Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer: the Old World  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Warhammer: the Old World
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
Things like the current night goblins are going to look very odd on 25mm squares (I had a few based up that way for Oathmark at one point, and they looked lost on their big bases).

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 03:33:45 PM »
Things like the current night goblins are going to look very odd on 25mm squares (I had a few based up that way for Oathmark at one point, and they looked lost on their big bases).

Exactly. My largest army is a Night Goblin one. And they're all the Battle of Skull Pass types too.

They're tiny, but fill a 20mm base well enough. However I don't think they'll look as good on 25mm bases; they might come across as slightly lost on 125% larger real estate (which might sort of suit those mushroom munching loonies perhaps? lol)

My other big army is Warriors of Chaos, and they are fine on their 25mm ones, but would not look as intimidating on 30mm bases in my opinion. Especially the Warriors; they're nicely shoulder to shoulder right now, and look quite intimidating like that. Giving them more room on 120% bigger bases would create gaps in the massive (shield)wall of warriors and possibly hope for their opponents.

Same goes for my High Elves (who are not even battle ready at this point ::) ); they look well on 25mm, especially the Spearmen, who also form an intimidating shieldwall (but brighter), but would leave huge gaps when on 30mm.

So movement trays that simply have a wide rim to get to that new frontage would be negotionable, but larger bases? Nope. The aesthetics alone make me not like them. Although the newer, more dynamic sculpts of, for instance, those Chaos Warriors do benefit from larger bases. But mine are all of the menacingly marching variety, so there is not plus side for me in up-basing the lot...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »
I think that's already been confirmed: 25mm bases for what were on 20s and 30mm bases for what were on 25s.

Why not, I've been upscaling my clothing since the 80's too. I also based a Runequest Troll on a 30mm base and he looks a good fit.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
I've been reading the articles on the Warhammer Community site and so far I'm still interested. It looks like they're trying to capture the feel of the older Warhammer Fantasy Battle versions.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2023, 09:00:56 AM »
Call me naff, but the only thing that could possibly entice me to make the jump from Oldhammer to the Old World is if they somehow re-introduce the 'Lap Around' rule for my Hobgoblin Sneaky Gitz. I always loved that, as it was so characterful (effective? Less so lol ).

It was not in younger versions of WHFB, not in KoW and not in 9th Age, so my hopes are not up, but an old man can dream, right? :D

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2023, 09:50:56 AM »
I think it would take 'proper' Toughness 4 hobgoblins with Frenzy to tempt me back!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
Fair enough :D

But I was relatively late to the party, so big hat Chaos Dwarfs were my baseline when it comes to Hobgoblins. By then, Frenzy was something I only remember seeing on Witch Elves (or was that Bloodbowl? ::) ).

At any rate; I would like any reason for me to finally get started on painting those silly naughty dwarfs and their allies...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2023, 10:17:56 AM »
The Dolgan Raiders scenario was peak hobgoblinry for me! I've got fond memories of a few of us playing it across a bedroom floor.

Curiously, the scenario makes no mention of the hobgoblins' Frenzy rule - though it was there in the second-edition rulebook before being downgraded to some army-standard-dependent thing in third edition (booo!).

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2023, 11:29:30 AM »
2nd’s a bit niche, but it’s where I started.

Lund or Morrison peak Hobgoblinry, Hobgoblin?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2023, 11:37:15 AM »
Are they releasing army lists for all the old armies or just Brettonia and Tomb Kings? I have loads of unassembled skaven.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2023, 12:50:28 PM »
2nd’s a bit niche, but it’s where I started.

Me too!

It's a tough one, but the Morrison hobgoblins ultimately win out: they're some of the best miniatures ever made, I think. I've hoarded loads of them over the years but have hardly painted any as I've yet to settle on a colour scheme. I suspect I end up just varying them like Japanese oni.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2023, 02:11:51 PM »
It’s Lund for me as my mate fielded loads of the the buggers in his Orc/Goblin/Ogre horde back in the day.

FWIW, I’m pretty blasé about TOW as I’m an unrepentant leadhead who skipped off the GW merry-go-round years ago. Being quite happy to play old editions and Mordheim with old metal figures, I’ve no plans to hop back on again.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »
It’s Lund for me as my mate fielded loads of the the buggers in his Orc/Goblin/Ogre horde back in the day.

They are terrific too - I've been painting up a few as ogres for 15mm.

FWIW, I’m pretty blasé about TOW as I’m an unrepentant leadhead who skipped off the GW merry-go-round years ago. Being quite happy to play old editions and Mordheim with old metal figures, I’ve no plans to hop back on again.

Yes, I've no reason interest in it. The first time I played Hordes of the Things, I thought (perhaps slightly unkindly), "What was that Warhammer rubbish we were wasting our time over for all those years?". I do think Warhammer was at its best with the second-edition small-scale narrative scenarios: Orc's Drift, MacDeath, Vengeance of the Lichemaster, Dolgan Raiders, etc. For me, the third edition - much as we all thought it awesome at the time - messed things up with competitive games and oh-so-many unwieldy rules.

I am considering, though, running The Redwake River Valley from the first edition (probably using Mordheim rules if I get the project going).

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2023, 02:36:08 PM »

Although he didn't sculpt as many, I think Jes Goodwin deserves an honourable mention when discussing Oldhammer hobgoblins. Throg's Despoilers remain my favourite Regiment of Renown.
(Here's all three sculptors side-by-side, painted during lockdown).

Back on topic; I discovered WHFB at the very tail end of 2nd ed. via White Dwarf, and 3rd ed. was the first wargame I ever bought or played (albeit with carboard squares). While I am nostalgic for the Old World, I can't see myself bothering with a new WHFB. IGO-UGO seems a bit old hat and, despite the rose-tinted glasses, I remember that the system could be quite stodgy.
That said, my buddy who plays 9th Age is dead excited.  I guess he's really the target audience?

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »
Are they releasing army lists for all the old armies or just Brettonia and Tomb Kings? I have loads of unassembled skaven.

The details are here - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

Sadly they do address the lack of Skaven in Old World - "During the century before the Siege of Praag, the Skaven Under-Empire was riven by civil war to the extent that they retreated from the surface world. This is the origin of the belief that Skaven aren’t real – they vanished for several generations and became folklore. The Skaven re-emerged only after the Horned Rat himself was summoned at Skavenblight to end the strife and instil new purpose into his children (this ties in with the wider rise of Chaos and the destruction wrought by Asavar Kul), turning them into a new power in the world."

Though they also say "These legacy faction army lists will be made available for free as pdfs as a service to fans who have these classic armies on their shelf, so they can still bring them to battle for old times sake."