Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 now with French Provisional Dragoon Regiment  (Read 10605 times)

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Now with Landwehr
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 07:32:09 AM »
Thanks guys appreciate the nice comments 👍

This your simplified painting technique? Holy Moley.

Great choice for a project, all those landwehr and the sweepings of the depots. I assume you've found the OHW groups.io folks, should you want to bolt an extra rule or two onto the basic framework. Waiting to see your first battle report. With OHW, hopefully you can get your kids involved.

I found the Neil Thomas rules Facebook page. The guys there have have been super helpful and friendly. They've given me some good ideas on using hits as a way of showing troop quality. I also had a good discussion and some ideas on adding a simple command and control rule to give some friction if I play solo.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Now with Landwehr
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 06:16:55 AM »
Having painted a couple of battalions of Austrians I decided to switch it around and paint some Bavarians from the very nice Victrix plastic set my kids brought me for Christmas. If you remember back to my post a couple of weeks back I’m planning to do the 1809 Saxony/Bohemia side show. The Bavarian presence in this theatre was very small basically consisting of a single battalion made up of the depots companies of the 4th and 8th infantry regiments and the 5th light infantry battalion and a small artillery battery of 2 captured Austrian 3pdrs manned by gunners from an artillery depot company from Forcheim all attached to Junot’s French forces.

Now this was a bit of a problem as the Victrix set contained 50 odd miniatures and I’d be using about 16 of them seemed like a waste so I decided to errr… play with history a bit and make the Bavarian battalion into a small Brigade instead turning the depot companies into battalions. So I picked up a few extra Front Rank metals for an artillery battery and some officers. On a side note I like that Front Rank are still available as single miniatures rather than having to by 6-8 metals in a pack which seems the normal now.

Here is the first battalion finished this is the 1st battalion of the 8th infantry regiment I have to say I really struggled to paint these guys the Bavarian uniforms look very cool in my opinion but aren’t very painter friendly (or maybe its just me). In the end I think they came out ok but they certainly aren’t my best work.

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Now with my first Bavarian Battalion
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 01:43:36 PM »
Wonderful start to a well-researched force. Being immersed in my own "build a battle" adventure right now, I love the thought that went into your choices. If I ever get done with my project, I think I might follow your idea. It would be a great way to add a few of the other nations that my Waterloo project won't cover. I  wonder if there is a smaller scale battle involving Austrians, German states, Italians and Russians but not that many French/Prussians as I likely won't relish the thought of painting more of those after Waterloo.
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Diablo Jon goes Napoleonic for 2023 Now with my first Bavarian Battalion
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 05:00:59 PM »
Them fellers look great!  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Wonderful start to a well-researched force. Being immersed in my own "build a battle" adventure right now, I love the thought that went into your choices. If I ever get done with my project, I think I might follow your idea. It would be a great way to add a few of the other nations that my Waterloo project won't cover. I  wonder if there is a smaller scale battle involving Austrians, German states, Italians and Russians but not that many French/Prussians as I likely won't relish the thought of painting more of those after Waterloo.

Thanks having just checked out your Waterloo thread I think it's safe to say your project is a little bit bigger than mine  lol and hugely impressive.

By way of comparison to Waterloo the biggest battle in my chosen Campaign is Gefrees which saw 7,500  French and Bavarians take on 6000 Austrians and Black Brunswickers. Meaning there were less men at this battle than were in just d'Erlons corps at Waterloo.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
This weeks offering in my 2023 project is some skirmishing light infantry. In my chosen rule set of Neil Thomas’s One Hour Wargames infantry are split into.. err infantry and skirmishers. The Victrix Bavarian set, like a few of the plastic Napoleonic sets, contains a majority in march attack which I like and wanted to use for all my formed infantry battalions and a small number in more action oriented poses which to me look better as skirmishers. Now I had enough of these miniatures to do two units of eight miniatures as skirmishers the only decision was what type of unit to use as skirmishers.

The Bavarians unlike most other nations didn’t have a light company in their battalions instead each fusilier company had a small number of Schutzen armed with rifles that could be deployed as a skirmish screen they looked much like a fusilier except with the addition of a green plume this would have been a decent option but the Victrix miniatures all have musket and bayonet which wouldn’t be correct for Schutzen. The second option was to use some light infantry these gave me the option to paint some green jackets, instead of blue, and the muskets were correct. As I mentioned in my last post I’ve changed a composite battalion that took place in the 1809 campaign into a small brigade made up of the units that formed the composite battalion in real life in this case there was a company of 5th light infantry battalion so I decided my two skirmisher units would be light infantry.

I decided to put my skirmisher units on round bases as I like the look. Only having to paint eight miniatures made this unit a bit of an easy win and I liked the way they turned out now back to another infantry battalion for next week.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
They’re delightful - well done 8)

Edit. And having now read the entirety of the thread, a great project too. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:06:36 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
They look fantastic! Great looking skirmishers.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
They look fantastic! Great looking skirmishers.

+1 to that.  And that big rock came in handy for those 2 chaps...

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Thanks guys on to the next battalion.

This is the 2nd battalion of the 4th infantry regiment to accompany the 1st battalion I’ve already painted. As the 2nd battalion there are some subtle differences to the 1st battalion. The Grenadiers red plumes were actually halved white in the 2nd battalions of Bavarian regiments. The other difference is the flag there were a few variations during the Napoleonic wars but in 1809 the 1st battalions carried a white Leibfahne and the 2nd battalion carried a blue Ordinarfahne (personally I prefer the Ordinarfahne). I also decided to make the 2nd battalions officer walk instead of riding a horse. Right more Bavarian light infantry to paint for next week.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
I like your Blue and Green units of Bavarians, I think they are your best so far!
I know you went for the musket armed Light Infantry, but if you had decided to convert some Schutzen, what sort of rifle did they have and does anybody make some in 28mm?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
I like your Blue and Green units of Bavarians, I think they are your best so far!
I know you went for the musket armed Light Infantry, but if you had decided to convert some Schutzen, what sort of rifle did they have and does anybody make some in 28mm?

I'll be honest and say I don't know exactly what type of rifle they used I do know Wargames Foundry, Perry and front rank all make Bavarian Schutzen armed with rifles. The rifles seem much shorter than the muskets and lack a bayonet . Compare the musket armed grenadiers with the rifle armed Schutzen from Perry miniatures

Perry Schutzen marching

Perry grenadiers marching

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
Stunning work will be a joy to see these in a battle report in the future. Like the idea of picking a manageable backwater be good to see the rest of the project developing. Keep up the good work as they say.