Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Weird West by supervike updated April 26, 2023  (Read 5389 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Old Weird West by supervike updated April 26, 2023
« on: February 19, 2023, 02:36:21 AM »
I receive Dracula's America as a Christmas present back in 2021.  As I was neck deep in Shadow Deep at the time, I put it to the side.  Finally, I've broke it back out and have decided to give it a go.

I also would like to incorporate more games and story telling elements into my gaming/modelling/painting. Maybe something like Texas Rangers of the Shadow Deep...  So, anyhow, this will be a mix of Old West, Weird West, Dracula's America, etc. etc.

So, here's some local Roughs/cowhands/Ranchers to start me off.  All of these minis are from a Kickstarter Mark Evans did a little while back.

Every one knows that Hal Mcbride was a ornery, mean ol cuss. But most folks don't know his horse was even meaner. Nightmare, as he called her, bit the nose off of a Deputy down near Pine City. The bounty on the horse is now 35 bucks.

El Relampago once avoided and eliminated an entire posse of the Tom Bell Gang with nothing but his scorpion knife, a bottle of Mezcal, and a tin of chew.

William Bellinger survived and escaped the horrors of slavery shortly before the War of the States began.  He immediately volunteered for the Union and by the end of his service, had earned the rank of Second Lieutenant.  A capable and disciplined man, William moved out West to escape the violence.  But has he?

Lester Jones ain't allowed in the Last Chance Saloon no more on account he ain't paid his tab. $1.25 for whiskey, and two dollars to Ms. Kitty for 'services rendered'.

There ain't been a cell built that could hold Jonny Stone. A few Pinkerton boys had him shackled inside a rail car while they transported him back to Yosemite to stand trail. Not only did he escape without a witness, but he was spotted back in town, cavorting with the Sheriff's wife, that very evening.

Marshal Virgil Dodson claims he took down Duke Holland's gang and buried old Duke himself just south of the bell tower at Boot Hill. Hell, they even wrote up a story for them newspapers back east. But, let me let you in on a little secret. That there coffin only held some barbed wire and a dead goat.

Rumor has it that Micky Dinger shot a man (and his dog) just for snoring.

Stinky Pete, as the legend goes, was shot up while trying to cheat at a game of Stud Poker.  Now, he roams around, always looking for his lost Ace.  Miners say that if you spot him, you'll die within the week.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:19:36 AM by supervike »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old Weird West by supervike
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 05:51:59 AM »
Great write ups and story bi-lines. Just a thought...why not make an Ace of Spades Just out of reach of poor ole Stinky Pete past the rattler about to how off the base??

Great work. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
Lovely stories and some nice brushwork. I'll follow along that trip.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 09:39:35 AM »
You’re doing right to put a story behind every single one of them. This sure will add a lot of fun to every action performed on the gaming table. Well done and well painted as well!  :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 09:44:15 AM »
Brillant! And the stories are indeed just what an Old West game needs!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:11 AM »
Lovely work. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 04:04:57 PM »
Very good painting.   :)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »
Masterful brushwork! Well done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 08:26:29 PM »
Great write ups and story bi-lines. Just a thought...why not make an Ace of Spades Just out of reach of poor ole Stinky Pete past the rattler about to how off the base??

Great work. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
😎

Clever idea!!

Thank you all for the kind words.  The stories are just as fun as the painting for me.

During Mark Evans' Kickstarter, (where these minis came from) I was goofing off in the comments, creating a little story for each in the campaign.  It seemed a shame to not use those stories as I painted them.  So Mark gets credit for the names of the characters.. (and the great sculpts!)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:33:39 PM by supervike »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 04:08:55 AM »
Sounds like it should be a lot of fun!

Very nice job on those miniatures - they do look a tough bunch.  Do you know if the figures are currently for sale anywhere, post KS?

-Michael

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 06:13:47 AM »
Very nice job on the miniatures. And I agree with DivisMal and Michi, the stories are a nice touch!  :)

I do have to comment though, the guy on the right in the second to last picture looks like a spitting image of Micah Bell from Red Dead Redemption 2! 
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 01:46:14 PM »

I do have to comment though, the guy on the right in the second to last picture looks like a spitting image of Micah Bell from Red Dead Redemption 2!

I think quite a few have the image of characters from RDR2.  I'm assuming that was an inspiration for the figures.  I know it was when I was painting them.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 01:54:32 PM »

Do you know if the figures are currently for sale anywhere, post KS?

-Michael

I honestly don't know.  If I can find out, I'll certainly let you know.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated Feb24
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 02:31:06 AM »

The Clan of Ten Bears

Ten Bears, a Comanche Chief and great uniter, brought together warriors from many Tribes.   From those a handful of the most brave and fearless fighters were selected.  They were to participate in the Achack Ga-no-hal-ido, the Great Spirit Hunt.  The Clan of Ten Bears was formed.

For three generations now, the war to banish evil spirits has secretly waged .

(left to right)

Black Hawk (Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kiak) hails from the Iowa tribe.  Through dreams and visions his Spirit Animal, the Red Tailed Hawk, gives wisdom and warnings of things yet to pass.

Buffalo Hump (Potsuakuhipu) is the great Grandson of the legendary Ten Bears.  He has continued to honor his Forefathers and carries on the legacy of the hunt.

Spotted Tail (Gleh-shka) was chosen to represent his Lakota people for his bravery of saving a peaceful village from the horrors of the water babies. Taking the form of a human infant, the water baby is a deadly spirit that haunts lakes and rivers.  It is said that the water baby mimics the cry of a human baby in order to lure unsuspecting humans to their watery grave. 

more to come.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 02:04:25 AM by supervike »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated Feb24
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 09:49:15 AM »
Amazing painting on those natives!   :o

What I like about Weird West settings is that you can easily ignore all the darker sides of the historical setting.