Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)  (Read 11469 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »
I must admit I read the big-up in Miniature Wargames and from that I thought Meh!

No real mechanics descriptions, and very bland characterizations of its tropes (and I don't like that word >:D).

So more of a little-down  lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2022, 08:33:41 AM »
I too was disappointed in the rules. Hideously generic with little content. I'm kind of surprised Osprey put this through frankly, I've found better rulesets online for less then £5.

I suspect I should of known something was up when the creator essentially made a comment saying "Pulp isnt a set genre" when it bloody well is! Yes, it's got multiple sub genres  but it's more then just a tone

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2022, 03:03:39 PM »
I was curious about possibly getting this as an option from pulp alley but nothing anyone has said is making a compelling case for me.  I saw the GMG review and it didn't seem good enough.  "Warband" doesn't sound pulp to me, and construction sounded vague too.  Does anyone know of any play through, demo?

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2022, 11:56:02 AM »
My copy arrived yesterday via Amazon.

A quick read through and I’ll concur with the opinion of the others. A poorly conceived and executed set of rules, easily the worst I’ve read from the Osprey blue book series.

Luckily, there was some minor damage to the spine so I’m returning it for a full refund to Amazon. If the rules were better I’d have Amazon replace it. But no.

I’d be interested to see if anyone has read the book and has decided that this is the Pulp ruleset for them.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm still waiting.I mean it's only been eleven days since I got Nick's conformation email.Got to love the GPO lol

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2022, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm still waiting.I mean it's only been eleven days since I got Nick's conformation email.Got to love the GPO lol

I ordered twice from Hasslefree during their most recent sale. Both orders were dispatched at the same time (why they didn't consolidate them, I have no idea). The second order turned up eight days after the first o_o

Post is all over the place just now  :(

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2022, 02:05:22 PM »
Hi Tin Shed
Drop us an email, we can find the tracking number for you. But I know where it is, on a big pile of undelivered mail.
Nick

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2022, 09:00:06 PM »
I will do Nick.
It was ment as amusing rather than a grumble. I'm well aware how bad the post is .
I sent Dag's a sculpt with next day delivery it arrived last Friday despite being posted the Friday before,and being noted as out for delivery on the Tuesday.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2022, 03:14:29 PM »
I was concerned my lack of enthusiasm when I got the rules was based on the high quality of some of these recent Osprey hardback games (Lion Rampant, Frostgrave, Stargrave etc).  The small blue book seems so weak compared to those in terms of physical presence :)

It might have some use as a simple skirmish ruleset, so I will probably give it a try with my gaming group.  We usually do Pulp or 7TV for this genre, but both of those sometimes require a bit more prep than a quick pick-up game allows for.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
Firstly,
A quick nod to Nick. True to his word Nick sent me the tracking details . For the last couple of day's it's come up as will be updated as soon as we attempt delivery.  Sat down tonight and checked at 6pm still the same response. Figured Hay Ho it'll be the strike still doing me a mischief. 6.05pm knock at the door. Here it is.( Checked again it's still marked as not out for delivery  ::) )
I've just had a quick flick through glancing at pictures and tables/ charts.
The first thing I noticed several if not all of the Pulp Alley miniatures photos are Bobs photos. In so far as they're one's he's used and posted long before the rules.
So for me it doesn't bode well. When you can't even be bothered to have your own photos staged for the solo purpose of illustrating the points and the rules.
It just put me in mind of the teenager cutting and pasting in a Wikipedia page into their homework. Because they think noone will notice.
The other thing I noticed is just how abruptly it stopped. For a second you wonder if there's pages missing.
So I'm going to sit back and read them this evening. Hopefully their slightly more use than a fire lighter.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 03:43:03 PM »
Osprey have released a solo expansion.
Apparently they never meant for solo rules to be mentioned in the core book and any mention of them was an oversight, so they have released some solo rules via free PDF to fix the issue.

https://ospreypublishing.com/uk/osprey-blog/2022/pulp-solo-and-cooperative-rules-free-download/

"We recently released Pulp! by Marco Arnaudo and have been delighted to hear how much you’ve all been enjoying playing it so far. With that said, we wanted to address an issue that was picked up post-release.

Unfortunately during the publishing process a reference to solo and co-operative play was included in the description for the book, which was not removed before publication despite these play modes not featuring in the final game. We’re really sorry that this happened and have been working with Marco behind the scenes to make this material available to you as soon as possible to ensure that everyone can play this game in these modes should they wish to do. A huge thank you to Marco for dropping everything to get this sorted!"

Seems like quite a glaring oversight but since my copy hasn't turned up yet I can't say how glaring. Having just read through the 4 pages of solo/co-op rules I have to say I'm not optimistic about the core game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:50:20 PM by Mammoth miniatures »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 03:56:09 PM »
It's mentioned on the back cover and "Key Concepts" on page 4, so pretty glaring lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 04:55:14 PM »
Those tight word counts to hit 64 pages strike again! 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »
Well, I got mine, and have read through them.  I'm not put off by them, but I'm not hyper-excited by them either.  There were a few editing issues in them, and no vehicle rules whatsover....

I think I'll see about my weekly gaming group playing them this coming Wednesday.  I think i can come up with vehicle rules that fit within the spirit of the game, as the scenario I have in mind involved 1920s US gangsters robbing a mail truck (guarded by US Marines)....

I'll post a battle report, and a few thoughts on the rules, in my thread here after we play Wednesday...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
Osprey have posted on instagram/facebook & posted the following:

⏬ Pulp! Free download - Solo and cooperative rules ⏬

We recently released Pulp! by Marco Arnaudo and have been delighted to hear how much you’ve all been enjoying playing it so far. With that said, we wanted to address an issue that was picked up post-release.

Unfortunately during the publishing process a reference to solo and co-operative play was included in the description for the book, which was not removed before publication despite these play modes not featuring in the final game. We’re really sorry that this happened and have been working with Marco behind the scenes to make this material available to you as soon as possible to ensure that everyone can play this game in these modes should they wish to do. A huge thank you to Marco for dropping everything to get this sorted!

Download it here: https://bit.ly/3FM81mi

So, with that, we’re very pleased to make this available to you now as a free, downloadable PDF. We will be posting this in all of the forums that we’re active in but would encourage you to share this with your friends and fellow players.

Once again, we’re incredibly sorry that the information about this game was incorrect on release but hope that you enjoy playing the game with these new modes.

Please note that the description has now been amended and will be corrected on the print version in our upcoming reprint.

Many thanks,

Team Osprey Games

https://ospreypublishing.com/media/2zub02zz/pulp-solo-and-coop-rules.pdf

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:10:56 PM by aircav »