Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:21:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking about a 2000AD Rogue Trooper game...  (Read 26838 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Thinking about a 2000AD Rogue Trooper game...
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »
I recently got the first Rogue Trooper Collection "The Future of War" (after getting all the ABC Warriors books) and I´d say it does an excellent job of introducing the characters and the setting, although many details do not get revealed until later episodes. Really liked it, much recommended.

I agree totally with Westfalia Chris about this one: if you have to have one Rogue Trooper book then The Future of War is the one.  The later books are not quite as good and the artwork is of variable quality (IMO obviously)

Regarding the ABC Warriors, Khronicles of Khaos is the "must have" book, followed closely by the follow up book in the series Hellbringer.  The other books both before and after those two are fun but have in my opinion either dated significantly or were not up to much in the first place, although lots of fans still love them.  Khronicles is the way to go with the ABCs.

Bad Company...an absolute gem of a war/anti-war story. Only one Graphic novel. Excelent art and cracking story.

I couldnt agree more about this one either.  I bought it on a whim having read most of it as a kid and I found it to be a hell of a lot better that I thought that it would be.  Bad Company just screams out to made in miniature form.  There is only one Bad Company book too so if you have completist tendencies (and doesnt pretty much everyone reading suffer from that to some extent?) it involves one small purchase.

Playing miniatures games that include either Rogue Trooper, the ABC Warriors or Bad Company would be geek heaven for me.  I really must make it happen...

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
For the ABC Warriors, I'm either very old school (the original and still the best), or the reboot that came with the Nemesis Gothic Empire story or first post-Nemesis stand-alone series, The Black Hole. I've always found that Pat Mills's stuff tends to be pretty over-written stuff, so for me a lot has to do with the artwork. You've got some of the best on show here: for the Mars series you have ike McMahon (for my money, 2000ADs best ever artist), the awesome Bryan Talbot for the Nemesis saga, and then for The Black Hole, Simon Bisley popped out of the woodwork and we were all scratching our heads wondering where the hell all this crazy guy came from. I haven't bought 2000AD in years, but sometimes glance at it in the newsagent - I just can't get on with Clint Langley and that Photoshopstyle at all. Ugh, horrible!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
I haven't bought 2000AD in years, but sometimes glance at it in the newsagent - I just can't get on with Clint Langley and that Photoshopstyle at all. Ugh, horrible!

The Langley stuff leaves me cold too.  Sometimes the colouring of his strips is nice but the storytelling is disjointed IMO.  I think that its because the heavily (over) worked images dont really seem to interact with each other.  While I am a fan of Alex Ross comic artwork, I think that as his stuff is essentially a collage of redrawn existing images it sometimes doesnt gel for similar reasons to Langleys stuff.  The pages look like a collage of images rather than an account of some characters talking to each other or whatever.

Anyway, this is a little off topic so I will leave it at that.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
Dont worry about going off topic, this is all good stuff that keeps people thinking about the idea!

small update, ive recieved the heads from pig iron and the weapons from Heresy (great service from both by the way) now i just need to pick up a box of cadians and i can start constructing my NORT infantry.

Im very excited  :)

Oh and ive finished my Foundry Rogue Trooper, will be posting pics this weekend.
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
The graphic novels I found at a place here in the US are:
ABC Warriors - Meknificent Seven
ABC Warriors - The Black Hole
Rogue Trooper - The Future of War
Rogue Trooper - Fort Neuro

These are supposedly the first two collections from each series - in order they were published originally.

I hope to order them in the next few days.

And I can't wait to see the Nort infantry! For some reason I really like seeing what people come up with when converting Cadian figs. They're such a great "generic" sci-fi troop that just beg to be converted.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
Completed the first NORT trooper tonight.

Really isnt a major conversion but im not all about that and seeing as im going to need a few of these guys i dont want anything too difficult.

No pics until he is painted im afraid, thats how i roll  :)

Thinking about other troops / units to use in these games... So far heres what il be using:

- Copplestone future wars assault troops as G.I's
- GW Cadian Conversions with Pig Iron Heads for standard NORT infantry
- Copplestone future wars terminator robots as droids (for both sides or just NORTS???)
- Pig iron war droids as erm... War droids!
- Vehicles - Old crow

Thats all i have confirmed in my head at the moment. Im thinking of using Pig iron heavy infantry as SOUTHER infantry but they are a bit too heavily armoured.

In terms of paint schemes for NORTS and SOUTHERS im getting my main inspiration from Kevin Dallimores site. Grey & purple for NORT and greens for SOUTHERS. Sound ok?

Keep the ideas comming guys, my ears are always open!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 08:51:47 AM »
Completed the first NORT trooper tonight.

Really isnt a major conversion but im not all about that and seeing as im going to need a few of these guys i dont want anything too difficult.

No pics until he is painted im afraid, thats how i roll  :)

Thinking about other troops / units to use in these games... So far heres what il be using:

- Copplestone future wars assault troops as G.I's
- GW Cadian Conversions with Pig Iron Heads for standard NORT infantry
- Copplestone future wars terminator robots as droids (for both sides or just NORTS???)
- Pig iron war droids as erm... War droids!
- Vehicles - Old crow

Thats all i have confirmed in my head at the moment. Im thinking of using Pig iron heavy infantry as SOUTHER infantry but they are a bit too heavily armoured.

In terms of paint schemes for NORTS and SOUTHERS im getting my main inspiration from Kevin Dallimores site. Grey & purple for NORT and greens for SOUTHERS. Sound ok?

Keep the ideas comming guys, my ears are always open!

Search for the Xbox Rogue Trooper screenshots, give you some nice colour schemes.

Re: pigiron & Heresy: nice choice: I went for the heavy trooper heads, cadian bodies and heresy weapons for the USCM Halo stuff:

Be good to see what you come up with, though as I've said before I'd like to see a gas hood personally.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
vyper those Halo conversions are pretty much what my NORTS look like but with Kolony inner guard heads.

I know what you mean about gas hoods and air tanks on their backs but like i said, im not a huge converter of models, more of a painter. I think they will do the job.

as a side note, did you find it a real pain in the arse cutting the hand off the lasgun on the cadian frame!? more work than i had intended...

im glad to see someone is doing Halo'esque conversions. As soon as i saw the pig iron heavy infantry heads and the heresy silenced rifles i thought to myself - ODST!   ;D  but you have beaten me to it  :)

Hope to have pics of Rogue and a NORT by the end of the weekend.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
vyper those Halo conversions are pretty much what my NORTS look like but with Kolony inner guard heads.

I know what you mean about gas hoods and air tanks on their backs but like i said, im not a huge converter of models, more of a painter. I think they will do the job.

as a side note, did you find it a real pain in the arse cutting the hand off the lasgun on the cadian frame!? more work than i had intended...

im glad to see someone is doing Halo'esque conversions. As soon as i saw the pig iron heavy infantry heads and the heresy silenced rifles i thought to myself - ODST!   ;D  but you have beaten me to it  :)

Hope to have pics of Rogue and a NORT by the end of the weekend.

Check the pics again, easier to cut and leave the back of the gun and stock in place and marry up the metal, little bit of gs and a quick file no one would know once painted.

You may force me into a one off Nort just to show you what I had in mind!

;)

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
sorry i meant the left hand, supporting the rifle rather than the right hand with the trigger.

Noooo dont do a NORT! it will be so much better than my meagre attempt  :'( ;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 08:43:07 AM »
sorry i meant the left hand, supporting the rifle rather than the right hand with the trigger.

Noooo dont do a NORT! it will be so much better than my meagre attempt  :'( ;)

Easy, don't think about keeping the rifle intact, cut it down either side of the hand, clip it flat then use a very sharp scalpel and carve.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
yeah thats what i did, was just expecting the left hand to be cast on the left arm rather than the lasgun... More work than i cared for!

Anyway, gotta get started on that NORT  :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
yeah thats what i did, was just expecting the left hand to be cast on the left arm rather than the lasgun... More work than i cared for!

Anyway, gotta get started on that NORT  :)

Found these:

Perfect stammels!!! £4 each!

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »
Nice work finding the stammels

So heres the Foundry Rogue Trooper ive been promising

Really couldnt get a pic i was happy with so apologies for the quality

I really enjoyed painting this model and the colours really came out well. I dont plan on using him in any games, more as a practice for G.I. skin. I think it works nicely, i used the Foundry Tomb Blue pallette mainly.

I have a completed NORT trooper aswell but again, im struggling to get a good pic so il see what i can get and post up soon.

Thanks for looking

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
Looks absolutely excellent! One thing, though, that gun casing - I thought it was some kind of futuristic plastic assembly, not wood (as yours appears)? I might of course be totally wrong, since I´ve only read the b&w comics so far.