Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do you still do gormless things?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: Do you still do gormless things?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 09:57:24 PM »
Much like has.been’s point 2: a number of times (during the long, cold winter painting evenings) I’ve sat down in my comfy armchair by the roaring fire to paint whilst my wife watches something I’m not particularly interested in on tv. Not upstairs, alone at my desk with the daylight bulb. I go to bed thinking I’ve done an excellent job just to wake up and see in the harsh light of day it’s all wrong and looks awful in anything but the semi dark! And it’s nearly always when I’ve been really enjoying the process and pleased with how it’s going.

Oh and knowing when to stop on a figure. Adding something else or fiddling with colours/wash/glaze/pigments and I’ve ruined what was a perfectly good paint job beforehand.

BALM

Also I’ve scratch built some lovely added details on some of my 15mm vehicles, neatly painted them only to find the final assembly means you can’t really see it. I know it’s there though.
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 10:58:17 PM »
It's catching.

The bleeding stopped so I've given up for the evening. Apparently the long nose pliers right in front of me and been in use all night .Were nolonger suitable for picking up and pushing in the twenty third, freshly cut wire pin of the evening into card.  I mean why wouldn't you, when it's worked twenty two time's in a row. Suddenly decided your finger tip is sturdier than the pliers and pre drilled holes.  lol

(I have a jar of brushes that say I've not learnt my lesson  with super glue.Partly because I work so fast .But more often than not,it's because I'm  a twit.((That jar is supposed to be a reminder.  ::)))

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 08:00:21 PM »
Yes. Like forgetting where I have put things all the time.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 08:48:51 PM »
I have a phobia about ruining a customer's stuff, fortunately it happens very rarely .. although it sometimes does happen. The follow incidents still cause my face to heat up in shame when I think of them.

Once I was sent a beautiful resin Halfling model from Westfalia, with a separate hand holding a burning torch aloft. Of course, anyone who has ever put together any sort of multi-part kit will recognise the ability of little bits to leap unnaturally from the hand and immediately wink out of our universe into a parallel dimension. That damn hand just leapt from my fingers and went ... somewhere on my floor and I even heard its faint patter as it landed. I literally stripped the entire room and searched in every single box and corner. I've never found it yet and I had to refund Westfalia for the loss of the model.

Similarly I once took delivery of a lovely resin Succubus model, with a very delicate swirly tail. Wow, thinks I, what a delicate ... snap. Like 1mm thin, absolutely no chance of fixing it. I had to return it and massively apologise, then decline an offer to send a replacement because I knew damn well I'd just do the same thing again!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 09:43:48 PM »
But have you ever stuck yourself to a model or picked up a hot soldering iron by the wrong end???

Hope it was not your best brush.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »
It might be simpler to ask who has -not- stuck themselves to a model?

Though picking up the soldering iron by the wrong end is somewhat ‘overachieving’ :-)

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »
Never picked up an iron by the wrong end, but I did try to catch a soldering iron that I dropped once…….that hurts  :o

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 10:21:49 AM »
But have you ever stuck yourself to a model...

Just the other day. Figure disappeared and I spent half an hour waterboarding the carpet monster to return it. Gave up and went to pick mi' nose, gave myself a nosebleed from a spear up the snotbox...
at least I found the little bleeder!

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
I have yesterday rebuilt/renewed my home computer, as I deserved it.

This necessitates much cursing to bless the new construct, addition curses levelled at manufacturers and operating system provider, more curses for the insistence I tie said new thing to my online accounts for better integration.. I don't want better integration leave me alone...

this of course leads to the necessary cleaning dusting and tidying of my little study/spare room that has been sacrificed to my "needs"..

I now have a freshly acquired collection of arms, legs, torsos, heads etc, of 28mm scale, most of which I don't remember "pinging off" whatever I was doing. How the vacuum of oblivion never got to them is a mystery. they must have been holding on tightly to the skirting board.

Needless to say to my better half's amazement (or despair its a close call), most of the bits I can identify almost to the sprue/manufacturer/blister pack or box and era of its release, now I just have to put the bits back in each. Maybe paint them one day  ::)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2021, 07:35:24 PM »
Spend hours working on a model.  Everything is perfect.  Spray prime said model.  See cat hair stuck on the model in the spray paint.  Take thumb and smudge away the hair.  Now realize you have not only failed to remove the hair, but now also smudged up a spray job and will now need to strip the model, hoping the acetone will not melt the greenstuff/glue/magic that was holding everything together.

Get annoyed, drink a beer, pick up model to frown, and see another hair on it, stuck in the now dried primer.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 08:32:19 PM »
Get annoyed, drink a beer, pick up model to frown, and see another hair on it, stuck in the now dried primer.

Drink another beer, pick up the cat...
and strangle it!

>:D

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »
I like to accidentally drink from the paint water now and then. 

Is that gormless?  I have no idea what that word actually means.......  lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 10:33:54 PM »
I like to accidentally drink from the paint water now and then. 

Pretty much, but not as gormless...
as mistaking the turps cup for yer tea!

:o

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 02:20:33 AM »
Gormless?

I ran out of gorms a loooooong time ago.  I understand there's some off the coast of California stalled in the hundred ship backlog.  But they'll be past their expiration date by the time when they arrive.

IIRC, expired gorms smell worse than fish left out for a similar period of time.  Not looking forward to having to clean up the slimy leakage if they actually get delivered.  Hoping they don't clear customs.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »

S’easy - the Colonial Philospher Gump explained it. “Gormless is a as gormless does” :-)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:01:33 AM by Moriarty »