Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: So which Fantasy battle game are we all playing?  (Read 6248 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: So which Fantasy battle game are we all playing?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
Some time ago I bought Hostile Realms and decided it wasn't for me. As there was (and probably still is) very little information available about these rules I wrote a review after reading them, here:
http://www.theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=267782

Thank you for that link. I had searched for reviews of HR but in spite of their scarcity I managed to overlook that one. I’ve now read it and the ensuing discussion, which seem to confirm how polarised opinion is on the Piquet system in its various guises. Fortunately the arguments on both sides are well put and cogently reasoned. Furthermore, as with most of the conflicts we enjoy reading and gaming about, it would be difficult if not impossible to state categorically that either side is ‘wrong’. At some point I'm simply going to have to give it a try. I now think, however, I’m more likely to do this with FoB rather than HR but this is no more definitive than most of my other final decisions.

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 02:58:42 AM »
I wonder how the painting’s going...

I’m also wondering whether anyone has any experience with Hostile Realms,  the fantasy version of Piquet, which I have just come across while browsing the Caliver Books site. All I know of it is that a pack of sequence cards is used by each player, presumably to randomise the order of play, as well as ‘relic cards’. I am aware that Piquet seems to divide opinion like Marmite, in part because of its asymmetrical mechanics, but I’m wondering whether these might be more palatable in a fantasy setting.

FWIW, I think the "problem" is setting agnostic.  The mechanism either "works" for you or it doesn't.  For me, it doesn't - I prefer the Two Hour Wargames mechanisms.   Yet there are other gamers who for whatever their reasons don't care for them.  I like that they are written with a design that works solo as well as group gaming.  I'm 100% solo so for me that is important.  A side benefit is that as the underlying mechanics are based on the same model, it is easy to switch to any other THW rule set covering a very wide range of settings.  I think that what is the stumbling point for more than a few gamers is that the rules take away the godlike control you normally have over your minis in other games.

THW has some free rules downloadable free of charge so you can give them a test drive and see if they suit you.  The founder and frequent author or co-author of the various rules is a great guy, very supportive of gamers and quick to reply if you email him about questions or suggestions.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2021, 03:18:08 AM »
For some reason I was turned off the THW rules by comments I read on a blog I used to frequent, though I can’t remember the argument. I nevertheless bought the western gunfight rules a year or so ago, partly just to test out the system for myself, but, typically, haven’t yet done so.

Solo playability is important to me also - though I own and continue to buy many sets that aren’t readily playable solo - which means I have little excuse not to at least try systems that facilitate solo play. I have no objection to loss of control, and quite like random events, at least to a degree. Some rules I have read vastly overdo this, to my mind, the otherwise impressive Tercios being a case in point.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2021, 06:36:57 PM »
Interested to hear what tweaks you've done to make DR better for larger games?

I am still evolving my tweaks.  Some of them are below:

Use a lot more points.  Often up to 40.
All units occupy the same frontage - I use 12cm.
I use the optional rules about flanks and rear attacks.
Units face the direction they moved in.  Units can still move any direction making sure to measure from the part of the base or figure that has to move furthest.
Friendly units can be placed within 1" of each other.
Allow for up to 1 commander for every 6 or part of 6 (this should have a points cost but I haven't yet decided what this should be).  A force with 15 units could therefore field 3 commanders as it has 2x 6 units and then 3 further units making a "part of 6".
Commanders can add a number of combat dice to melee depending on their rating and how much risk they want to take.  More combat dice added means more risk.
Commanders have a certain number of command points that can be used on units within command range (I am still deciding on what this should be) to mitigate low activation dice rolls and courage rolls.  These replenish at the start of each turn.
Command points can also be used to prevent impetuous charges.  If successful, the unit can later make a normal move.
I have some basic interpenetration rules for light missile and scouts - still needing some work.  This does risk disorder of the unit being interpenetrated.
Being routed through or having a unit pushed back into another unit risks disorder of the unit behind.

That is about it.

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 10:03:36 PM »
I am playing Fantastic Battles by Nic Wright published by Irregular Wars. It's somewhat whimsical approach belies an excellent system that rewards good tactics and allows army building of any army you can imagine. Its fun easy to pick up and doesnt cost a mint.
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 08:16:42 AM »
We are playing Lord of the Rings games using fan lists for Kings of War and that seems to work well...

Mike

Mike, where can I find these fan lists please