Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 710
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Modern Stuff (Next Northern Gambola game scrubbed...Pg 25 - 15 Mar 24)  (Read 43230 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: More CapnJim's modern stuff(MOFO African Militia 02 Jul 2021)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 03:52:13 PM »
Those look great, Jim! The leader looks like one of the Somali leaders from Black Hawk Down. I foresee more fun convention games being run by Capn Jim...  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: More CapnJim's modern stuff(MOFO African Militia 02 Jul 2021)
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 03:52:16 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I'm thinking both the Police, and the African militia, will make an appearance at Advance the Colors (AtC) in October.  In separate games, of course.

In fact, sending in my game sign-ups for AtC is on my list of stuff to do today...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
On Tuesday, we will be playtesting my other scenario for Advance the Colors (AtC) (Springfield, OH, USA 01-02 Oct 21).  It's a Cops-n-Robbers scenario.  Well actually 3 linked successive mini-scenarios.  The 1st scenario will involve units from 3 or 4 PDs responding to a robbery of a tobacco shop in a small town somewhere.  I chose that because I smoke cigars, and robbing such a fine establishment would be quite the travesty...  ;) The 2nd scenario will see the police setting up a roadblock to try to nab the robbers who get away.  The last scenario will see a SWAT raid on the robbers hideout.  We'll be using 28mm figs - see the police earlier in this thread, while the robbers will be some of my narcos figs in another thread).  There'll be civilians too.  Vehicles are various diecasts I have.  We'll be using Fistful of Lead (the re-issued, non-western version).  I, as the GM, will play the robbers, while the players will play the cops.

The pics below show the little town from various angles.  I'll use the same board for all 3 mini-scenarios, re-set between them.  I'll post an AAR with pics after the game, likely Wednesday or Thursday.  That is, if I don't accidently delete the pics like I did for our old west scenario playtest of Ted's AtC game we did this Thursday past... :o

Till then...enjoy...

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Could have sworn I’d commented on this thread already, but apparently not.

A great setup  - look forward to seeing some more AAR photos

8)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice set up.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: More CapnJim's modern stuff (Cops-n-Robbers Scenario AAR 31 Aug 21)
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »
Cheers, fellas!  Here goes...

Headline:  Crime Spree in Somewhereville Leaves 6 Cops Injured, 2 Seriously.

9 Suspects Shot, 3 in Custody.

A crime spree by an previously unknown gang has left a trail of violence through normally sleepy Somewhereville.  At 11:15am Tuesday, 2 robbers held up Southam's Tobacco Shop at 123 Main Street while, according to witnesses, 2 more stayed outside as a lookout and getaway driver.  Deputies from Adjoining Township were first on the scene, followed by Somewhereville officers.  It is reported that they were backed up by agents from The US Border Patrol, who happened to be in the area, and officers from NextTown.

According to Police reports and witnesses, the robbers tried to take 2 hostages to their getaway car with them, including the tobacco store owner and a customer.  The suspects opened fire on Police, and in the ensuing gun battle, 3 suspects were shot, while one deputy from Adjoining Township was seriously wounded.  Allegedly, no hostages were injured in the incident, and managed to escape their captors in the confusion. 

Meanwhile, witnesses indicated another robber tried to slip out the back door of Southam's, but was apprehended as he tried to flee the area on foot.  A Somewhereville officer was injured trying to take that suspect in custody.  NextTown officers were able to subdue the alleged robber.

Continued on Page 2.  See Crime Spree...   

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »
Page 2

Crime Spree (Continued from Page 1...)

Officials now believe the tobacco store robbery was a decoy for a robbery at 7th National Bank, 425 S. 1st Street, that occurred at nearly the same time as the tobacco store heist.  Responding police were unable to arrive in time to stop the alleged robbers' escape from the bank robbery, but spotted the getaway car, a black Mercedes, a short time later.  Adjoining Township and US Border Patrol units initiated a pursuit, while Somewhereville and NextTown officers established a roadblock at the intersection of Main Street and Madison Road. 

According to official reports and witnesses, the alleged bank robbers stopped their car short of the roadblock, exited their vehicle and attempted to flee on foot.  Pursuing officers arrived almost immediately.  Witnesses indicated that 2 suspects opened fire on officers and fled south, while 2 suspects fled north, all through residential neighborhoods.

Apparently, one suspect that fled north was shot early in his flight, while his accomplice injured a NextTown officer who tried to apprehend him.  The other suspect who fled north was allegedly hit by a NextTown police vehicle, and a NextTown officer was able to take that suspect into custody.

Of the suspects who fled to the south, one suspect was able to elude officers, fleeing through Saint Joseph's Cemetery after injuring a Somewhereville Police Sergeant.  A bystander was injured by the other suspect, who invaded the bystander's home.  The homeowner, who according to sources is a 2-tour Army veteran, was able to recover and assist officers in subduing the suspect who invaded his home.  It is reported that that suspect was badly injured during his apprehension.  Officials have nor released how that suspect was injured.  Mayor Blatheren of Somewhereville reportedly indicated that officials were considering recognizing the homeowner for his assistance in this incident.

Continued on Page 3. See Crime Spree...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 12:24:21 AM »
Page 3

Crime Spree (Continued from page 2...)

Reportedly, Somewhereville Police were able to get information from the suspects taken into custody, and determined that the crime gang's main hideout was located in a factory on Oak Street, in Somewhereville.  The County SWAT team was apparently activated, and raided the factory while patrol units set up roadblocks in the area.

According to reports, the County SWAT vehicle had difficulty making entry into the back door of the factory, apparently suffering a mechanical malfunction in the process.  The SWAT team had to use a battering ram to get inside the factory.

Witnesses indicate that the SWAT team entered the rear factory door at approximately 3:00pm Tuesday afternoon.  Suspects reportedly opened fire on the SWAT team with automatic weapons, wounding a SWAT team member.  Three suspects were shot in the ensuing gunfight, while the 4thh suspect barricaded himself in the plant office with the Plant Manager as a hostage.  While officials wouldn't confirm this, it is alleged that the SWAT team ultimately utilized flash-bang grenades to subdue the suspect.  The suspect was badly injured during his apprehension.  The Plant Manager, while apparently uninjured, is reported to have been badly shaken up by the incident.

Meanwhile, witnesses and officials report that a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed, eluded police roadblocks and attempted to gain entry to the factory yard through the Oak Street gate.  The vehicle apparently got tangled up in the gate, and 2 occupants exited the vehicle and fired automatic weapons at officers, who returned fire.  Officers shot the suspects, seriously wounding them.  NextTown officials report one of their officers was badly wounded in that exchange of gunfire.

Officials believe that there is no longer a threat to the community, but it is not clear what the ultimate motives of the crime gang may have been.  Officials have not released information on the conditions of the 9 suspects and 3 police officers who were seriously wounded during these incidents.  Thus, it is not known if there have been any fatalities, but all are reported to have been hospitalized.  So far, aside from the homeowner who was treated and released at the County hospital, it appears that no civilians were seriously injured during this crime spree.         

The 3 suspects who were apprehended have all been charged with multiple felonies, as will any injured suspects who survive once released from the hospital.

Bernard Patton, County Times

And there you have it.  Each of the 3 mini-scenarios (each described in it's own "news column") played out in about an hour.  Took us about 3-1/2 hours to play the whole shebang.  In addition to the regular cards dealt out for figures, the half-dozen or so civilians also got a card, and they all acted on that one card.  I controlled the civilians, who acted in ways that made sense given the circumstances.  They tended to come out and see what all the Police ruckus was about, but also tended to get out of the way once shots were fired.  The homeowner had to pass a task roll to resist the home invasion (he was standing on his front porch).  He passed, by a fair bit.  We even gave him a chance to be armed - but he wasn't.  And the vehicle in his driveway happened to be a diecast civilian jeep with US Army graphics on it.  So we justified his decision to resist by his being an Army veteran...and he ended up helping an officer "subdue" the guy who invaded his home once he recovered from his wound.

We also had a joker in the deck.  Not only was it a wild card, but the activating player/figure could have something bad happen to the other side, or something good happen to his side.  Examples included a few figures tripping and falling, a figure getting an extra move, the SWAT vehicle breaking down, the factory doors finally opening, etc.

All in all, we had a blast.  No tweaks needed for the convention in a month.  We think it's ready to go "as is".

And thanks for reading...comments/questions/critiques welcome! :D

Offline miros

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »
Enjoyed reading the AAR, looks like a great game.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
Thanks.  It was a great game.  It seems that fun was had by all!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 04:58:39 PM »
Great looking game - enjoyed reading the AAR

8)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 12:34:47 AM »
Thanks, AKULA!

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »
Love this. Great terrain as well.  :-*

Reminds me of 'Heat' and '21 Bridges.' ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 11:29:48 PM »
Reminds me of 'Heat' and '21 Bridges.' ;)

Exactly the vide we go for in these types of games!  More movie/TV, and less reliance on "real life"... ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 06:29:29 AM »
Great board and AAR.