Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Second Battle Report using my HomeBrew Zombie Rules  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
My Second Battle Report using my HomeBrew Zombie Rules
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:22:27 PM »
The following is a battle report of a game played last weekend with my ever suffering mate Fritzy as a guinea pig for my home-brew zombie rules.

The table was set up ( 5’ X 3’) and terrain features placed.
Originally this was going to be a two player game with two teams of Survivors, so a total of 4 Spawn points were placed: The Hospital, The Theatre, Block of Flats and an In Road.
As I wanted to record the game and oversee any problems I asked Fritzy if it was Ok for him to play solo and I observe. He agreed and rather than reduce the Spawn points he kep them the same ( Very Brave!!!!!)
Fritzy’s gang was his old faithful Bikers, consisting of Spike armed with a SMG and a bike chain, Jayne armed with an SMG and a knife ( she also had a First Aid kit) an Moose armed with a Pump Action Shotgun and some knuckle dusters.
The game was quite simple: The gang had to get to the Bike repair shop on the other side of town, pick up their bikes and leave the table using the same table edge they had entered.

Round 1
A total of 12 Zombies initially spawned. These were divided evenly between the Spawn points.
The Bikers made there way up the table past a block of apartments.
The three Zombies outside the Hospital spotted them and shambled towards them.

Whilst rolling for spawning Fritzy managed to get 8 Zombies AND a “Special” in the form of a dog move onto the table at the Road Junction ( which was quite close to the bike shop)

Round 2
The Bikers continued moving up the table. Conscious that firing weapons tends to attract Zombies, Spike fired a short burst from his SMG at the Zombies next to the Hospital. He managed to knock over the Zombie in the wheelchair, but didn’t take it out of action.

The Zombies at the junction merged into a larger horde ( two hordes coming within 2” of each other merge) and the Theatre spawned three Zombies.

Round 3
Spike throwing caution to the wind opened up on the Zombies near the Hospital, firing 2 short bursts. The Zombies fell under a hail of bullets.
Fritzy being quite pleased with the Bikers’ performance moved them confidently up the table.
A combination of  weapon fire and bizarre dice-rolls resulted in 5 Zombies Spawning at both the Hospital AND the junction and 9 Zombies and a “Special” ( This time a huge Zombie with 2 wounds) spawning at the Theatre.
At the end of Round Three there were 39 Zombies and 2 Specials on the table!!!!

Round 4
The Bikers broke into a run up a side alley trying to avoid the larger groups of Zombies.

A few more Zombies emerged from the Hospital, the rest of the Zombies on the table shambled around aimlessly.

Round 5
The Bikers crawled under a lorry blocking the road, catching sight of their precious bikes!
No Zombies spawned this round but the Zombies at the junction moved slowly towards the bikes!

Round 6
Realizing that they won’t get the bikes without a fight the bikers go on the offensive!
Spike opened up with his SMG knocking 2 Zeds flat, Moose opened up at short range with his shotgun cutting another in half! Jayne switched her SMG to burst fire sending 2 Zeds back to Hell!!

The Zombies near the bikes surged forward en masse attracted by all the noise. The dog broke from the horde getting dangerously close!

Despite all the firing no new Zombies spawned this round!

Round 7
Jayne let rip at the dog with her SMG, missing!!! Moose stepped in and blew the dog to pieces with his shotgun whilst Spike reduced another to a pile of rotten meat with his SMG.
The Bikers braced them self for the zombies’ attack.

The Zombies surged forward sensing the kill. Spike fended off an attack from a lone Zed whilst 2 Zeds piled into Moose Ko’ing him!!!!!

Yet more Zombies Spawn at the Junction.

Round 8
Spike swung his bike chain wildly trying to fend of the stinking rot. He managed to knock it done and get some distance.
Jayne switched her SMG to full auto and “Burnt The Clip” on the three Zombies adjacent the unconscious Moose tearing them to pieces. She then grabbed Moose and dragged him back from the approaching horde.

The Zombies surged forward again, one clawing at Jayne who managed to beat it off!
Another 6 Zombies spawned at the Hospital and another 1 at the junction.

Round 9
Jayne dispatched the Rot in contact with her with a well placed blow to the head and dumped the unconscious Moose, leaving him to his fate.
Spike let off a couple of burst of SMG fire taking down another Zed.
The Zombies close in knocking Spike to the ground. He was down but not out!
The unconscious Moose is surrounded by the ravenous dead, oblivious to the fact he will soon be Zombie chow!

The Hospital spawns another 11 Zombies and another 5 emerge from the Theatre.
At this point there were 62 Zombies on the table!!!!!

Round 10
Spike jumped to his feet and caved in the skull of the Zombie next to him. He spun and fired a burst from his SMG at another stood next to his bike, bursting it’s head like a water melon. He then used his remaining movement to out distance the Rots that were still standing.
Jayne reloaded her SMG and moved up next to Spike.

Spike and Jayne could only look on as Moose is eaten alive.

Round 11
Spike and Jayne realized that it was now or never………They both switched to full auto and “Burnt their clips”!
Spike rolled a critical, meaning that he wouldn’t be out of ammo and blasted 3 Rots into a green mist.
Jayne ripped 4 apart leaving her weapon empty.

A remaining Zombie closed in on her causing a wound but not knocking her out.
3 more Zombies spawned at the junction and 8 emerged from the Office Block.

Round 12
Jayne attacked the Zombie in base contact with her but in her weakened state she misses.
Spike moved in and smashed the offending Zed to pulp with his bike chain.
They both then moved up to the bikes, ready to mount up next turn.

Looking at the table it looked like the Zombies were trying to block the road.

Round 13
Fritzy decides that the Bikers will mount the same vehicle ( so the passenger is free to fire weapons ) so Spike and Jayne mount the Trike and set off across the table.

No new Zombies spawned, but there were plenty in hot pursuit!

Round 14
Spike headed up the quietest part of the table, with Jayne using this as an opportunity to reload!

Round 15
Spike gunned the engine, realizing that escape was in sight! Jayne opened up with a burst from her SMG but failed to hit anything.

The Zombie hordes, attracted by the engine noise closed in. Another 5 Zombies spawned at the Hospital

Round 16
Even moving at half speed for crossing rough terrain ( grass) Spike and Jayne make it off the table!!!
The Zombies can only look on as they speed away. At the end of Round 16 there were a total of 79 Zombies on the table.

As you can see it was a pretty close run thing. It could have all turned nasty really quickly especially with Fritzy’s unlucky spawning rolls.
I didn’t include any “pick ups” in the game just to see how survivable the characters were without them.
Whilst talking to Fritzy afterwards, he was a bit miffed that he didn’t notice that Jayne had a first aid kit and could have saved Moose. Oh well, I’ll just have to do a Zombie Biker mini!!!!! :lol:

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:51:13 PM »
Fantastic battle report!!!   :love:  :D  :love:

You had 79 zombies on the table at one point?!?   :o   I wish I had that many painted.  I love some of the conversions you've done.  I had fun trying to figure out what minis they were originally.   :)

Where did you get the limo and the red truck from?  I think that's the first limo I've seen in scale!

How are your rules coming?  Any plans to release them to the zombified populace sometime???   :roll:

Thanks for posting!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:51:30 PM »
Delicious!

Your game seems to really capture the unstoppable, relentless, creeping horror of the modern zombie genre. And just the perfect balance of tension and a chance to win. Sounds like a bag of fun. And that layout of yours, and the figures are something else, too.

Top-hole, my good man.  Top-hole.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:57:34 PM »
Very nice indeed!

Amazon Miniatures have the limo for sale.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:04:44 PM »
Fantastic: :D
1. Figures
2. Terrain
3. Pictures and photography
3. Game report

where did you get the roads from?

and...whaen will we see some Beta versions of the rules to have a bash with?

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:18:05 AM »
That is one of the best battle reports I have seen. Fantastic!

2 questions:
What brand is that "Dobermann" dog and what brand are the streets?

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:17:37 AM »
Fabulous  :o  :love:

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
Thanks for all the comments! :)

Wally: the truck is from New Ray. It's a little over-sized but fits in OK with the other vehicles. The limo is by a company called Kinsmart. I picked it up in a £1.00 shop. As Matakishi said I think Amazon Miniatures has them.

LTD: The rules are about 60% completed ( well 60% that's readable!)

Terrible Tim: The "Dobermann" is from Ral Partha serial number 01-028 , War dogs and Master. And the streets are from WorldWorks "Streets of Mayhem" printable terrain.

Regards
PM

Offline Gran Capit

• Student
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »
Fantastic!!  :love:
79 painted zombies... I've got only 16 miserable zombies painted, and waiting on the table to be painted about 40 more zombies.  :cry:
It's a hard work!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 06:38:17 PM »
Beautiful Report !
Wonderful Minis !
It was fun to look and read !
Björn
, ,

Offline demi_morgana

• Mad Scientist
    • Miniatures, tutorials, gallery, swearing...
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
great to see copplestone's stuff in action! :)
we these models in modified necromunda game - they have much more character that gw models for sure! (at least most of gw models :wink: )

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
Absolutely awesome, I love every single detail!  :love:
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
What an amazing gaming table...

*turns green with envy*
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
Superb collection  :D  :D  :D  

Its great to see all your figures on the table after seeing the teaser shots over at the Grisly Horror site.

It looks like a great game as well.

Spookily enough I had an afternoon of watching Zombie flicks yesterday. The recent Dawn of the Dead remake and 28 Days Later which I had never seen. I really liked Dawn of The Dead  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing