Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign  (Read 96077 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Re: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign
« Reply #705 on: October 05, 2022, 11:34:31 AM »
@Tom Dilski, the beautiful house with the tower in the center of the vill is an old hand made piece by the famous CTMM, Chris The Model Maker who occasionally sells on eBay and TMP but does not do commission work anymore, sadly.
The other (3) Bldgs I bought from a well known gamer John Spiess at Historicon in the late 80’s or very early 90’s who hand made them out of foam core. They both did a great job!

Online Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #706 on: October 06, 2022, 12:33:05 AM »
Yes I agree they look fantastic. I wish I was talented enough to make something like that.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #707 on: October 06, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »
Tom Dulski, I wish I was as well!

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #708 on: October 10, 2022, 03:15:45 AM »
The Яussians Are Coming! The Яussians Are Coming!

15 September 1890 - On the road to Tirakh Mir

EPISODE ONE: Page 47 of the Campaign thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.690

EPISODE TWO:

The Battle continues, we pick up from the last post......

Turn 4:

Afghan Regulars advance towards the walled field defended by Russian infantry of the Susdal Line Regiment. The Russian rifle fire is mostly ineffective but the artillery does cause a few casualties.

As the Tajik Black Lances continue to retreat they take long rage fire from their rear as Afghan Jezzails open up sending them all the way back to Tajikistan.

Turn: 5

A local villager innocently fetches water from the well…..

Every other turn an Event Card is pulled, this time it’s an Imperial Event, Defective Cannon Ammunition, reduce the amount of available artillery rounds. As the Russians are the imperial forces in this conflict the event card affects them. We deduced the innocent looking civilian fetching water returned to the vill and doused the power bags of the Russian artillery. I altered the card parameters, a die was thrown leaving them with (3) remaining rounds for the game. Since this is a campaign and the resupply will not make it in time for this days action it was a critical moment in the battle.

The Chitrali and Afridi tribesmen surge forwards in a concerted attack, lucky die rolls brining in the bulk of their forces together.

Turn: 6

Pathan tribesmen and Afghan Regular Infantry surge forwards.

Tajik Black Lances heading back to Tajikistan.

Russian allies enter the pass and advance towards the village, Cossacks and native Tajiks "recruited" from conquered territories.

Pathans advance towards the vill.

Kianoosh, the Tajik chieftain urges his tribesmen forward.

Afghan Regulars assault the village and a defended field as a Regular Afghan cavalry unit enters the fray behind them to flank the village.

Cossacks move behind the village to counter the threat of the Afghan Regular Cavalry on their left flank.

Tajik Chieftain Kianoosh takes personal command of a Tajik tribe to get them moving due to weak morale.

Cossacks advance

Another Event Deck card is pulled, this one affects the Pathans, however in a positive way. A native gun enters on the Pathan board edge. I weave this into the campaign narrative: Word has gotten to Khan Abbis of the northern ferenghi incursions into his ancestral lands, he decides to throw in his lot with  Ballah Khan. His son Abdullah arrives to the battle with his family's pride, an old brass 7LB cannon.

In addition to the Pathan cannon Ghazi Warriors enter the battle from the east in front of the positions of the  Borodinski Line Regiment. The Tajik Black Lances continue to be shot up as they route back to Tajikistan.

The vill is being hard pressed by the attacking Afghan Regulars.

Afghan Regulars push the defending Russians of the Susdal Line Regiment off the wall leaving them with only the rough ground Class-II cover of the field!

The Russian Royal Guardsmen fire on the advancing Afghan Regulars while taking minor casualties themselves despite being in the Class-IV cover of the buildings.

Turn 7:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiH_idgaFUAvK6hYNLdRKCiUp6CbR8awffXHJCoadWYlW7mFqZFNeT3Q1FISrfey__aLbzgCUv5XX5Uxagy7qVZCWEwgrC70L2TyhXEohFp7BcMSqwoTkYi8VzSX6HK0mEssP9VuL3yECmA_ag8_nevKOPWyPaa67PE3O3kihz5TryC3vor7pO9x06n/s320/1A4636A5-5F27-4A30-A401-A8DD9F7E53BB.jpeg

Holy warriors from the Chitral Territory led by Ahmad Khan surge towards the Borodinski Line Regiment. Their officer feeling the pressure of the advancing holy warriors leaves his walled position in the grove to move towards the support of the adjacent Kazanski Rifles.

Afridi tribesmen armed with captured Martini Henry Rifles advances to support the Ghazi warriors. Umra Khan's present of these captured English rifles to Ballah Khan's uncle will turn the tide for the Pashtuns.

Capt. Stolichnaya orders his Borodinski Regt. to form a close order double line which will give him a bonus to defend against the impending charge of the fanatic Ghazi tribesmen.

TO BE CONTINUED ......

https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/2022/08/

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #709 on: October 10, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »
Cracking good show, Sgt. Guinness!!!  Like Chapter 1, Chapter 2 keeps the thrill-packed yarn unspooling in edifyingly fine form!  And those Tajik Black Lancers seem the very definition of high-speed low-drag, eh, what?
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #710 on: October 10, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
Woooow great battle and great AAR !!!
Waiting for more Sarge

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #711 on: October 11, 2022, 11:57:34 PM »
Excellent installments SGT Guinness. Never underestimate the power of of modern rifles in the hand of fierce tribal warriors, nor the power of the devil's dram in desicion making, as old Captain Alexander "Teatotaler" MCCrane would say.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #712 on: October 12, 2022, 02:59:58 AM »
Thank you gents! The 3rd and 4th installments will be uploaded post haste. This was a very fun game which I not only GM’d but I got to play the part of Ballah Khan and control a large part of the native forces.

Bob and I fought the next battle out in the campaign at HurriCon-22 in Orlando at the end of last month and are already mapping our moves for the upcoming skirmishes and battles.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #713 on: October 12, 2022, 05:00:38 AM »
I can't stand waiting for the last battle results and following moves of the Russian good trustable allies! Waziristan is ready to join them to get help against Anglez in Bannu and all their dogs. Mulehead has been promised to be next Amir in Kabul  :o

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #714 on: October 13, 2022, 05:25:21 PM »
Great looking game! Thank you for the link to the blog! I couldn't really see the action in the pics on my computer.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #715 on: October 21, 2022, 03:34:08 PM »
MaleGriffin, thank you sir! It was a blast to design, run, and play. This ongoing NWF campaign has been an outstanding experience. I’m currently working on the AAR from our last game of this AO in our campaign played at HurriCon-22 in September.
Cheers,
JB

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #716 on: October 25, 2022, 08:16:58 AM »
I can't stand waiting for the last battle results and following moves of the Russian good trustable allies! Waziristan is ready to join them to get help against Anglez in Bannu and all their dogs. Mulehead has been promised to be next Amir in Kabul  :o

EGADS!!!  One cannot help but wonder what effect these words might engender from certain persons.... in certain quarters.... such as, say, the resident of the Arg....

In Kabul....

AKA: The Citadel of the King....

What's this? ....The Iron Amir, Abdur Rahman Khan himself, receives a visitor....?

One can't help but wonder.... what could he be there to tell the Defender of the Faithful....?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 08:21:59 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #717 on: October 28, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
                  PESHAWAR LANCER FLASH REPORT
After a long hiatus spent in a Calcutta hospital our intrepid reporter/editor Leslie Beauregard Baker-Nance esquire has returned to the frontier to report on the goings on. The latest scoop is that a Waziri upstart, Mulehead Khan, wishes to dethrone the Iron Amir and set up a Waziri fiefdom in Kabul.
After safely crossing the Khyber Pass with an horse trader known only to him as Mahbub Ali, our man makes it to the heart of Kabul, the Arg.

Upon arrivial at the Amir's palace he was promptly treated to chai, pomegranates, tamarind pies, and candied dates, the Amir's hospitality being the only thing one can trust on the Frontier. After bartering over the headline particulars, and a promise of no photos of the Amir or the palace grounds, Baker-Nance was finally granted an audience with Abdur Rahman Khan.

"EGADS SIR! The man wants to occupy your throne, marry your wives, and end your bloodline. He has promised to occupy the Bala Hissar and turn it into his personal residence, ipso facto making Kabul sovereign Waziri land. What say you to that sir?"

For the Iron Amir's response please pick up the latest copy of the Peshawar  Lancer. You certainly won't read this portentous news in any other Peshawar papers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 08:27:57 PM by CPT Shanks »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #718 on: October 30, 2022, 07:26:16 PM »
The Яussians Are Coming! The Яussians Are Coming!

15 September 1890 - On the road to Tirakh Mir

EPISODE THREE:

EPISODE ONE: Page 47 of the Campaign thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.690

EPISODE TWO: Page 48 of the Campaign thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.msg1762854#msg1762854

The Battle continues, we pick up from the last post......

TURN 8:

The Russian artillery pounds the Afghan Regulars and the Afghan Regulars in turn open up a deadly fire on the Susdal Line who were pushed back from the protection of the wall.

The Susdal Line take a pounding, go below 50% effectives, fail morale, and are forced back to the relative safety of the village.

Another Event Deck card is pulled, once again it affects the Russian forces. We assign each imperial unit a number, roll the appropriate sided die to determine which is the affected unit, and it is the Kazanski Rifles.

The Kazanski Rifles are siting safe behind a stone wall, Class IV cover, a Melee bonus in TSATF rules, and they have the supporting Borodinski Line Regt on their flank. They are facing a full tribe of (3) Ghazi warrior units which strictly have melee weapons so must close assault their enemies.

Captain Petr of the veteran Kazanski Rifles surveys the enemy to his front. They are mere tribesmen, no match for the veteran troops under his command. Glory and honor to the Mother Land. Captain Petr looks down the line of troops to his right manning the wall, smiles, then looks to the remainder at his left. He nods his head to no one but himself, his confidence is unwavering, he calls over his Lieutenant, "Denis, prepare the men, we are going to attack the enemy." LT Shvidki replies, "Yes sir, the men have loaded their rifles and are awaiting your order to fire." "Lieutenant, we are not wasting ammunition on these tribesmen. We are going to charge them now." Capt. Petr states in a calm monotone voice. "Understood sir, I will tell the Sergeants" replies LT Shvidki. Captain Petr mounts the wall, draws his sword, takes in a deep breath and with a wild look in his eyes he shouts, "For Mother Russia, at them with the bayonet, follow me!!!!"

And with those words, almost as one, they rise up and follow Captain Petr over the wall and towards the Ghazis at great haste.

Pashtuns continue to advance towards the village.

The routed remnants of the Susdal Line take cover in the vill.

Afghan Regulars take the field and advance towards the vill.

The Kanzanski Rifles Regt charges while the Borodinski Regt withdraws to put some space between them and the approaching Ghazis to fire on them and to avoid being charged.

Pathans advance!

The Kanzanski Rifles win the first melee and wipe out one band of Ghazis, but the casualties sustained from the melee take them below 50% effective strength. However they pass morale and face the onslaught of approaching Pathans.

The Tajik Black Lances continue their route back to Tajikistan.

TURN 9:

Another turn and another Event Deck card is pulled. This one affects the “native” side.

As the senior Pathan Mullah I surmised it would be best to heed the call of Allah to rid the valley of these northern infidels by the Tulwar! So it is written, so it shall be done. 

With that said all the tribesmen must charge headlong into battle for the remainder of the game. Luckily the Afghan Regulars were not affected by this event card.

With our strategy out the window we let the dice fly and all the Pathan units would charge on their upcoming movement cards and every turn following for the remainder of the game.

Successive black cards are pulled, a unit of Ghazis and then the Afridi’s both charge the Kanzanski Rifles before they can evade.

The third clan of Ghazis charges the withdrawing Borodinski Regt….

…..as the Afghan Regulars continue to follow the retreating Russians towards the vill.

The Kanzanski Rifles loose the melee and route back towards the village with less than 25% effectives, only their command survived. They are hotly pursued by the remaining Ghazi tribe.

The Tajik tribesmen advance as the Tajik Black Lanes continue to route.

Cossacks continue to move behind the vill to counter the Afghan cavalry.

All the Pashtun tribesmen begin to surge forwards in the uncontrollable mass charge as the Afghan gun crew unlimber and take up position on the Afghan left.

The Borodinski Regt keep falling back to the vill, but in good order.

TO BE CONTINUED ......

https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/2022/08/

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #719 on: October 31, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
Mogala 18th September 1890
From Umra Khan to Gen. Bindon Blood

Dear Bibi,
may the Lord always find you in good health, as you will know my Afridis have sustained a very epic  battle  in the Chitral
Preponderant force of Russians soldiers entered the Chitral with the aim of subduing the state of the Noble Aman-ul-Mulk, the ‘Great’ Mehtar of Chitral,  a personal friends of mine and a loyal servant of the Sirkar.

A coalition of Pathans, including my brave and courageous Afridis, may THE TRUERULER always protect them from enemies, repelled the Russian forces.
Evil tongues thought I dispatched  my men to  Chitral with other purposes contrary to the interests of Her Highness Queen Victoria, but  my precious informants had told me that the powerful Russian Father wanted to wage war on the British.

My informant was generously rewarded for his service of course.

Something had to be done quickly, time was tyrant…..
Knowing this I sent a strong contingent of valiant Afridis to lead the resistance against the evil Russians.

Surely you, Oh Powerful Hosoor, will appreciate my diligence and zeal in resolving the matter.
May the True Ruler always protect you,
Your humble servant
U.K.

PS: I would appreciate  the title of His Highness  and 21 gun salute as the ruler of the Princely State of Mogala,
His Highness Umra Khan !