Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fast food!  (Read 3057 times)

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
Fast food!
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »
Well it's been quite a while, but I've started on some modern zombie terrain and thought I'd share it everyone.  I'm planning a couple differant buildings but this first one is a fast food drive thru.  Here's a quick pic of the plaster setting up in the foam molds, once they have dried it's onto carving the bricks!

If I get them out of the mold tonight i'll try and get a quick assembly shot to give a better ide how it will look.

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
Re: Fast food!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:39:25 AM »
Well the pieces came out just fine!  I set everything up for a test and am pretty happy, it's going to need some sanding and fitting but all in all it's pretty close.  Here's a couple pics of the building, the only things missing are the roof and the one interior wall (dividing the front and back of the building).

It looks tall at the moment, but that was to leave room for awnings over the windows.  The big holes will get built out to be windowed storefronts as well.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »
Looks cool dlmos.  I like the drive-through window.  :)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »
That looks very  very good so far. Am I reading your technique correctly? You made the moulds from sheet foam - so there was no master and you worked in reverse by leaving gaps where you wanted wall?  The benefits I see are that you can produce multiples and you can scribe the plaster better than the foam.

Most unusual but I am looking forward to seeing more and with a lick of paint.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks!  Yor exactly right on the foam molds Svennn, I like them because I feel like the plaster give a crisper detail when the bricks are carved.  I did a right up a while back on terragenesis on them, here's a link: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page418.html

Unfortunately my laptop just crashed (I'm writing this at work) so updates will be a bit slow till payday when I can pick up a new one.  On the plus side there won't be much to show until then anyways because it'll just be carving the brickwork. 

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »
That's the ideal place for a zombie scenario, as most customers are at least half way there already  ;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Very clever indeed. How durable are the buildings once cast? (I was thinking that you could do these in herculite (the hirstarts stuff) or even resin.

I would ask you to ship some to me but it would probably get damaged on route to the UK, although it wouldn't matter for my terminator board! ;)

Thanks for sharing

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
amazing technique!!! how did you manage to use the foam moulds you made again?  is neoprene enough strong? i  tried something really similar some years ago, but i used cardboard layers, and so tey were absolutely single-use!!! :(

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:17:46 AM »
the pieces are pretty durablecause i use a hard dental plaster, but i am planning on molding the finished parts to cast in resin.  then the building should be super durable and lightweight too. 

As for reusing the foam molds, i only use them once.  i have reused them before but the warp easy and get hard to line back up.  but since all the molds you see in the top picture came from a single $4 packet i figure it's good bang for the buck

I am thinking though that I might make an rtv mold of a large section of brickwork, then i could just cast it up and cut the pieces to fit.  would save a lot of fitting and carving work.

hopefully pics soon though, still on a borrowed netbook until i can get my laptop replaced on payday