Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Big Fantasy Battle - Another Test Game. It's getting there.  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: A Big Fantasy Battle
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »
My second test game of my home-brew fantasy big battle rules. After a week of defining ideas, re-thinking concepts and trying out various methods to get all the different aspects to gel, I decide it was time to put figures on the table and see how things stood. Some ideas that looked good on paper didn't work out as well as hoped. Other things turned out well.

I've continued to work at it since I played this game and come up with some solutions to the problems encountered (I hope). The actual writing has expanded quite significantly since the first game I tried. At that stage I was working with a rough bunch of concepts and a few better developed ideas. Now I've fleshed out most of the initial concepts and I'm trying to fine them and separate the wheat from the chaff.

As usual, I've taken a whole bunch of nice pics and gone into more depth on my blog where I've laid out some of the broader aspects and discussed some of the detail.

Here's a link: https://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/fantasy-rules-part-2.html

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: A Big Fantasy Battle - Test Game #2.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »
Good looking game - miniatures and terrain.  I think your ideas for packs and multitudes for wolves, bats and creepy crawlies is a good idea.  I am looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: A Big Fantasy Battle - Test Game #2.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
Good looking game - miniatures and terrain.  I think your ideas for packs and multitudes for wolves, bats and creepy crawlies is a good idea.  I am looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Thanks Ethelred. After this game I made a lot of changes and got some of the concepts more firmly in place and then replayed the same game. It's much tighter and more of a tough slog rather than units smashing through each other. It's getting there, slowly but surely.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: A Big Fantasy Battle - Another Test Game. It's getting there.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 05:39:34 AM »
I played another test game of my big battle fantasy rules. This is the 4th run through because I actually replayed the previous game after making some amendments and adding much needed rules. This game turned out to be pretty instructive too as I tried to play it to the letter of what I'd written only to discover that many of the concepts I intended to include were still just floating around my head and not put down in words. Part of the problem being: I know what I want, I didn't write it down and now I've become fuzzy on my original intent.

Some of it worked well and the magic system is working really well. I'm surprised at that because I thought it would present problems. I had an idea. I wrote it out. And it works better than I expected. Then again... I wonder how long it will last before it breaks when I put it into the hands of others?

I'm finding that I took a lot for granted when writing rules for movement and manoeuvre. Coming form a Napoleonic and Ancient background it's very easy to take overlook some very basic concepts. I found that I know what I want to happen. I know how things should happen. I know what would usually be expected. What I didn't expect is the need to spell all these aspects out to make them easily understood.

Anyhow, if you're interested I go through more of the process on my blog. I've also put forward more detail on some of my ideas and some of the thinking behind what I'm hoping to achieve.

Link: https://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/another-fantastic-test-game.html

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: A Big Fantasy Battle - Another Test Game. It's getting there.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
A good looking game!

Interesting to read your tribulations with the rules - all sounds very familiar - especially the difference between what you think should happen, vs what has actually been written down!

Flyers and undead are always tricky to get the balance right. But if you have got magic working right that is a big tick!