Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Avanpost - a mini review  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Avanpost - a mini review
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »
My latest blog post is a mini review of Avanpost Historical Miniatures’ 28mm TYW figures.  In summary, these are beautifully sculpted figures and have something to offer every ECW and TYW wargamer.  There are more pictures, with my thoughts on the good, and the things to be aware of in the range, on my blog here - https://theviaregia.blogspot.com/2021/03/avanpost-mini-review.html

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Avanpost - a mini review
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
Very nice.
Do you know... who is the sculptor?

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:47:48 AM »
Nice figures, and an interesting review. Personally, I think the figures are some of the nicest around. Sadly, I also think that the resin figures are just too brittle, even for me as a collector. I'm waiting for more of the range to be released in metal, but I probably won't mix them in units with other ranges.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »
They do look gorgeous.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:24:35 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I don;t know any more details than what is on their Facebook Group, here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/129542930914154/?ref=group_browse

Thanks, Paul.  Yes, it will be metal for me, where possible, from Avanpost.  They are such nice sculpts though, I am willing to indulge the odd resin figure as well.  ;)

Thanks, Richard  :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 12:40:29 AM »
Very nice.
Do you know... who is the sculptor?

Avanpost's sculptor îs a very talented Russian chap named Maxim Voronin (Oleg Derbasov makes the announcements on the FB page and runs the business side of the company). 

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 07:32:16 AM »
Since this thread was started Avanpost has announced some beautiful-looking mounted cuirassiers - if the photos are anything to go by, as good as any others on the market. But sadly, at present at least, they're just in resin. Very frustrating.

Does anyone else have a problem with resin figures, or am I alone in this?

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »
I saw the cuirassiers. Absolutely stunning. But very fine swords etc. I’m afraid I wouldn’t trust them in resin on the tabletop, although I might get a set simply to paint them. They look absolutely superb.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 10:06:13 AM »
Given that Avanpost have released a large part of their TYW resin range in metal, lead versions of the newly released cuirassiers may appear in the fullness of time. Oleg might grant that particular wish if If enough people pester him on the Avanpost FB page.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
Indeed. You'll see that a few people already have pestered him, myself included. With the foot figures, I found that advancing figures were particularly vulnerable where they had only one foot attached to the base. I suspect that the horses may be similarly vulnerable around the hooves and ankles (do horses have ankles - maybe fetlocks?). 

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
I've just exchanged emails with Oleg and, sadly, Avanpost won't be releasing the cuirassiers in metal 'in the near future'. Pity.

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »
Beautiful sculpts - how do they stack alongside Bicorne and TAG etc? I recall reading an article in Wargames Illustrated about TYW figs and how there were two camps 28mm (TAG, 1st Corps, Warlord) and then tall 28mm (Bicorne, Renegade and lastly Redoubt) o_o - Are these 28mm or tall 28mm figs? ???
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
Hi The Dilfy!

Avanpost are most definitely at the shorter/slighter end of 28mm.  The foot fit nicely with Perry, and are ok with Warlord and TAG; I’ve used them all in the same units.  I typically don’t use Bircone etc. in the same units, may be one or two.  While the old adage about ‘real people being different sizes’ will accommodate some differences, where it starts to become difficult for my eye is when we come to equipment, like muskets.  The Avanpost muskets are very fine/small compared to others - they may well be true scale, but I suspect other manufacturers emphasise the size of theirs.  Not a problem in all Avanpost units.

For horses, the Avanpost stand as tall as Warlord / TAG, but the beasts themselves are slighter.  I am not as happy to mix horses from different manufacturers as I am the men, anyway.  I couldn’t resist the resin Cuirassiers and I will be painting a unit soon, but it will be an entirely Avanpost unit, horses and riders.

Overall, the Avanpost are such beautiful sculpts I want to include them in ther army one way or the other  :D

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »
Hi The Dilfy!

Avanpost are most definitely at the shorter/slighter end of 28mm.  The foot fit nicely with Perry, and are ok with Warlord and TAG; I’ve used them all in the same units.  I typically don’t use Bircone etc. in the same units, may be one or two.  While the old adage about ‘real people being different sizes’ will accommodate some differences, where it starts to become difficult for my eye is when we come to equipment, like muskets.  The Avanpost muskets are very fine/small compared to others - they may well be true scale, but I suspect other manufacturers emphasise the size of theirs.  Not a problem in all Avanpost units.

For horses, the Avanpost stand as tall as Warlord / TAG, but the beasts themselves are slighter.  I am not as happy to mix horses from different manufacturers as I am the men, anyway.  I couldn’t resist the resin Cuirassiers and I will be painting a unit soon, but it will be an entirely Avanpost unit, horses and riders.

Overall, the Avanpost are such beautiful sculpts I want to include them in ther army one way or the other  :D

I agree with the quality of figures and I'm chuffed to bits they can fit in either as units of avanpost or individually alongside TAG, Perry and Warlord  :D They are too tempting not to say yes to, a bit like Captian Bloods latest offerings  ;)

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 03:49:20 PM »
I agree with the quality of figures and I'm chuffed to bits they can fit in either as units of avanpost or individually alongside TAG, Perry and Warlord  :D They are too tempting not to say yes to, a bit like Captian Bloods latest offerings  ;)

You’re right! I can always think of something I want, that I can’t find, but we really are fabulously lucky with the ranges we have, and are still coming.  Bloody Mins will definitely be must buys, as will Avanpost.  I also love the 1898 range.  Warlord keep trickling out stuff for the early 17th century as well. I haven’t scratched the surface of 1st Corps yet either!  o_o