Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 09:15:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697130
  • Total Topics: 118809
  • Online Today: 409
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: OOh Rah review and Ooh Rah Kitbash review fixed!  (Read 3548 times)

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
OOh Rah review and Ooh Rah Kitbash review fixed!
« on: February 09, 2023, 07:19:42 AM »
Group pic, from left to right:

Ooh Rah Unmodified, Wargames Atlantic Bulldog, Wargames Atlantic Raumjager, Ooh Rah modified with Stargrave arms, Bulldog body with Ooh Rah head and arms, Stargrave body with Ooh Rah head and arms, Stargrave with Ooh Rah head.

Size comparison Ooh Rah Unmodified, Wargames Atlantic Bulldog, Wargames Atlantic Raumjager

Sideview Size comparison Ooh Rah, Bulldog with Ooh Rah and Stargrave with Ooh Rah

Size comparison Ooh Rah, Ooh Rah with Stargrave arms and Stargrave with Ooh Rah head

So I wanted to see how viable the Ooh Rah kit was mixing with other lines of plastic models. Alone, the Ooh Rah look....ok. I am not a fan of the legs. The pants are bulgy in a weird way in the crotch section, and the garters look bad. They do not look like equipment tie downs or a harness at all.

But when compared with other models, the Ooh Rah is lackluster. The arms are really really skinny. While the heads work on the models I used, the arms look awful. Plus, the Ooh Rah guy I used looks smaller than the Bulldog and the Raumjager ( although it might have been that particular model, the other one I used is taller).

I think the Ooh Rah guy with Stargrave arms does not look as emaciated as the normal Stargrave guy.

In short....I am very disappointed in the Ooh Rah kit. The arms and legs/pants are not great, almost no extra bits on the sprue, and aside from the heads, I don't think there is anything in the kit I will use. As a pure model they do not mix well with other Death Fields models, on their own they are smaller than Stargrave/Frostgrave.

I am also disappointed that the body is not like the Bulldog and Raumjager, in that it is a monopiece body and not a chest and legs body. I could have mixed and matched with the Bulldog to get better legs. The garters are also too close to the belt, else I might have tried filing them off.

I will do some more modding with Space Nam guys later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 04:54:19 AM by KGatch113 »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: OOh Rah Kitbash review
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 09:01:39 AM »
following with interest. Have been keen to see some of these minis.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: OOh Rah Kitbash review fixed!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »
Thanks for the review.
Also following with interest.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
Thanks for doing this review

The arms on the Oh Rah figures do look rather weird. Can’t say I’m a fan of the Bulldog figures either.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 08:07:40 PM »
Thanks for doing this review

The arms on the Oh Rah figures do look rather weird. Can’t say I’m a fan of the Bulldog figures either.

I'm not disliking them, but the pith heads seem really big and top heavy. Also seems that way with the Cannon Fodder helmet heads. That's why I made mine with the brodie helmet.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
Interested in what the space Nam look like.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the review!

This confirms two things that have been coalescing in my mind for a little while now: (1) the WA kits are all rather varies in scale/size/detail to be properly cross-compatible with each other, and (2) the Stargrave kits are wonderful, and do mix extremely well with each other and most Frostgrave kits.

On the whole, I've nonetheless been very pleased that WA are releasing more plastic kits of different types, but I do think a bit more consistency of thought/design would certainly go a long way to making their kits more appealing.

Speaking of WA, I recently got some of their Conquistadors - really lovely kits, and I think they'd mix superbly with Stargrave stuff to make more, er, "flouncy Grimdark" style models. I was wondering if they'd mix okay with the Ooh Rah or the Cannon Fodder, but after seeing this review, I suspect not.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 04:53:32 AM »
Thanks for the review!

This confirms two things that have been coalescing in my mind for a little while now: (1) the WA kits are all rather varies in scale/size/detail to be properly cross-compatible with each other, and (2) the Stargrave kits are wonderful, and do mix extremely well with each other and most Frostgrave kits.

On the whole, I've nonetheless been very pleased that WA are releasing more plastic kits of different types, but I do think a bit more consistency of thought/design would certainly go a long way to making their kits more appealing.

Speaking of WA, I recently got some of their Conquistadors - really lovely kits, and I think they'd mix superbly with Stargrave stuff to make more, er, "flouncy Grimdark" style models. I was wondering if they'd mix okay with the Ooh Rah or the Cannon Fodder, but after seeing this review, I suspect not.

I would bet money Stargrave guys were made off of a template and each kit just modifies that template, while a different designer does each of the Wargames Atlantic kits. I really want that company to succeed, but it seems each kit has just a little flaw here and there. I was hoping there would be less flouncy arms so I could use them for hand weapon carrying Stargrave guys, but alas no :(

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: OOh Rah review and Ooh Rah Kitbash review fixed!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 07:07:46 AM »
Did mean to get these for some bits for converting. However from the pictures it seems they suffer from the same problem the World War 1 Germans do. Namely those weird faces that seem pancake like or flat in nature. Just a personal opinion though.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
Did mean to get these for some bits for converting. However from the pictures it seems they suffer from the same problem the World War 1 Germans do. Namely those weird faces that seem pancake like or flat in nature. Just a personal opinion though.

I think the heads and faces are the best part of the kit. I will be using them on other models.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 12:13:50 PM »
Any idea how they'd take Bolt Action heads or arms?  I quite fancy these for Weird War.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 03:15:24 AM »
Any idea how they'd take Bolt Action heads or arms?  I quite fancy these for Weird War.

I have some German's downstairs, I will bring them up later and kit one together and message you.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 11:12:23 AM »
You know, as I look at these, they suddenly reminded of another kit that makes very similar figures in a similar style; Mantic's  GCPS Troopers. The GCPS is not a bad kit as such, but it has lots of near-misses, and these all add up to bring a great kit down to merely "okay" levels.

I may get a sprue of Ooh Rah and see if they are indeed better than GCPS or not.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 11:05:15 PM »
You know, as I look at these, they suddenly reminded of another kit that makes very similar figures in a similar style; Mantic's  GCPS Troopers. The GCPS is not a bad kit as such, but it has lots of near-misses, and these all add up to bring a great kit down to merely "okay" levels.

I may get a sprue of Ooh Rah and see if they are indeed better than GCPS or not.

If you are in the US I can't recommend McDougall Designs enough for single sprues etc.

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 10:32:57 AM »
If these are a bit daintier than other plastics that might work for me, if they'd fit well with Crooked Dice.