Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2023-09-15  (Read 28668 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-18
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
Beautiful  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-18
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2021, 11:47:09 AM »
Khitai Honor guards painted up. They turned out fairly OK, but were not much fun to paint. Will start painting the Khitai javelin throwers next.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-20
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
More nice stuff. Well done.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-20
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
After a short Christmas break I managed to finish the Khitai Javelin throwers, leaving me only with the Khitai hero and the 5 "Foo dogs" left from this large box expansion. The Javelins were a bit banana shaped on some of the miniatures, not much that could be done about it either...

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-26
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2021, 09:40:27 PM »
Well, I managed to work through the Foo dogs in just a couple of hours - so just the Khitai hero left to paint from this expansion, hope to share him tomorrow along with a group shot of the whole box content.

Also - it was not until I was almost finished that I noticed that these "dogs" have two sets of eyes!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-26
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2021, 02:38:44 PM »
The Khitao hero painted up, which completes the Khitao big box expansion set. Now I have just a couple of small box expansions left to paint before my whole collection is complete. I will not be able to finish it before the end of the year as I had originally planned, but hopefully during January of 2022.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-27
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2021, 05:45:35 PM »
amazing.

your paint-jobs are fantastic - I suspect they make the figures look better than they actually are ...

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
amazing.

your paint-jobs are fantastic - I suspect they make the figures look better than they actually are ...

Thanks! I would not say that the quality of the miniatures is bad - it is fairly average and sometimes there is a distinct difference in "sharpness" between some sculpts and casts. But the type of plastic used for them is difficult to clean and remove mould lines. That and the soft bendy quality which affects spears and such is also a bit frustrating but I have learned to just cope with it.

I'll see if I will  be able to get hold of the Conan the Conqueror expansion and how those minis look. Read somewhere that the quality was slightly improved. I just really want to get my hands on that huge add-on and the single player mode  :P

Edit: I took a couple of (bad lightning) photos from my last game with my wife trying out the new Khitai content playing the scenario "The magnificent three". Super difficult for the heroes, we played it twice and swapped during our second game but I have a hard time thinking how the heroes can beat it. That is the way some of the Conan scenarios work - still love the game though.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:44:42 PM by Anatoli »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2021, 02:37:33 PM »
Worked on several models at the same time as a lot of airbrush, washes and oil washes were involved - and finished the Sabretooth tiger and the Demon of the Earth miniatures today. Currently waiting for the oil wash to dry on the Vanir Valkyrie and the Black Dragons before I resume painting them.

The Demon of the Earth miniature really reminded me of the "Myrkridia" monsters from the old PC game Myth II: Soulblighter (wish someone would remaster that old gem...). The likeness is so close I really wonder if the artist was inspired by them for the artwork and the sculpting for this game.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-29
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2022, 07:41:08 PM »
Painted up the Black Dragons today, not overly happy with the painting but they turned out "good enough" to move on to the next miniatures in line. The Black Dragons were not fun to paint due to how they are sculpted with lots of tiny details that are cast poorly. The less cluttered a model is with tiny details the better if the miniature is made out of this type of plastic.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2022-01-02
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2022, 07:44:09 PM »
Stunning work mate, that tiger in particular!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2022-01-02
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
superb.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2022, 09:49:44 PM »
Lovely as usual. I love the tiger stripes!

The Demon of the Earth miniature really reminded me of the "Myrkridia" monsters from the old PC game Myth II: Soulblighter (wish someone would remaster that old gem...).
I think there are a few fans here of that old game. I'd love to see it redone but the plot kept the same (so immersive) I'd love to see minis of it all made, there would be so many different factions for a tabletop game.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2022, 10:55:37 PM »
Thanks guys! It feels so damn good to be able to see the finish line for this project - 21 miniatures left to go (10 wolves, 10 crossbowmen and Baal-pteor)!

And Nemesis: Lockdown arrived yesterday which will need some painting once Conan is finished.

Lovely as usual. I love the tiger stripes!
I think there are a few fans here of that old game. I'd love to see it redone but the plot kept the same (so immersive) I'd love to see minis of it all made, there would be so many different factions for a tabletop game.

A miniature game based on the Myth world would be awesome! Soulblighter is to this day one of the most immersive games that I have played. The chilling soundtrack and storyteller in between the missions is just so perfect at setting the mood. I still have my old CD-rom version of the game but it did not want to run properly on my modern computer :(

This evening I finished the Vanir Valkyrie. This was a model that I was not looking forward to paint since the sculpt is very "soft" in its details. I approached it with a lot of patience and it probably took more time than I would like to admit to paint her up but I am pleased with the end result. I will use her as a stand in for a custom "Red Sonja" that I put together in the excellent and free to use "Overlord companion" https://the-overlord.com/Companion/Conan/#encyclopedia

Tomorrow I will be base coating the wolves, crossbowmen and Baal-pteor for a final push to finish this project before the end of the month. My vacation also ends on the 10th which will limit my painting time a bit as well, so I hope to paint up as much as I can before then.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2022-01-05
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »
Took a short break from paining, and the near end is always the most difficult step in any large painting project for me which is why I had my last 21 miniatures basecoated for a week while playing PC games and doing other stuff.

Today I rushed/speed painted through the 10 giant wolves, leaving 10 crossbowmen and Baal-pteor left. I really hope that the crossbowmen will surprise me just like a couple of other fiddly sculpts did by being more fun and easier to paint than I initially thought. Fingers crossed for that to be the case.