Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689288
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Deadzone 3rd edition coming  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Deadzone 3rd edition coming
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
like the look of the new dwarf stuff they've teased - there was a doc Ock'- like Artificer on the blog a while ago.

I saw that one too, not bad.  GW adamantly refuses to release new Squats so screw it, I'll take what else I can get - which is quite a lot, really.  Surprising number of space Dwarf ranges on the market. 

and 'ouch' re: colour scheme - when I was thinking of painting up some of their armoured enforcers and peacekeepers I was thinking of just such a blue and green combo' !

It's the muddy brown edge highlights on the green that turn my stomach more than the base colors themselves.  I'm assuming they were trying for a vaguely Judge Dredd-ish look there, but he pulls off blue & green much more effectively IMO.  Maybe take a cue from Old Stony Face and add a bit of contrasting red and/or yellow to the mix?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
It's the muddy brown edge highlights on the green that turn my stomach more than the base colors themselves.  I'm assuming they were trying for a vaguely Judge Dredd-ish look there, but he pulls off blue & green much more effectively IMO.  Maybe take a cue from Old Stony Face and add a bit of contrasting red and/or yellow to the mix?

maybe ... but in the first pic at the top of the thread - I really like the GCPS figs in that - both sculpts and paint-jobs.

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 02:39:52 PM »
maybe ... but in the first pic at the top of the thread - I really like the GCPS figs in that - both sculpts and paint-jobs.

They do look good there, granted.  Not being photographed in extreme close-up helps, single-fig shots on 28mm figs never look as good as group shots to me.  Something to do with focal distances, maybe.

Not like you're generally looking at things closer than arms length during play, right?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »
I think they would also look better with a darker definition between the greens. Not blacklining per se, but it's a bit of a mess of green tones now.
I just pre-ordered the book bundle and scenery add-ons at my Dutch distributor :D. Can't wait!!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »
Looks like dark blues for the the GCPS fatigues, and then a silver-gold colour for the hard armour that has been washed with green ink to make a metallic green. The beige colour for the highlights is the same metallic basecolour used again for the edges.

Honestly, coloured metallics like this can look really good for scifi, but it's not usually that great on small or uneven surfaces. Doing the green in a flat military olive colour instead for these models would have looked better IMO, but obviously everybody is free to like different things!   ;) lol

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 02:27:24 PM »
...but obviously everybody is free to like different things!   ;) lol

Conveniently the GCPS lads are basically corporate security ramped up to military standards, and since there's loads of different companies and subsidiaries involved there's no one color scheme for them in canon.  You can do anything you like with them without breaking with the setting - including something absurdly impractical like picking bright garish colors for them because Marketing ranks exposure and advertising over keeping a low visual profile on the battlefield.  Or at least that's my understanding of the setting.

Finding a way work corporate logos into the paint schemes seems like it would also fit.  Probably easiest on vehicles, which have more flat surfaces to work with. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »
I always read/understood the GCPS to be more like Private Military Contractors, but I don't see that conflicts with your interpretation of them either.

Either way, that still lets you do whatever you like with colours really - I mean, who's to say that R&D didn't determine that bright reflective green coatings on armour and equipment made it more resistant to enemy laser weapons operating on a particular power frequency, or that it was especially effective when fighting against certain alien races because their vision struggles to register that particular light wavelength? :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »
Either way, that still lets you do whatever you like with colours really ...

ummm, yes.
 ... honestly, we can paint them any which way. I think it's still allowed  ;)

interesting to read the thoughts on their approach to the metallic green. I've been looking at various ways of getting that sort of effect, inc. off the shelf coloured metallic paints (MIG AMMO).

prompted by a pic I found of some Antares which had a beautiful clean look of that sort ... will see if I can find it.

... and here it is:

was posted on the Antares community site and is the work of one 'Oddball' - don't have a website etc for him / her.

Looks a bit like a plain metallic paint - but prob. has a lot more going on that. Very smart painting.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:56:54 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
As usual my thoughts echo yours throughout this thread Chief Lackey Rich.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 08:33:28 PM »
like the look of the new dwarf stuff they've teased - there was a doc Ock'- like Artificer on the blog a while ago.

and 'ouch' re: colour scheme - when I was thinking of painting up some of their armoured enforcers and peacekeepers I was thinking of just such a blue and green combo' !
I like some of the other new GCPS rather more than the ones with shields tbh.

There are some more painted pics of the new Forge Fathers sub-Faction. I really like them!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »
yep, they look cracking.

that doc. Ock guy is inspired.