Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hello from Upstate New York, USA  (Read 3613 times)

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
Hello from Upstate New York, USA
« on: March 24, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
After a silly snafu involving me entering my own username in incorrectly--fixed now--I just figured I'd say hello and introduce myself. I've painted miniatures on and off for a good number of years now. I remember my first mini I "painted" was a Mithril orc fighting a great eagle wherein I glopped on a bunch of high gloss enamel paint with a brush large enough to paint a house. Thankfully my skills, paints, and tools have improved since then. I have, however, taken a bit of time off from painting from which I am only just now returning. Turns out graduate school has a way of shelving your hobbies for longer than one would expect. The upshot is that I find myself eager to pick up the brush once more and I look forward to explore the newer painting techniques that I've missed out on over the past ten years or so.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Hello from Upstate New York, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 03:53:15 PM »
Welcome Ignis!  :D Growing up in Ottawa Canada, our US cable feed came from Upstate New York. More specifically Rochester NY and the PBS station from Watertown/Norwood.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 03:56:34 PM »
Welcome & I hope it will not be long before
we see some of your current work.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
Welcome  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
 I am originally from Upstate NY myself. Welcome aboard!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
I'm once again back in Western NYS, so yeah.  Welcome.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline RichCitti

• Student
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 02:51:13 PM »
Where in Upstate?  I am currently located in Syracuse and consider Upstate anything north of the NY Pennsylvania border, but when I worked in NYC Upstate was anything north of White Plains.

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 07:50:43 PM »
Where in Upstate?  I am currently located in Syracuse and consider Upstate anything north of the NY Pennsylvania border, but when I worked in NYC Upstate was anything north of White Plains.

I am actually quite far away from where I consider home (Santa Cruz, CA), but I moved out to Binghamton for grad school and have decided to stick around. What can I say, the cost of living is very reasonable and there are enough hobby-related resources to get by on. I will say that at times it feels like Binghamton is about three hours away from any major city, but we have a couple of good nerd stores and I'm looking forward to engaging with the gaming community more now that I have a bit more free time on my hands.

Offline RichCitti

• Student
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 04:33:32 PM »
Binghamton is not a bad base if you want to go the HMGS conventions in Lancaster, PA.

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »
Binghamton is not a bad base if you want to go the HMGS conventions in Lancaster, PA.

HMGS Conventions? Can you elaborate? We have a couple of small cons here in Binghamton but I'm pretty sure their more RPG oriented. Lancaster, PA, isn't too far of drive. I'll certainly have to look into convention options. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline RichCitti

• Student
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 03:22:16 PM »
They usually do two a year.  Cold Wars (a winter convention) and Historicon in late July.  You can get more info at https://www.hmgs.org/mpage/HconHome.

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 04:48:51 PM »
Welcome, I also spent years in Binghamton during grad school and my early career.  I was lucky to find good gaming groups there at two different times. Unfortunately,  mostly scattered now. Heck, I've been in the Pacific for 25 years. RichCitti is right.  Bingo is a good base to get to the HMGS cons. I went twice a year for a decade.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 09:36:42 PM »
Welcome, I also spent years in Binghamton during grad school and my early career.  I was lucky to find good gaming groups there at two different times. Unfortunately,  mostly scattered now. Heck, I've been in the Pacific for 25 years. RichCitti is right.  Bingo is a good base to get to the HMGS cons. I went twice a year for a decade.
Hey, cool. Nice to meet another BU grad. I've been looking to find some gaming groups around here. It seems that most people I have met around these parts play 40K. That's cool and all, and I do have two or three armies laying around, but I'm kinda tired of giving all of my hard-earned money to Games Workshop. I'd really like to check out some other miniatures games (maybe something historical) but I've been out of the hobby for a while and I'm still trying to figure out what else is popular.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 11:03:06 PM »
I'd really like to check out some other miniatures games (maybe something historical) but I've been out of the hobby for a while and I'm still trying to figure out what else is popular.

Take a look at the Fistful of lead family of games (Wiley Games)
Simple, quick to play, only a few figures needed to get started and... FUN.

Due to only needing a few figures, to get a game, means you could try
several periods quite quickly & for low cost. Nothing to then stop you
moving on (getting more involved in a period) & trying other rules later.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 12:28:45 AM »
For another great con in the Northeast : Huzzah! in Portland Maine is a topflight miniatures con at a nice venue.  4 days in May this year (usually 3, but here's some lost time to make up for).
https://mhwa.info/huzzah-may-12-15-2022/