Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Small House, HMG team, and Civilians (06/01)  (Read 28380 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - More building work!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2021, 10:41:32 PM »
These are superb  :o :o

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Thank you all for the kind comments! I hope you had a nice Christmas break and wishing you all a happy new year!

Phenomenal thread! The figures and buildings are fantastic.

You could put your buildings around a cobblestone square. Lemax makes a great vinyl cobblestone mat for its Christmas Village line. It's easy to cut and dry brush to make smaller squares or roads. Check out the Amazon listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Lemax-Christmas-Village-Landscape-34920/dp/B00436JBDO

This is great! I purchased one of the mats and am now deciding what to use it for. Thanks for the tip  :D

Over the Christmas period I was able to make a start on a few more projects. They're all still a work in progress, but thought I'd share my work so far. I am also still working on my existing builds (adding doors, window frames, etc etc.) and figures, but will upload pictures later.

First of all, my sister gave me a 1st Corps 3 wheel speedster for Christmas alongside some other items from their fantastic 20th century follies selection.

Using a sponging technique I made a start on the red basecoat. Whilst I'm far from being done, I'm quite happy with the results so far.

I have avoided vehicles in the past because I've historically had issues with brush strokes (I dont have an airbrush at the moment), but wanted to use this opportunity to use a sponging technique instead, I think it worked particularly well! I’ve included two photos below - can’t seem to get the actual colour to reflect well on camera…

To go with the new car, she also bought me the pumps and attendant set (https://1stcorps.co.uk/product/fuel-pumps-and-attendant/).

I'm yet to make a start on the miniatures themselves, but I have managed to make a start on the building that'll host the future petrol station. After all, why finish what you’ve started when you can start something else as well!  ;D

The two front entrances will contain large barn doors - here the attendant will be able to wheel out his cart with tools and supplies.

The upstairs deck will provide a space for the attendant to sit and keep watch over the road for any incoming cars, with a small office space inside.

The building will eventually be clad in oil company logos (Royal Dutch Shell perhaps? Or Batavian Petroleum!) and advertisements. I'm especially happy with the wooden detailing under the roof (which you can just about see on the left hand side). Apologies for the poor quality of the fotos - I assure you the wooden flooring is in fact brown, not black!

Finally, I really wanted a centre piece for the town so far. So I made a start on a clock tower. I decided to loosely base my tower on Galle Tower in Sri Lanka. I had visited Galle Fort a few years ago, and absolutely loved how the stone tower overlooked the rest of the (originally Dutch then British) town.

Wanting to get the stone texture right, I went about the tower construction in probably the most painful way possible. Having built the structure out of foam board, I cladded the entire thing, brick by brick, in individually cut foam slabs which were then textured using a tinfoil ball. The tediousness of the task paired with my impatience meant that the brick size was larger than on the original:

Following a black paint job and grey/brown dry brush I am relatively happy with the result. The colour is different from the original galle tower, and I am yet to finish the clock face / wooden detailing, but I think it'll form a nice centre piece for the town!

As always, thank you for the comments - should you have any tips or feedback, please do share!
- Shtim
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:30:22 PM by Shtim »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Great additions.  Do you have WIP photos of that Excellent clock tower?
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Great progress  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Beautiful work. Full of detail.
Flatpack

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Great additions.  Do you have WIP photos of that Excellent clock tower?

Thank you! Afraid that the only WIP picture I have is the one I already included in the post, it only shows the tower pre painting!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Is that because you didn’t have TIME to take more pics of the clock tower ?  lol
Sorry, had to go for it.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Is that because you didn’t have TIME to take more pics of the clock tower ?  lol
Sorry, had to go for it.

Cheap joke Bob, did you get it on TICK  ???

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Fantastic work! I look forward to your next installment!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Gorgeous work on that tower, well worth the time and effort spent on it. Can’t wait to see the figures for this.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - A variety of updates!
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2022, 07:30:22 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words - special thanks to Flatpack and has.been for the clock related puns...  lol

This week I'm sharing a variety of updates - most of them relatively minor.

First of all, I made some minor improvements to the larger building shared on December 1st, 2021.
I added some blue window sills on every floor for a pop of colour. The build still needs a door, and I am yet to add the final tiling above the bay window, but we're getting there:

Next I made some improvements to the shop building from May 2021. I added some minor details including wall braces at the front, a back door (not shown here), and some lettering at the top. "TONG FAH Co" probably has its origins in Malaysia rather than Indonesia, but I saw the name on an old photo from the Dutch Indies and it appealed, so here it is!

You'll also see a SHELL billboard on the roof. As I'm sure most of you'll know, (Royal Dutch) Shell was indeed a Dutch company with extensive operations across the Indies. They also operated a subsidiary - the Batavian Petroleum Company (Bataafse Petroleum Maatschappij). Once again, the bright colours (although toned down to reflect aging/rust) add a nice bit of colour to the board. The sign is fully removable - so can be used on a variety of builds.

Next up, the petrol station. I am yet to paint the actual petrol pumps/equipment that I got from 1st Corps, but the building is nearing completion.
Quite happy with how it's turning out - especially with the notices on the front doors and crates scattered around. I expect I'll add a bunch more petrol related advertisements and signage soon - so stay tuned.

Also made some progress on the car. I think we're basically there now - all that remains is the driver (and steering wheel lol).
Especially happy with the yellow accents - really brightens the whole car.

Also painted two new figures. One female explorer and one native Indonesian (from the Atjeh/Aceh region).
The bases turned out very well. I used a darker base tone and subtler drybrush - I also used smaller (but a greater quantity of) tufts.
I'm considering re-basing all of my miniatures, as I've never been super happy with a lot of them.. a task for another day...

Finally (almost there!), I have two unrelated ongoing projects...
I'll let you guess what these could be:

Thanks for reading! Any feedback or comments are welcome - as always.

Best,
Shtim

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - A variety of updates!
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
Brill  8)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2022, 07:51:32 PM »
Excellent work all around. I really like your Shell sign.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2022, 08:03:09 PM »
What a delightfully exotic topic - loving the buildings too.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2022, 12:46:40 AM »
Outstanding! Loving it!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/