Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (BIG Update incl. Dragon)  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Criamon

• Librarian
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
Very great post! You have all my atention!

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »
Thx guys.

I like to use the familiars as bigger Charakters or monsters. Some pics later.

For now a bit more on realm of chaos track. 4 of my pestigors (Ral Partha) love the sculpts and i think they fit best to Nurgle out of all potential chaos gods.

And some plague Skeletons (Ral Partha), gave some of them 'magical' weapons for skirmish gaming.

The best chaos dwarfs on the market by Admiralty Miniatures, remembers me to buy some more  :D

I also have a weakness for big banners.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 08:32:08 AM »
Some very cool miniatures there. The idea to use the Citadel familiar is a good one!

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2022, 09:27:00 AM »
Using the Sunday morning properly. So here we go with smaller Critters and other Monsters.

Somehow I'm also a bit into oldhammer despite ending up in 15mm. So here we see a small owl bear from Bombshell Miniatures (also a familiar). By his side are two Rouge Trader squigs from GW.

Ande more RT

Now it gets a bit more Strange Advenced D&D i think by Ral Partha, in the middle a beautiful sculpt by Knightmare Miniatures and a finally a fish abomination from GW.

And something i had to finish for Halloween last year. (GW)

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »
So my lumberjack Dwarf from alternative armies

The things who try to eat him

And the rescue Party from scibor

with a bit of luck i can take the guys out for a spin this evening.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 12.4.)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 06:53:02 PM »
Was there any luck with the game?

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 01:15:31 PM »
Very nice additions.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 03:56:17 AM »
That banner rocks!!!

Dan

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2022, 07:54:34 PM »
Thank you guy for the kind words.

Sadly i had no time to play a game, but over several days i was able to chip some time away to paint. So here some new additions.

First this cute little fellow (Epic 40k, GW)

Trolls (Scibor)

Funky Spiders And the Chicken who eats them (Alternative Armies)

Hinkelstein (GW, Giant Throwing Stone)

The Old Gods are calling (Crooked Dice)

Contested Chaos Obelisk (Mini Monsters)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 24.4.)
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
The cockatrice is great! You did it justice.
If I ever order again from Alternative Armies I should get me one.

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »
The cockatrice is great! You did it justice.
If I ever order again from Alternative Armies I should get me one.

Thanks!

Its one of the better models from their 'monster' range. The quality of their miniatures has a huge variation, even in the same range sometimes.
But they are a great supplier after all, who nearly has everything. Also was the easiest address in Europe for 15mm fantasy, bevor the Brexit. Have still some bigger stuff from them on the workbench.

Also if anybody needs some size compression from ranges, just ask, or you want some detail shots of a special miniature.

Hope to get a battle report done today  :D have some plans for the rest of my weekend

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »
Tonight my girlfriend and I played the second Scenario of Forbidden Psalm. The Animal Cultist Hunt.

Instead for Animal Cultist i went for fishman trying to summon an Old one. (normal cultist stats)

First the Warband, lead by a crazy goblin wizard (Ral Partha Gobos, Scibor 'Troll', GW Squig)

And my Dwarves ready to slay some Fishman (Scibor)

Aim of the Scenario is to kill as many Fishman as possible and not to die. The setup we enden up with.

Pretty Fast our brave wizard realised he had packed not the best Scrolls for the mission. leaving him a bit clueless what to do.

The dwarves started pretty fast, by ganging up on the fishman. Slaying already 3 in the first turn.

Two fishman where able to summon another one at the edge of the table. And as the first Turn ended only 6 from 10 fishman where left standing.

Aiming his nasty bow at the fishman, the goblin archer started the second turn killing one.

On Turn four a brawl between the troll and some dwarfs started to get bloody reducing the HP of the Troll to 4. Also the last fishaman was clinging on to his life. Gobos there leading with 6 dead fish.

Turn 6 started with a hard hit. The dwarven leader was able to slay the goblin berserker. In the end the wound wasn't lethal, but the goblins one man down.

In the End the Troll was able to survive with 1HP left. The Goblin Squig was the star of the game, spraying his acid saliva all over the place killing two fishman. Gobos 6 vs. Dwarves 5 Nice XP Grind for both sides and some good earnings.

I had some other stuff prepared if the fishmann would have been able to summon bigger things:
Cult Leaders (Ral Partha AD&D)

Cultists (khurasan miniatures)

Walking Fish (GW, Familiar)

I hope the short write up is entertaining  :D Evry Cultist and Fishman painted in april.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 1.5.)
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
How would you compare Forbidden Psalm to other skirmish-like rulebooks? I might be interested in getting it.
Also, all the fishy dudes are excellent. Now you’ve made me want to crank up the printer for some Deep Ones that I had in my pile of STLs.

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »
How would you compare Forbidden Psalm to other skirmish-like rulebooks? I might be interested in getting it.
Also, all the fishy dudes are excellent. Now you’ve made me want to crank up the printer for some Deep Ones that I had in my pile of STLs.

Hi Reed,

a particular rule system in mind to compare it to?

There are two big other D20 systems to compare it to. Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow deep. Both are campaign driven like Forbidden Psalm. First thing that sets it apart for me is FB can be played versus, coop or single.
The other main difference for me is, that FP has its own crazy world inspired by the Mörk Borg Roleplaying game. The character creation is simply more fun as in the other two. I always had the problem in Frostgrave and Rangers that the members of your group feel a bit to impersonal. I always felt even the apprentice in FG feels like a simple henchmen.
FB gives each character a random flaw and feat, a random name and so on. You could randomly create the members and then start painting or kit bashing them together. Everything taken with a bit of humor, not for rules and fluff fetishist. Definitely not a competitive game.

The game itself plays fast, a bit more on the roleplaying side of things in term of tests and dice. You try to score a 12 on a d20 with modifiers. 4 Stats for tests to manage the hole game. For damage you need a hole set of rpg dice.
You can distribute these values (+3, +1, 0, -3 Or +2, +2, -1, -2) freely on the 4 stats, to modefiy your rolls. In the end Agility, Presence, Strength and Toughness. Ther is an armour value (Equipment), movement (5+ag) and HP (8+t) .
Magic and shooting is less powerful than in FG.
The campaign system is fun, you can progress your guys stats wise. Injury stacks. On the other hand some fun stuff is only found in book two (In the Footsteps of the Mad Wizard) like firearms, pets and monster creation rules. Their discord has also rules for custom scenarios.
Normally there are no big guys like the troll in FB. I simply asked the author in discord, if it would be worth a try to double the stat lines and reduce the band down a member. Morphing to members in big one. Its not perfect but not a problem at all. Still testing it, but had no issues at all for now.
If you like to tinker a bit yourself FB is a grate sandbox. Stuff like using the stats of a Ulfberht Sowrd (causes bleeding on a crit) as cleaver for a rat ogre and so on.

In the end its lighter than Mordheim, Fist Full of Lead,  Thud and Blunder etc. More comparable to Frostgrave, Rangers and Songs of Blades and Heroes, but i find it a bit deeper, especially compared to the last one. The members of the war band feel all a bit more different for me. More a band of adventurers, than a hired troop of henchman.

Hope it helps. If you have any specific questions simply ask, ore take a look in their discord. Also Guerrilla Miniature Games has some reports on yt and a flip through the two existing books. ;)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2022, 12:25:20 PM »
Many thanks for your insights, really useful.