Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Julian's Persian expedition; Which Legions and Cohorts Involved?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Julian's Persian expedition; Which Legions and Cohorts Involved?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »
I think the shield with the scorpions on is a Praetorian cavalry design. The 4th and last shields are definitely from Dura. The Arms and Armour report on the Excavation at Dura-Europus by Simon James is a good compilation of the military finds. Published by Oxbow Books. It has some colour plates and reconstructions of the shields found there but also discusses other evidence found elsewhere.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 08:03:31 AM »
I think the shield with the scorpions on is a Praetorian cavalry design. The 4th and last shields are definitely from Dura. The Arms and Armour report on the Excavation at Dura-Europus by Simon James is a good compilation of the military finds. Published by Oxbow Books. It has some colour plates and reconstructions of the shields found there but also discusses other evidence found elsewhere.

Thanks you Adam. That sounds like just the ticket!  8)

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 08:53:07 AM »
I still highly rate the Fall of the West  WAB supplement for the Late Roman Army. If (as suggested earlier) the Gallic army formed the backbone of Julians Persian invasion then FOTW sets our the units in the Gallic force and has some shield designs in the illustrations. But for deeper research I would take the unit names and look further on Luke Ueda-Sarson's notitia dignitatum web pages.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
I still highly rate the Fall of the West  WAB supplement for the Late Roman Army. If (as suggested earlier) the Gallic army formed the backbone of Julians Persian invasion then FOTW sets our the units in the Gallic force and has some shield designs in the illustrations.

I've got Fall of the West. I kept all my WAB Supplements.

But for deeper research I would take the unit names and look further on Luke Ueda-Sarson's notitia dignitatum web pages.

I've got pretty much all the Notitia Dignitatum shileds in colour in Armies of the Late Roman Empire AD 284 to 476: History, Organization and Uniforms, Gabriele Esposito, though there's certainly no harm in double checking with the Luke Ueda-Sarson's notitia dignitatum web pages.

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
If the book you refer to has all the shield designs in colour then it’s a must add to my library! Thanks

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
If the book you refer to has all the shield designs in colour then it’s a must add to my library! Thanks

It does. I cannot vouch for the accuracy though. That's why I wanted to double check them against Luke Ueda-Sarson's notitia dignitatum. If they're both a good fit then that would be good enough for me.

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
I agree. Since there are several copies of the notitia with different colour schemes, you have to draw the line somewhere and say that’s good enough. If you are hand painting the shields, or in my case creating transfers, I think a good dash of artistic reinterpretation of the motifs and colours used can bring out some great results.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
I agree. Since there are several copies of the notitia with different colour schemes, you have to draw the line somewhere and say that’s good enough. If you are hand painting the shields, or in my case creating transfers, I think a good dash of artistic reinterpretation of the motifs and colours used can bring out some great results.

I'm going to have to go with transfers. I've got so many projects on the go (which is actually unusual for me over the last few years). Hope I'm not diving back into old habits!  :o

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »
If you stroll though my late roman army I have a few units from my Gordian III army that also served with Julian, you will see in the notes

https://stormandconquest.blogspot.com/search/label/Late%20Roman

cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 11:57:38 AM »
If you stroll though my late roman army I have a few units from my Gordian III army that also served with Julian, you will see in the notes

https://stormandconquest.blogspot.com/search/label/Late%20Roman

cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt, that's excellent!  8) 8) 8)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 05:41:32 PM »
happy to be of service!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »
happy to be of service!

It's appreciated mate  8)

Offline Ten Fingered Jack

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »
It's ironic that the Gallic army mutinied and acclaimed Julian emperor because Constantius II wanted to draft vexillations from it for a campaign against Persia. After Constantius' death from disease, the Gallic troops marched East with Julian on his disastrous Persian campaign.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
And a note of caution on Sidebottom. He is very good on Romans, not so much on Persians. But a good read none the less.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
Hi Shahbahraz
Could you be a little more specific ? I'm very interested in Sassanid Persians. And I do like Sidebottom's novels.
Philippe