Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691093
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plynkes' Five Leagues Thread  (Read 15375 times)

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
Re: Plynkes' Five Leagues Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2023, 06:41:15 PM »
Great paint job!

> So this is what the whole party looks like now. I really think we need to stop picking up strays along the way.

I kept them because... I don't know why. (: At some point, they don't really increase upkeep, especially when you use a campaign turn (?) for them to forage.

The main cost was that I wanted each of them to have a crossbow, bastard sword, armor, etc.

Do you already have a Delvist? That's the volunteer who has the skills necessary for *any* result when interacting with an artifact or whatever in a Site.

You could always volunteer some of your men to go after the objectives in a scenario! I usually just sit on a rock and wait for the enemy to come to me - and my party's crossbows. :P
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2023, 08:50:21 PM »
Yes, we don't really need to worry about upkeep at the minute. We're rolling in cash right now, and the locals seem to keep putting us up for free as well (some real lucky rolls). Knowing us we will keep letting people join if they want to. A potential one has already arisen in the next scenario of our quest.

Haven't been to any Delves yet, and I am unsure as to what they precisely entail. We'll see how prepared we are in the fullness of time, I'm sure.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2023, 08:51:20 AM »
Those dastardly Mano Rosso fellas really look the part. Nice painting on both them and your ever expanding group of adventurers.

Very much looking forward to the AAR.

Offline steeldragon

• Librarian
    • IG :)
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2023, 11:07:54 AM »
Really nice models and setups!

I t was great to read.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2023, 03:58:36 AM »
Looking forward to the next AAR.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2023, 09:12:44 PM »
So the party were resting in camp about half way to Grimhold, enjoying a hearty breakfast of pork sausage and local mushrooms. Frater Sandro and Wilbert had taken Lenore, still recovering from her wounds, to see a local healer (convenient eh?).  It was then that the Mano Rosso struck. They had been creeping up on the camp with the proverbial cat-like tread.

(In a Defensive Battle scenario like this, the enemy get to try and sneak up on us, and each time one moves we get a chance to spot them. I guess the party were simply too engrossed in their breakfast to realise the danger, because they were almost upon us before they had an inkling anything was afoot.)

One bold brigand had made it almost to the camp fire before they were noticed, and the rest weren't far behind. Most of the Exiles darted to the nearby hedge, hoping to hold off the foe and prevent them from crossing that obstacle. Sir Godfrey and Wicklow would have to deal with the lone interloper.

Arrows spat out from the hedgerow, finding their mark and staining the road with bandit blood, but not felling any of the foe. They surged forward with a ragged war cry.

The brigands charged the hedge, slashing and thrusting with their blades, forcing Brom and Neville to give ground (You can't see Neville in this pic, I think he's behind that tree :)). The way was open for the bandits on our right to cross the hedge.

On the left flank in front of the camp things were still worse. Four of the enemy were already over the hedge and hurtling towards Sir Godfrey and Wicklow (and two of those were tough-looking brutes). If they could be dealt with the rogues would be able to turn and take the others from behind (snigger). Once more things seemed to be turning against the Exiles, and the two players controlling them were starting to panic.

But Sir Godfey is made of sterner stuff than the cravens controlling his fate. Soon his flashing blade was wreaking havoc. These poor uncultured wretches were no match for years of noble training with a fencing sword. Godfrey darted among them with the grace of a dancer, and their numbers began to thin a little.

For his part Wicklow conjured a spell of frightening, hoping to break their nerve and make them flee. He hurriedly muttered his incantations in the Old Imperial Tongue and hoped for the best (silently cursing all the time spent at the local wine-houses rather than in class when he was a student at the Magic Academy in Chrysanthium).

Not to be outdone, Iago sighed and after whispering a silent prayer to Our Lady of the Veils, laid into the bandits with his mighty bastard sword.

"Victory to Heaven! By the Monad and all the Aeons thou shalt pay, ye dogs!"

A holy rage was upon him, and his blade drank deep of bandit blood. Things had turned around very quickly indeed.

By this point, Wicklow's spell had taken effect, and most of those thugs that could still move had begun to quit the field.

A couple of hardened desperadoes stood their ground, but the poor fools did not stand a chance. Wicklow breathed a long sigh of relief as he watched the last of the bandits fleeing into the distance.

"How rude, I hadn't even had a single bite of my breakfast. It is sure to be cold by now" he said, sadly looking at his sausage as he picked it up. Iago strode over to him and snatched his plate away.

"No time for that, gather your things. We must pursue and punish these curs." Wicklow frowned.

"Can't we just have our breakfast? Let them go, I'm hungry."

"Never! A plague upon them, the pack of villains. Their survival is an insult to Heaven, and we shall pursue them to the ends of the Earth! Hopefully they will lead us to more of their fellows, and we can dispense righteous judgement upon them. It is no more than they deserve, the damnèd heathens! Unbelievers! Recusants! "

Wicklow rolled his eyes and looked towards Neville.

"There he goes, bringing religion into everything again. They are only bandits, Iago, not heretics."

"What? Did not the great Sanctus Pallus himself write, in er... his Second Epistle to the Kardashians, that every soul is subject to the earthly powers, for were not those powers ordained by Heaven? They that resist shall receive Damnation! And today, dear Wicklow, we are the instruments that shall be delivering it. Come on, get your things."

Iago turned and set off at a pace after the fleeing banditti.

"He truly has the spirit upon him," mused Sir Godfrey.

"He's a bloody loony, you mean" said Wicklow, and reluctantly set off after his friend.

To be continued...

This was heaps of fun, though we were a little nervous to begin with as all those bandits were bearing down on us and we hadn't got a proper defensive line together. Godfrey and Iago were just unstoppable this time. I think their accumulated experience gains are beginning to bear fruit.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2023, 12:07:49 AM »
Quoting the Second Epistle to the Kardashians... things are indeed getting serious!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2023, 04:15:07 PM »
The pursuers caught up with their quarry by a small farm. They had managed to link up with some of their comrades and turned to face the Exiles.

The ranks of the Mano Rosso in this locality had been stiffened by deserters from Baron Raymondo's army it transpired. We thought this might prove a more difficult fight.

Our archers provided support from the top of a nearby rise, as the ne'er-do-wells advanced towards us. How would this one go?

We needn't have worried. Though in the first tussle our Halfling sorceror was knocked out (again) everything else went our way.

"Unworthy villainous knave! He that would betray his rightful sovereign lord can expect no mercy!"

Sir Godfrey in particular was a holy terror, slashing away and cutting the banditti down in fine old style.

While Neville and Morgaunt rained arrows down upon the hapless bandits.

Fairly soon it was all over, and the last of them was brought to summary justice by means of sharpened steel.

When he regained his senses, Wicklow was incensed that he had missed half the battle, and his eyes burned with a vengeful fire. Looking around for a bandit to take his frustration out on, he soon discovered a trail, and not far off he could see a thin finger of smoke rising from beyond the trees. Could this be the bandits' camp, perhaps?

"Nobody does this to Wicklow Pottler and gets away with it! I'm going to crack open some Mano Rosso heads today if it kills me! Follow me, friends!"

So this time it was Wicklow's turn to charge ahead, and his bewildered friends' turn to follow, vainly attempting to get him to slow down and think about tactics for a minute.

A very easy fight for a change. I think the experience gains some of our characters have made are really starting to show in the games now. They are getting pretty powerful, which of course means they are going to get their arses kicked soon, obviously.

A lucky roll had indeed led us to a Mano Rosso camp. We decided to attack it, so it would be three fights in a row with these customers, after not having had a peep out of them for the whole campaign so far. The first two fights had already reduced their Threat, if we could beat them again they might be half-way to being knocked out of the campaign.

Next: The attack on the Mano Rosso bandit camp.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2024, 01:48:19 AM »
Just read the whole thread through today! Sounds like a lot of fun. Great write ups and the figures look amazing. Between your account and Mad Lord Snapcase's, I've gone off and ordered Five Leagues from my favorite vendor. I should get it in the next day or two and then I look forward to seeing how all of this works... :-*

Thanks so much for writing this up, and look forward to reading the next installment!

Mike Demana

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2024, 10:20:24 AM »
My compliments to the skintones of your additions.

Splendid, old school narrative which bears the mark of Ol' Plynkes all over.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2024, 07:15:27 PM »
Beautiful miniatures, and a great report as well! Looking forward to the next one!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2024, 10:41:00 PM »
Excellent :)

Love the scenes!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2024, 11:59:55 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Had a bit of a hobby lull over Christmas, but I'll hopefully have some newly-painted figures to show off soon, and a few more battle photos once I can get around to editing them.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2024, 11:13:27 AM »
Looking forward to it ;)

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2024, 10:46:14 AM »
I’m with Mike on this, between this wonderfully evocative recounting and the men of much piddling, I’m sold.   Five Leagues PDF purchased.  Will continue to follow your story with great interest.