Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Does size matter that much?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Does size matter that much?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 08:36:50 AM »
Standing around my wild west table I usually have people ranging from 5'5" to about 6'5" actually playing the game.  So I guess 3mm in size on the models doesn't really make that much difference to me.

You would say that wouldn't you Mister SMALLER

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
Different heights do not matter providing the sculpting style is similar. Ranges that favour the bloated "pumpkin head" figure style do not work with those that have a better proportioned style.
While you can get away with it in SciFi or Fantasy, in historical genres it never looks right.

I find the best way to check is to look at the sizes of the weapons/rifles. If the guns look right the figures will work together, if they look like stubby over inflated balloons they will not.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
Yeah, what Robh said, but if it's a good figure that's the main thing. Size doesn't matter if your technique is sound  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
Humans vary in size anyway - so I don't think this is crazy.  28mm is 12% bigger than 25mm which is about the same difference between 5ft 4" and 6ft 0" - well within the normal range.  I would suggest that different figure proportions or painting styles would be more noticeable.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
Yeah, what Robh said, but if it's a good figure that's the main thing. Size doesn't matter if your technique is sound  ;)

lol

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
I will echo what robh said, and I've said before myself.  Sure, it is normal to have PEOPLE of different sizes, but a weapon is a weapon.  A Black Scorpion figure with a winchester  will have a noticably longer and bulkier weapon than your 25mm Minifig, same goes for revolvers.  If you wanted to go through the effort of changing weapons, then mixing the figures would work for you.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
thebinmann;
If you take a real close look, most figures that you have are close enough in my opinion, like you said, real humans are all different shapes and sizes. In the photo with all the figures, the one figure on the left is on a built up base, so he looks even taller than normal. The one on the right is on a black slotta base which always increases the height of figures. I have so many Old West figures from different manufacturers and personally I don't see the problem. I am not very tall (5'7") and I have many friends, some shorter than me (not many) and many well over 6' tall or more, one is 6'8"...so I figure in a skirmish game...who really cares...if they do so what, you painted the figure, terrain and are running the game, and if they don't appreciate that because figures are not all the same size...don't invite them back to play that game again as it bothered them that much. I would rather play a game with great looking figures and terrain (like you have) and get together with my friends than worry about the size of figures....pettiness is for ignorant fools!!

Just my two cents worth.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »
....pettiness is for ignorant fools!!

Well said, that man!
 :D

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
I happily mix different sized miniatures from different ranges, from 25mm to 32mm and it does not bother me. The weapons discrepancy does not matter to me either. I want to use the figures for an enjoyable game with a feel for the old west and the little quibbles over weapon size or slightly large heads is just one thing I can do without. I buy miniatures from certain places cos I like them. If you're happy with the difference then go with it.

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Honestly when you're pushing lead with your mates, the whole scale thing becomes moot if you're having fun! Personally I use different thicknesses of basing material so they even out. I have a nice mix of Pass of the North (Now Monday Knight Productions), Foundry, Dixon, Ral Partha, Old Glory, and Reaper Western figs. I use them all together because I refuse to submit to the whole scale creep issue! I have even removed figures from their cast on bases (Very carefully) and glued them to squares of acetate for ship crews.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
I personally don't care at all, especially with skirmish games.  That being said, sometimes matching a very small range vs. a very large range can be distracting.  I find a bit of work with bases can solve most of that.  I do think it'd be far more noticeable in a rank and file game, say Civil War, Napoleonics where it would become much more obvious.

As a whole?  No, I don't care.  As poor of a painter as I am, I do appreciate the large, clean detail of the Black Scorpion line as it is easier for me to paint!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Yeah, what Robh said, but if it's a good figure that's the main thing. Size doesn't matter if your technique is sound  ;)

Phnnnaar!

I have mixed and matched most and it seems to work ok. I have some knuckleduster pioneer womed who are very small , but they could of course be just that...

I have also mixed the base thickness a little , which can help
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:38:27 PM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
Yup, the only time I really notice the serious difference is when you pair a "tends to be small..." line of minis with a "tends to be huge..." line of minis (Black Scorpion + Knuckleduster etc.).

It does obviously exacerbate the differences.  lol

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:33 AM »
You would say that wouldn't you Mister SMALLER

Funny that :)