trader in England. I hope it get through without customs.

And in an article about Brexit was mentioned that the German customs officers go especially after packages marked as gift. It seem the old trick doesn't work anymore.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
Be carefull ordering at Amazon. I thought I was careful, but either it wasn't properly marked or I was to stupid but while ordering at the German Amazon site, I ordered a book from an trader in England. I hope it get through without customs.

Many countries have a reduced VAT rate for books. I think it's 7% in Germany. Sometimes it has provided a "loophole" because the amount of tax would be negligible and thus below some threshold. For example, we've had exemptions for less than 10€ or 5€ of tax to be collected, making it possible to order a larger pile of books or other articles with reduced VAT. However, if there's only a threshold for the value of goods, it's possible that you end up paying a hefty processing fee for a negligible amount of VAT. No idea how it works over there. :-I