Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690330
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game Report: The Secret Chemicals  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
Game Report: The Secret Chemicals
« on: January 26, 2023, 07:10:13 PM »
I've been getting to grips with the Solo Rules over the last few weekends; there's no campaign as yet until I feel I know what I'm doing and stop forgetting crucial details. I've also been working on my leagues, so the "Auxiliary police" has ironically become more diverse, drawing members from different backgrounds into Oswald Moseley's new police force. On ascension they were scraping the bottom of the barrel but they've scraped together a bunch of ne'r do wells concerned citizens under Colonel Lawrence Oliver.

Against them is the 'Aroura' crew under their Captain Betsy Miller. According to the Daily Mail and (if you can't believe the Daily Mail who can you believe) These are just the sort of low down debauched con artists/cowards/pirates/thieves that the Auxiliary Police are there to keep in check.

As usual the action takes place on Ascension Island. Two trucks have crashed on a crossroads; the larger of the two was carrying some secret chemicals which have fallen out of the back on impact. I'm not sure how this would happen but Pulp never lets physics get in the way of a good story.

The Aroura crew have heard about it and are coming to see what they can find (and sell to some filthy foreign power according to the Daily Mail), but the Auxiliary police are also on their way to secure the vials of mysterious liquid; who will be first to secure the prize?

View from the other side showing spilled boxes:

This and the secondary plot points are marked with metal circles. The Auxiliaries are at the top of this picture, the Aroura Crew are on the left. I'm playing the Aroura League as a "Company of Heroes" so they have two sidekicks and one Ally.

The Auxiliaries got the initiative by die roll, and the Aroura Crew had to struggle to catch up, especially as Johansen (Nearest Camera) Pulled a "Stuck in place" card and couldn't move for the turn. He still managed to shoot and clip "Commandant" Allan of the Auxiliaries though.

The Auxiliaries had clearly been given strict instructions. Lawrence (Left of the tank, as usual at the back) was aiming them for the truck, although Seaman Dundas was sent off to make sure the radio electric switch was locked in the 'on' position.

Lt. Gunning, de facto leader by virtue of having a really big gun, and the rest of the Auxiliaries spread out around the stricken truck as the Aroura crew ran towards it. McPherson leapt onto the roof to cover the Baddies with his sniper rifle but this was a distraction to cover for Betsy who can just be seen sneaking behind the crashed trucks.

This was unfortunate for Col. Lawrence who decided it would be safer on that side of the truck and jumped over to grasp the Chemicals, and came face to face with the renegade Captain.

It would be nice to say that the Colonel made a brave stand for King, country and Mysterious coloured liquids in the face of danger but we all know that's not true. He said a word we aren't going to repeat here, took out his revolver. dropped it, picked it up again and fired into the truck tyre next to his foot. Betsy fired at him three times, whereupon he ran away calling for Lt. Gunning to come and sort the problem out.

Gunning leapt over the box, sprayed the area liberally with bullets and grabbed the Chemicals. In the meantime MacPherson took out 'Matron' fox and Johansen came around the corner of the building, knocked Seaman Dundas prone and smashed the power switch.

This was to no avail however, as Gunning, chemicals in hand fired another burst and ran. At this point everyone from the Aroura was shooting at him; MacPherson even jumped onto the tank although this was less to get a better shot than because it looked cool.

#

Gunning escaped after his comrades ("Heroically protecting the precious cargo from these ruffians" as the Daily Mail had it) leaving the mystery of the chemicals unsolved...

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:38:36 PM by Andy in Germany »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Game Report: The Secret Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:19:13 PM »
Looks like a good game.  Pulp Alley is one of the best solo engines around.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 01:32:00 PM »
Looks like a good game.  Pulp Alley is one of the best solo engines around.

Yes it is. I was a bit sceptical at first but the random cards make it much more interesting. I think the new leagues work well too; my original "Auxiliary police" league was too weak. I may change it again one day to be a "mastermind" league when I'm better at remembering what everybody is supposed to be doing...

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 06:42:39 PM »
I’ve learned to do the skills in pencil, until I’m happy with them.