Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Red and White Russians?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
Painting Red and White Russians?
« on: May 20, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
OK.  I've been stewing over this question for weeks.  I bought the following packs from Brigade Games

Officers

Troops

I bought these with the intention of using them for a RCW scenario for .45 Adventure.  I have 8 of the soldiers.  I plan to have four teams of three, with each team getting two of the soldiers and a leader figure.  The two teams of Whites would be led by the Orthodox Priest and the officer in the greatcoat.  The Reds would be lead by the pointing officer and a kommisar I already have painted.   I know that uniforms at this point were a hodge podge at best, so I figured that I could repaint the same guys to do both sides.  Of course, now I'm not sure how to do this. Can I paint the Reds with one team having khaki tops and red paints, and switch that for the other team.  The White would be in all Khaki I think.  I have both Ospreys for the Red and the Whites, but there weren't a much help as I would like.  I would appreciate any thoughts.  

Also, what GW or Vallejo paint would approximate the khaki of the time frame (the old Tzarist khaki that was so prevalent)?  I apologize if what I am saying isn't clear. :?: Thanks.

Joey M.
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Nowfel

• Assistant
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
I'm not quite sure I understand your question <G> but I think you are looking for ways to make half of these very white-looking figures look like reds so you don't have to buy more.

If so, the items that most clearly identify these as whites or Imperial troops are the shoulderboard and the imperial cockades on the caps, both symbols of the old Tsarist army. For the red soldiers, I would therefore file off the shoulderboards and cockade and paint on a red armband. For the officer, it would be easier to have the one in the greatcoat as a red officer (no visible shoulderboard). Red pants are pretty much a no-no, I would go for plain khaki uniforms and red armbands all around, possibly with a red star on the cap band.

For the whites, you could paint them as one of the "colourful" regiments (see here for an example) which would make them pretty different even if you have the same poses and/or go over the top with red-white-blue chevrons.

Can't help with the VJ paint reference.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:16:05 AM »
Thanks guys.  I think I have the direction I want to go.  Gracious.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:30:18 AM »
Follow-up question for you guys.  The models have pronounced collars and sleeve cuffs.  Would these look weird if I painted them red? Thanks.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
no at all, would look good for the Reds (not for the Whites)

Offline Nowfel

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
Well, it's Pulp rather than straight history in which case I tend to favour the Hollywood approach : do what you think the guy in charge of costumes for the next RKO talky would have done to make sure the reds are identified as reds. Of course, you have the advantage of being able to use colour. ;-)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
For greenish khaki I use VMC green brown(879)+dark brown, then green brown and green brown+bleached bone for the highlights. For a faded Look I use VGC
 Beasty brown then foundry Canvas (A)and Canvas (B) for the highlights. Paint the cuffs and collars red, will look cool I think :D  Hope that helps