Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Size really doesnt matter!  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Size really doesnt matter!
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
I'm currently writing an essay on the health of the late Victorian British army and came across some stats you might find interesting:

By 1901 56.5% of the British army was under 5'6" (1.68m) and 30% was under
8st 8lb (56kg). Through lack of quality recruits and to cope with the pressures of the Boer War the army began to enlist men down to a minimum height of 5'. To put this in perspective only 10.5% of the army was under 5'6" in 1845.

50% of army volunteers in Manchester in 1901 were rejected on reasons of physical incapacity, only 10% were considered fit enough to send abroad to fight! In Liverpool and Newcastle the rejection rate was 38% and in Hounslow (West London) it was 39.5%.   

Next time you're wondering whether to mix and match manufacturers maybe these stats will help you make your mind up.  ;)   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:48:22 PM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

former user

Re: Size really doesnt matter!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
thanks!

as I said, some people are smaller than others ;)

I find Your statistics not surprising at all - You quote recruitment from highly urbanized industrial areas - poor health and nutrional conditions do lead to an average height loss in poplations. Besides, one also has to think which people from the social pyramid would have tried to enlist....

just commenting...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Next time you're wondering whether to mix and match manufacturers maybe these stats will help you make your mind up.  ;)   

Yeah, but it's the equipment that looks odd, especially Musket lengths.
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:58:39 PM »
Absolutely! Worth a thought though.  ;) 

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
Yeah, but it's the equipment that looks odd, especially Musket lengths.

My point exactly. I have no objection to the long and the short, the thin and the fat, but custom-length Lee-Enfields, Kar 98k, Brens and MG42s is what makes my blood boil.
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
My point exactly. I have no objection to the long and the short, the thin and the fat, but custom-length Lee-Enfields, Kar 98k, Brens and MG42s is what makes my blood boil.

Even figures of roughly compatible height and build still have incompatible weapons and equipment  >:(

There's a very good argument for using "scale" rather than  height for figures, but that's another discussion....

However TC's point is a very good one and looking at period photos really shows the wide range of heights of the Victorian soldier.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
I mix a lot. If I am doing a western or European regular unit I try to keep things close in size. But when doing a native or irregular unit I am much more liberal in the mix. I look more for how they look standing at a table looking down at them than getting up close, because that is the way most people are going to be seeing them. And then if a few guys have a slightly longer rifle most people don't even notice.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 09:23:43 AM »
I know that there was quite a fuss over recruitment dring the Boer war due to the poor health of the nation

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »
I'm currently writing an essay on the health of the late Victorian British army and came across some stats you might find interesting:

By 1901 56.5% of the British army was under 5'6" (1.68m) and 30% was under
8st 8lb (56kg). Through lack of quality recruits and to cope with the pressures of the Boer War the army began to enlist men down to a minimum height of 5'. To put this in perspective only 10.5% of the army was under 5'6" in 1845.

50% of army volunteers in Manchester in 1901 were rejected on reasons of physical incapacity, only 10% were considered fit enough to send abroad to fight! In Liverpool and Newcastle the rejection rate was 38% and in Hounslow (West London) it was 39.5%.   

This is merely tangential but I seem to recall that the Grenadier Guards recruited the taller chaps. That's certainly how I remembered as I posed beside one when I was seven. Is this so or is it true to all Guard regiments or not at all? It is of some relevance to me since I have eight 32mm Gren. Guards I'd like to use with my 28mms.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »
This is merely tangential but I seem to recall that the Grenadier Guards recruited the taller chaps. That's certainly how I remembered as I posed beside one when I was seven. Is this so or is it true to all Guard regiments or not at all? It is of some relevance to me since I have eight 32mm Gren. Guards I'd like to use with my 28mms.

It is the ideal, I think they used to have height limits or minimums etc for the Guards etc and the army in particular, I would think that ceremonial regiments or detachments would be the biggest for parades and Guard duties so I wouldnt worry and would use the tall chaps

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
It is the ideal, I think they used to have height limits or minimums etc for the Guards etc and the army in particular, I would think that ceremonial regiments or detachments would be the biggest for parades and Guard duties so I wouldnt worry and would use the tall chaps

Yes, there were size restrictions when I joined the RE in 1979 and also incidentally the Fire Service in 1989. These have now been scrapped, as well as those for the Police, due to the nice New Labour government's political correctness obsession. After all, very short people should have the right to get shot at/burnt/beaten up in pub brawls too!

Size isn't everything, but if you're not tall enough to get a 13.5m ladder off the top of a fire appliance .....  >:(

I'm not sure if the Guards regiments (they all have/had the same requirements) have been changed with everyone else, but I can tell you they were on average pretty bloody enormous in the 70s-80s  - and that's just in berets.

Your tall guardsmen should look absolutely fine next to the short-arses  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
Your tall guardsmen should look absolutely fine next to the short-arses  ;)

Are you mocking me or my 28s?  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »
Are you mocking me or my 28s?  ;)

If you are less than 1.75m tall, then yes I'm mocking you.

Otherwise, you being a Viking,  I am very respectful of you and will mock your figures instead.

Well, I won't actually, as you are a much better painter than me  lol

former user

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
As far as I know Old Fritz the Prussian started with height regulations for guards
and I am pretty sure it is still valid today, as for the German Guard Batallion, allthough nowadays it is more about a certain height range so that they all look the same, like miniatures   ;)

And I am 1,80 and not a Viking  :-*
nothing is wrong with people under 1,75
When God made the men, it rolled clay sausages and hung them up to dry on a line, and the shorter men could reach only the longer ones  ;)