Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer the Old World - which box to buy?!?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Warhammer the Old World - which box to buy?!?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 10:48:20 AM »
So, I was mixing up Empire with Bretonnians, apologies for that.

I'd stopped paying attention to the lore early on, and, as a dwarf collector, all these humans looked the same to me  ;D

Having said that, I will now have to take a look at the new Bretonianns, although I'm aiming for more dark ages than early medieval in my current plans.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 02:42:26 PM »
I think Oathmark and probably more importantly 10mm scale  killed any intention of me ever going back to warhammer.

Sad really as I loved 3rd edition

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 10:39:26 PM »
So, I was mixing up Empire with Bretonnians, apologies for that.

I'd stopped paying attention to the lore early on, and, as a dwarf collector, all these humans looked the same to me  ;D

Having said that, I will now have to take a look at the new Bretonianns, although I'm aiming for more dark ages than early medieval in my current plans.

Dwarves, the faction well known for never fielding gunpowder weapons!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 04:11:54 AM »
Love your Pegasus general, Neldoreth!! 

If I can find a copy, I will probably pick up the Bretonnians.  But it sounds like GW may have under-produced again.

The Tomb Kings are nice as well...

Heck, you should buy both!

-Michael

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 08:35:17 AM »
I intend to enlarge my 5th ed Bretonnians using Perry Miniatures from their HYW range, which look much better IMHO than the latest Bretonnian sculpts. I have no interest in the TK as I have a Vampire army so I won't be shedding any cash on the big boxes. Luckily I have retained all my old metal armies from the Golden age, so I might give the rules a try but I don't think I am going to buy any new miniature from GW unless they relearn how to do them
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 09:16:45 AM »
Dwarves, the faction well known for never fielding gunpowder weapons!
Their obsession with gunpowder, sadly, is true lol

However, There are none in my army :D I can't remember when they started adding firearms to the dwarfs, but I was never happy about it. The closest I have is the steam cannon, and even that makes me uncomfortable.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 11:53:10 AM »
However, There are none in my army :D I can't remember when they started adding firearms to the dwarfs, but I was never happy about it. The closest I have is the steam cannon, and even that makes me uncomfortable.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 01:28:00 PM »
Their obsession with gunpowder, sadly, is true lol

Lead Belcher was a Dwarf cannon looted by Goblins in about 1987.  There was a dwarf cannon crew from 1984 and the flame cannon dates from 1987.  So I think they have nearly always been associated with gunpowder in Warhammer.  Obviously none of it had to be taken seriously back then so were easily avoided as you obviously did.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 03:32:22 AM »
I can't take any of the new "Old World" stuff from GW seriously when companies like Highland Miniatures exist.

I don't own a 3D printer, but I have friends who do, and you can find the Highland stuff from various printers on Etsy.  Their sculpts are superb, and you're not getting multi-part metals or crap Forgeworld resin...and you're not getting something sculpted in 1997.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2024, 04:52:39 AM »
Love the bretonian vampire damsel. Makes me want to start a mousillon faction. Personally I'd probably go for the Khemri army as it will give you something new to give a go and you can always play them off against your bretonians if ever you have someone inclined to play a game.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2024, 03:38:44 AM »
Love the bretonian vampire damsel. Makes me want to start a mousillon faction. Personally I'd probably go for the Khemri army as it will give you something new to give a go and you can always play them off against your bretonians if ever you have someone inclined to play a game.

You know... there's a Mousillon event that happens right before the siege of Praag, so that duchy might actually figure prominently in the Old World at some point in the future! I might totally try to create a Bretonnian army around Mousillon as well!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2024, 05:34:57 AM »
I can't take any of the new "Old World" stuff from GW seriously when companies like Highland Miniatures exist.

I do like those Highlands miniatures quite a bit. I already have a trebuchet from them, and I think I will likely order some more of the fancy stuff!

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2024, 05:39:26 AM »
Love your Pegasus general, Neldoreth!! 

If I can find a copy, I will probably pick up the Bretonnians.  But it sounds like GW may have under-produced again.

The Tomb Kings are nice as well...

Heck, you should buy both!

-Michael

Thanks!

I decided to buy the Tomb Kings after all. I realized too that I already had 34 unpainted Bretonnian Knights, 32 unpainted archers, and 41 unpainted men at arms for Bretonnia, so I really only want that lord on Pegasus... so I'll wait and hopefully it will be released on its own at some point!

As for the Tomb Kings, I am kinda dreading painting more skeletons - I've painted hundreds of them for vampire counts - and playing them as well! From my days as a vampire count player, so so many skeletons died from combat resolution, and they are so soft. I'm not sure I can do that again haha.

I think I'm going to paint them like the Amonkhet zombie warriors from War of the Spark, like a blue-black onyx type look instead of the usual bleached bone ivory look... but we'll have to see how that goes.

Thanks all for the feedback!

n

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2024, 08:44:39 AM »
Lovely pegasus general, very nicely done.
I've only just seen the Highland miniatures stuff. Its fantastic, so much better than the GW Bret stuff
I've pre-ordered the rules and army books and I do like the look of the way the game plays (from the vids I've seen)
The tomb kings have always seemed like the 'odd one out' army wise to me. They are (as we can all see) obviously Egyptian and really don't feel like they should be in the setting at all. Just don't have a warhammer feel/aesthetic in my opinion.
I'm only just able to accept the Bretonnians with their cod french feel mixed with the Arthur legend. It feels a bit forced and I hated it when they added in the Robin hood character.
Full disclosure, I do have a Bret army as I do like the knights.

Offline Waffles_vs_Tacos

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2024, 11:50:31 AM »
I would have to vote for the Bret box.

The older models in there have aged much better than most of the Tomb Kings models, though I think thr 1998 skeletons are GWs worst. I like the 1988 and 2008 and 2021 skeletons all better, though I am thinking of personally using Oathmark Skeletons with Victrix shields for my Tomb Kings, if I do them after my Warriors of Chaos.