Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686518
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gods...  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Gods...
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
Working up the multi-player rules and see room for 'Gods'. Basically a step up from the 'Godling' profile...you will only have enough points to fight one in a multi-player game 30+BP each...come with some funky abilities...cool stuff.

Anyways, the question is: Who (what...) is you favorite mythos 'God' and why?

Offline Agger

• Lead Adventure Club (Danish)
  • Bookworm
Re: Gods...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »
Please no! Gods in games never work... a true god lovecraftian god, if awoken, destroys the world in an instant... keep the godlings :-), but if you want to incorporate gods, then do it with rituals, magic and prayers... stuff like that  :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
Not to fret my young friend! Shocking ammounts of death will happen! Minds will snap!  lol :'( :P

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
nyarlethotep,

so many forms, so much meddling in human affairs, about the only one with an understandable motive.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
Shub Nigurrath- The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

How can you go bad? She's a funky goat-tree-cloud-thingy demon, god of fertility and what not. Her dark young are also great and available as figures.

Ia Ia!

Offline Agger

• Lead Adventure Club (Danish)
  • Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »
but her young itself is more than enough danger for a group of adventurers!  :) never mind, I look forward to see how it all ads up!

Offline ThorsHammer

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
Great to hear the multi-player rules are going well. Can't wait to see those.

Not sure they qualify for TRUE godhood, but how about Mother Hydra and Father Dagon?

Interested to see where the God rules go.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
Yeah, that's a great idea ThorsHammer! Hydra and Dagon are terrible creatures for investigators, but they don't invoke instant death or madness. So one step down from a God.

But if you want to do a God...really do Cthulhu. That's sure good for sales as you can sell it to a wide group of people, not just us insane players. Cthulhu is such an iconic God and there is no good sculpt available (no, don't think the RAFM one is very good). If it's only a rules-creature, Hastur is one of my favorites. The King of insanity and madness really appeals to me... ;D
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
Hastur is the budget god, seeing as we can sculpt him up to fit on a 25mm base  :)

It's worth noting that you're never going to actually defeat a god in physical combat.  The best you can hope to do is either recite the appropriate litany or dish out enough damage to temporarily dispel the physical form, send them back to their own dimension, etc.  Personally, I'm more inclined to represent this by having Threshold fight a series of "spawn" type monsters (eg. Dark Young) rather than the actual god, but this presents some complications from a model perspective.  How many people are really going to want to shell out $60-100 for each set of spawns?  It's not like you're going to fight a god every weekend, after all.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »
It's not like you're going to fight a god every weekend, after all.

This line really cracked me up. Ghostbuster level quote worthy.

Although I've been into WWWII lately, as a Lovecraft fan (read the stories first over thirty years ago) and still proud possessor of the fairly complete Grenadier Call of Cthulhu figure line (Grenadier was in PA same as me, I had most of their stuff at one time as it was relatively easy for me to get here) I've been really intrigued by this game. Great, like I need even more models to wait in line to be painted. Thanks a lot.  ;) 
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Baldrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:58 AM »
My favorite is the Big C itself, but I've always had a "soft-spot" in my heart for Ithaqua, Shub Nigurrath, and the King in Yellow (Tell me, have you seen the yellow sign?)
I have a cunning plan... as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »
nyarlethotep,

so many forms, so much meddling in human affairs, about the only one with an understandable motive.

regards

jim

Absolutely agree with Jim here, Mike. On top of it all, he can actually be defeated/banished (even if he simply allows it to happen for whatever reason). Could be done in a reasonable size, too.

-Doc

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
  How many people are really going to want to shell out $60-100 for each set of spawns?  It's not like you're going to fight a god every weekend, after all.

I agree with you on both points here, the cost and how often we get to use the spawn, taking both of these points together what is the most popular monster spawn made by the manufactures or cheapest and work around that.
There is a few manufactures making deep ones just now.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
Guess I'll mirror the others on Nyarly here.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
I'm with Agger in that the Gods of the mythos would be difficult to represent in a skirmish game. I reckon a small band of folks going up against them would be like someone wrapping themselves in tin foil as protection against a nuclear bomb.... at ground zero. Like Agger said a Dark young is horror enough, one could wipe out a good sized militia, if Mummy turned up.... arrgghh....Tunguska all over again. Could make for a one sided game :)

Looking forward to seeing how you would handle Great Old Ones though.  As for my favorite its got to be the big green sleeper himself.