Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer the Old World - which box to buy?!?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Warhammer the Old World - which box to buy?!?
« on: January 04, 2024, 07:05:32 PM »
Hey all,

I've been watching the Warhammer Old World with some amount of growing excitement since it really started to heat up last spring, and it looks like this weekend is pre-order weekend!

I know, I know, why would I buy into Warhammer the Old World after all of the abuse that GW has dished out to Warhammer Fantasy players since 1994 when I originally picked it up? I mean, there was the new editions which would make all old armies useless, then new army books, and then finally just cancelling the game... I am mindfully choosing to buy in despite that, and build the figures and play the game on my own terms, and maybe just play Kings of War anyway!

Still, I'm looking at choosing between the two army boxes: tomb kings or bretonnians. I already have a boatload of bretonnians, both painted and unpainted, but that new model on pegasus is a beauty. I don't have a single tomb kings figure, but I do have a 5000+ point 'undead' army of the vampire counts variety... So, the question is, should I replace my scratch-build pegasus-riding general with the new hotness, or dive into an all-new army?!?

Any feedback welcome! Go ahead, call me crazy for going back to GW... :D

Also, here's my pegasus general:

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warhammer the Old World - which box to buy?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 07:28:12 PM »
That is a difficult call…

First things first, though. Your kitbashed general looks brilliant and deserves to be kept in the army, even if you add a fancy new pegasus-riding general. Maybe he goes into semi-retirement and commands forces in a quiet part of the realm, alongside all those older archers?

Regarding the armies, it would be pretty cool to see what you do with the tomb kings…. You can put them against the vampire count army, to find out who is the true master of the undead!

Of course you would be obligated to build an in-scale pyramid to go with them.  lol

(Actually, some of the non-pyramid architecture would make pretty spectacular terrain projects.)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 08:39:34 PM »
I'm not into gunpowder in fantasy games, so the Bretonnians are an easy pass for me.

The Tomb Kings I regret not buying at the time, so they are more tempting. However, cost is a major factor, as is any potential scale creep that has crept in (I'm hoping this will be a minimum, unless the old stuff was digital and they've just bumped the size up before cutting new moulds).

Still, I expect cost will kill it for me. I'm hoping it's a bit like Kill Team, where they release the full set, then the component parts six months later.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 08:52:51 PM »
#1  Have fun and enjoy your hobby.  If the new model excites you to paint and play then get it. 

#2  That is a amazing general and it is very unique.  There is only one like it and don't get rid of it.   

#3  A Vampire vs. Bretonnian match off seems very cool to me.  Truly, a worthy quest for Knights to topple an undead lord.

#4 Have fun (Twice as important) 

PS- One final thought.  I would check out the Vampire stuff one page rule is releasing.  It would some great additions to your current Vampires. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 08:59:14 PM by LouieN »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 09:14:00 PM »
Bretonnian all the way, plus you can also then field a Vampire Counts army using Bretonnians as human retainers. I have no idea how far back I'm going, but wasn't there a fluff about some cursed Bretonnian knights running little territories? I also like the idea of humans following a Vampire Lord because, well, they're a decent Lord to follow who treats their subjects fairly, spends taxes wisely, maintains the roads and forests and cracks down hard on banditry and the like. Is the odd pints here and there too high a price compared to being utterly exploited by a bad Lord?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 09:22:27 PM »
I'm not into gunpowder in fantasy games, so the Bretonnians are an easy pass for me.

I haven't played since 3rd edition

When did they get gunpowder?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:24:41 PM by Kikuchiyo »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 10:39:10 PM »
Bretonnian all the way, plus you can also then field a Vampire Counts army using Bretonnians as human retainers. I have no idea how far back I'm going, but wasn't there a fluff about some cursed Bretonnian knights running little territories? I also like the idea of humans following a Vampire Lord because, well, they're a decent Lord to follow who treats their subjects fairly, spends taxes wisely, maintains the roads and forests and cracks down hard on banditry and the like. Is the odd pints here and there too high a price compared to being utterly exploited by a bad Lord?

Haha, I love that!

Also, my undead totally have a cursed Bretonnian vibe, so perhaps I will do that!

Here's my undead general, Ramona the Vampiress, clearly a corrupted Damsel!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 10:40:16 PM »
I think the Bretonnians had a few options for gunpowder weapons back in 3rd edition. It’s been a while, but I’m pretty sure they could field a cannon or two and could arm some infantry units (ribaulds, maybe?) with hand guns. Then by the last editions the fluff was changed to write out any missile weapons other than longbows and trebuchets…

Honestly, one buys Bretonnians to paint the fancy heraldry, it’s their main thing.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 10:48:19 PM »
That is a difficult call…

First things first, though. Your kitbashed general looks brilliant and deserves to be kept in the army, even if you add a fancy new pegasus-riding general. Maybe he goes into semi-retirement and commands forces in a quiet part of the realm, alongside all those older archers?

Regarding the armies, it would be pretty cool to see what you do with the tomb kings…. You can put them against the vampire count army, to find out who is the true master of the undead!

Of course you would be obligated to build an in-scale pyramid to go with them.  lol

(Actually, some of the non-pyramid architecture would make pretty spectacular terrain projects.)

Hmm, a tomb king vs. vampire count match up would be a lot of fun.... Skeleton on skeleton violence! Zombie vs. Skeleton dragon!

The terrain project is awesome too... I wonder if we'll see a resurgence of home-made terrain with the release of the Old World? I kinda hate how everyone scoffs at homemade terrain these days, preferring those plastic monstrosities from GW...

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 10:51:39 PM »
#1  Have fun and enjoy your hobby.  If the new model excites you to paint and play then get it. 

#2  That is a amazing general and it is very unique.  There is only one like it and don't get rid of it.   

#3  A Vampire vs. Bretonnian match off seems very cool to me.  Truly, a worthy quest for Knights to topple an undead lord.

#4 Have fun (Twice as important) 

PS- One final thought.  I would check out the Vampire stuff one page rule is releasing.  It would some great additions to your current Vampires. 

Really good points, thanks!

There are so many 3D printed options these days that I am very much interested in for sure! I actually have a Highlands trebuchet already that is pretty nice, so maybe I'll pick up some of those third-party undead as well.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 03:54:01 AM »
Naldoreth I loved your stuff over on the round table of bretonnia, that's going back some hey!

I'm a pass on the core box, it's just more of what I've got and not enough new sculpts, but I'm super tempted by the questing foot knight (but resin :( ), and keen to check out the foot knights. I'm super excited to check the price pointfor the re-released old squires, as I never got them at retail before and ebay is crazy for them.

I think I may dabble with a few pieces and see what hero's they release... or maybe I'll just go perry plastics for the old bret perry vibe and save coin as I don't really need any more.

I'm currently converting  HE griffon lord, and picked up the AOS dragons to convert because GW never makes Brets hard core enough ;)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 04:17:24 AM »
Naldoreth,
Your Lord is simply off the charts!! Gorgeous!! So I'm thinking sell me your lord and buy the new Bretonnians...😉

I bought 8 Bretonnian boxed sets way back and also picked up a ton of extra bowmen cheap on eBay way back. So last year I finally painted up all my Bretonnians so that each boxed set now has 12 mounted knights, 12 foot knights (Foundry knights), 24 men at arms and 24 bowmen and 1 pegasus knight, and 1 squire and 6l Grail Knights...for each of the 8 boxed sets. I am using Lion Rampant rules with them, and also Dragon Rampant when I want to fight fantasy games. I too love the new Lord, but the Tomb Kings would be such a cool addition and I have a ton of Egyptian terrain already painted. Such a tough decision!! So to help you out, I'll still buy your Lord just so you can paint a new Lord....😉

Good luck on your decision...
Regards,
Hitman
😎

P.S. seriously...I really could use your Lord!! 😁
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 09:04:11 AM »
I think the Bretonnians had a few options for gunpowder weapons back in 3rd edition. It’s been a while, but I’m pretty sure they could field a cannon or two and could arm some infantry units (ribaulds, maybe?) with hand guns. Then by the last editions the fluff was changed to write out any missile weapons other than longbows and trebuchets…

Honestly, one buys Bretonnians to paint the fancy heraldry, it’s their main thing.

Yes, Bretonniana haven't had any gunpowder weapons (it's "unchivalrous" in Warhammer World) since 4th edition came out in 1992.
Just the 30 years ago  :)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 09:09:32 AM »
6th Edition was their last army book and I don't think they had any balckpowder options in that, they could take trebuchets though. I have heard that you can take the option of running a kind of renegade lord list in the new version (to represent Brets in the Border Princes) who do get access to a Bombard but don't quote me on that!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 09:43:19 AM »
Whiskey that seems to be what I've read on the community page as well.

Those rules seem to be in the supplemental army fluff paperback, which outlines some characters and army options/special rules.

Yes bretonnia hasn't had black powder since 1997, unless you smuggled in one as a ally. But with how cheap trebs were that was the best points you could spend IMHO. I always found the longbow, trebs and horse hooves did the most damage, the knights were always swinging and missing for me.