Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New to Interwar period  (Read 2826 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: New to Interwar period
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2021, 05:00:14 AM »
Excellent call on the Hopkirk books. It was his "The Great Game" that sent me into "The Back of Beyond". For more on the British experience I  can also recommend Antony Wynn's "Persia in the Great Game" which covers the career of Sir Percy Sykes, and "The Adventures of Dunsterforce" and "With the Persian Expedition" both of which cover the activities of Major General Dunsterville's expedition into Northern Iraq and the Eastern Caucasus in late 1917/1918. Fascinating stuff . 

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2021, 09:01:14 AM »
Come see our campaign in the 1933 ACW2 New Sacramento Campaign.  We are using a set called The men who would be warlord, a modified version of the men who would be king. 
We will be posting version 4 soon.  The campaign is in part to provide considerable playtesting of the rules.  The players are really pushing the rules and we are having games with vastly different forces as the campaign puts the field armies on to the battlefield. 
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »
Me, I always like Chris Peers rules. However, they are on the simple side (which I like), they usually call for a larger number of figures and are often very bloody.

Offline morrisbh

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
I must admit I was hoping for a universally accepted set of rules with army lists and points, but like most periods it is hard to get a common set. We mainly play throw down games with points and different scenarios. It saves us time and allows us to finish in a single session, the problem of a working life.
I have purchased a set of "Fistful of Lead: Big Battles" and I'm fairly sure I have a copy of BoB somewhere.

I will look up those references.

Thanks to all.
Brett

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
"Arc of Fire" is another set of rules you might consider, morrisbh. This one isn't too well known. I've played in a couple of games of it at our regional miniatures convention. I think I'm going to use it myself (already bought two copies) when I get around to 20mm WW2 and some early 20th Century actions in Africa and China. Here's 5 key factors to consider:

1. The book cost is only $20 from Brigade Games (charts in rules can be photocopied)
2. Authors not trying to sell a bunch of supplement books to increase your investment
3. Covers any action in the 20th Century
4. Designed for players to handle between 10 and 150 figures each (squad to company).
5. Uses d10 instead of d6 (I don't think d6 gives adequate room for modifiers)

Here's the link on Brigade Games:
https://www.brigadegames.com/Arc-of-Fire-Rules_p_2074.html

Here's an old review from 13 years ago on BoardGameGeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/27043/user-review

Having said all that about Arc of Fire, you could also use Pulp Alley for even smaller actions, such as sabotage of a bridge (as in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "Force 10 from Navarone"), or a prison camp rescue, or a small scouting mission, or a spy scenario. Pulp Alley is not really military, but it doesn't require super heroes or villains or wierd stuff or horror. You can make it look military depending on how the adventure scenario is set up and the figures that you use.

Here's a review on BoardGameGeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1261637/pulp-alley-gets-it-right

Here's the website:
https://pulpalley.com/

Sailors have more fun!

Offline morrisbh

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 03:27:03 AM »
I will certainly look into the Arc of Fire rules. Unfortunately we currently cannot get items posted from the US to Australia at this stage due to Covid restrictions.
Cheers

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
Morrisbh,
               Depending on the scale of game you want to do, take a look at One Hour Skirmish Wargames by John Lambshead.  Wonderful, fairly simple rules.  They are my current favorite, and have me planning all sorts of orders.