Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What music do you listen to?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
What music do you listen to?
« on: February 17, 2024, 03:09:02 PM »
We’ve all seen the trope of the heavily bearded wargamer, nodding serenely to a helping of power metal while they slap colour onto their space marines. Just wanted to know what kind of music y’all listen to, and if you’ve noticed any differences in taste between different genres of wargaming.
Personally I’m something of a sponge, and listen to whatever I can get my mitts onto, but lately I’ve been listening to a lot of folk, and some gorgeous post-metal.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
Re: What music do you listen to?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 03:31:31 PM »
I listen to a bit of Radio 6 Music, occasionally Radio 3, or stick on an old CD (Radiohead, Nirvana, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smiths, etc that kind of thing).
Depends what I'm in the mood for.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 04:37:08 PM »
I tend to tune my music to the genre occupying the bench/tabletop to set the mood (tempered greatly by ease of availability - I'm not going to hold up a project by being a stickler!).

For example, the current work on a WWII Normandy project has the speakers putting out some French Cafe stuff found on YouTube, while doing pulp would find an Indiana Jones soundtrack playing, or "Conan" or "LOTR" serving as the background to a fantasy game.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 04:42:48 PM »
Same here, depends wot I'm painting. I'm a fan of film soundtracks, and can usually find one to match the the toys, I'm splodging paint on.

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Online ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 04:52:21 PM »
Another vote for an eclectic mix - recent material has included pop (Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, etc), "Viking" music - both folk style and metal (some sung in Old Norse), French pop (Joyce Jonathan, Shy'm, Maitre Gims et al), even though my French is all but non-existant, traditional Native American tribal music and the odd track from stuff I listened to 20/30/40/50 years ago.

My current earworm is "Wake The White Wolf" from The Witcher sung by Miracle of Sound.  Been stuck in my head for days.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 05:19:49 PM »
I've never really tried matching music to game, but back in the day playing the Necromunda gunfighter scenario to an Ennio Morricone soundtrack was excellent fun!

I hobby much less frequently than I used to as a teen, so it is more the case that certain albums I thrashed back then remind me of the hobby. I might be the only person in the world whose first thought, if you played me anything off of Pearl Jam's or the Smashing Pumpkins' first albums, is resentment at how underpowered Dark Elves were in 4th edition Warhammer.

These days, I do love me a bit of fastfastfast hardcore (End It, Grand Collapse, Stress Positions etc.) or shoegazey stuff.

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 05:35:14 PM »
Another vote for an eclectic mix - recent material has included pop (Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, etc), "Viking" music - both folk style and metal (some sung in Old Norse), French pop (Joyce Jonathan, Shy'm, Maitre Gims et al), even though my French is all but non-existant, traditional Native American tribal music and the odd track from stuff I listened to 20/30/40/50 years ago.

My current earworm is "Wake The White Wolf" from The Witcher sung by Miracle of Sound.  Been stuck in my head for days.

Love the Miracle of Sound stuff, and my background music while painting Vikings was Skald

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 06:52:58 PM »
My 'wargaming' music tends to be a fairly eclectic mix of folk and martial... so it ranges from things like the 1812 Overture all the way through to Vendean rebel songs, Spanish Civil War folk songs and so forth... Doesn't necessarily have to match up to what I'm painting or playing though. Also quite few 'generic fantasy/sci-fi music' tracks one can find on youtube which play for a good 60 mins or so.

One thing I always seem to come back round to is Strawhead's Sedgemoor album, which is great, except that every time it gets me wanting to start the much-planned-but-never-begun Monmouth Rebellion project (issue being, I'd rather go 15mm than 10mm, but just can't find a range I like enough, with appropriate non-uniformed types).

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 07:13:06 PM »
I'm always listening to either music or a podcast / radio show when I paint (either something from radio 4 of a something more nerdy on youtube). For music I do most of it an album at a time -  sit down with the brushes and listen to an album (about 40 mins).

I find painting the perfect time to listen to an album and pay attention - if I do it whilst at the computer for instance I often get distracted and am only half-listening.

I don't have specific music for painting.

My tastes are vintage - all sorts of old rock, soul, blues, folk, country, jazz, etc etc.... 50s, 60s, 70s... When I get interested in something I go in deep.... Every obscure corner must be explored!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 07:16:33 PM »
'War of the Worlds' by Jeff Wayne is my classic painting choon, but any of the Queens albums (except 'Made in Heaven' ... we don't talk about that) and then any old thing that catches my fancy.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 07:21:10 PM »
Often an Audible book, otherwise anything from Beethoven to Hawkwind via John Coltrane.
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 07:44:39 PM »
Painting Vikings, got to be the film soundtrack, very loud!
 :o

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 07:55:38 PM »
I usually listen to rock and metal, but during painting/modeling I watch movies or tv shows. When gaming against a live opponent, I do not listen to anything as club noise is enogh to overshout without music added :)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 12:49:03 AM »
Unlike most, I actually like music. Paint to baroque or classical, or sometimes the better romantic operas, with jazz if I'm likely to be interrupted.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 02:29:58 AM »
While I like listening to a wide variety of classical music as well almost any music can wind up in the background. Hawkwind, Deep Purple, blues, 70-80's Guitar bands, Reggae, speed metal, Steeleye Span or medieval chant could randomly pop up. 

This probably is not shocking but I have almost nothing newer than 2000 assuming new releases of medieval music or music from rock musicians now in their 70's don't count as really new.

2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;