Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689497
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game Table With Storage (now made - update with photos 18/03)  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
The background is that I now have 5 terrain boards (each 1.2m x 0.5m x 0.05m) and want to make another four, but due to available table surface* can only play a max of two at a time, whereas I really want to play three.

I have a mind to construct a storage unit to house the boards (and other terrain items) with two fold out panels that will enable it to accomodate up to three of the terrain boards.  The unit would be mobile and about 90cm high by 130cm wide by 60cm deep.  As far as I can google there is nothing commercially available (and in any event I don't like buying stuff if I can make a passable go of it myself!!!). 

BTW, the ability for it to fold-up is essential, as space in the room is quite limited and so when not gaming it'd need to be rolled to one side.

Does anyone else have or plan to have something like this? 

Edit = table

2nd edit = title change

*And yes, I know there is something called the floor but I have two teenagers and a collie dog ......   ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:10:01 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Gaming Stables & Terrain Board Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
Maybe you could look at cheap folding dining tables and somehow convert the middle. You could probably get them quite cheap on flea-bay.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gaming Stables & Terrain Board Storage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
That is the maximum footprint for this unit? Right off the bat I'm envisioning something on casters around 1m x 1.5m with a drop-leaf on either side, but if you can make it the same height as your existing table you could omit the leaves.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Gaming Tables & Terrain Board Storage
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
The ceiling?  I made a hanging apperatus, with U brackets and two by fours, where terrain boards are just slid through and remain safely overhead.

Your idea sounds fine, however, same with Arrons.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
Have you looked at Baker's Racks?  They are aluminum shelving units on wheels - if you got a shorter one you could convert the shelves to hold terrain boards, and mount a folding tabletop onto it such that the leaves folded to either side.  Here is an example of a taller one:  http://www.peakrental.com/site/969014/product/6570

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »
I didn't comprehend your dilemna the first time (Stupid brain!), you want storage that turns into space for an extra panel or two?

My GF HATED the concept,   but I did do a "Murphy Table", 4x3' that was flush against the living room wall, and hinged down to a 90 degree angle, at the height where it rested upon a shelf unit horizontally, and fit flush with my 4'x8' table gaming table.

I covered the underside, which was the side that showed when upright, with a "U" towel, a rendition of Jimmy Johnson (the former Canes/Dallas Cowboy coach with the hairspray, not the NASCAR guy).  That didn't make things any better with the GF, but it got plenty of compliments from gamers.   :-[

It worked great, would have worked better, had I not bought the   murphy system from Ikea, as it didn't take long for the cheap particle board to disintegrate at the hinge screws joints, and thus render itself useless after a season of gaming     >:(

Anyway, maybe something like that?

Get Mal Wright to paint the underside with your favorite ship or somethiong, and call it "Useable Art"  ????

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Game Table With Storage (now made - update with photos 18/03)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
Kudos on a nifty project well realised.
Based on past experience, you might consider setting some beefier casters under the unit. Although with the number you have, the distributed weight might not be so onerous for the little wheels.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
Wow that looks fantastic. I love how you've used the window stays, a very ingenious solution and a lot cheaper than the folding brackets. Is it intended to store the boards and if so how many can you store inside it? I'm thinking of making something similar that can double up as a workbench too for when the girlfriend and I get a new place, I may need to brush up on my woodworking skills between now and then though.  :)

Haarken
Forgotten Futures: Pulp, Dieselpunk & Weird War Gallery.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »

Great job!

I think that something like that is what many gamers talk about and plan but never get around to actually doing (at least, thats what I am like).

Well done for seeing it through.  I hope that you get a lot of gaming mileage from it.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
Fantastic job! That looks like a nice amount of storage space.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
Looking good mate  :D

cheers 

James

Offline Calvin Montana

• Student
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
An extremely nice and functional build!