Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: We Made a new Wargaming Table Top For Fantasy Warriors! [pg 2 FINISHED photos]  (Read 10347 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
My husband Teshub and I want to start playing Fantasy Warriors with all our new Nick Lund Orcs. Problem was, our gaming table was 20 inches short of regulation. Rather than let our physical space limit our gaming fun, we decided to build a new table top. In 24 hours we turned this:

into this:

Lots more pix and how to on the blog:
http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/workshop/wargaming-tabletop/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:38:26 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
LOOKIN' GOOD! I like the mottled colors & the texture of the Beasty. The tee shirt turned out cool also. GREAT WORK! Have FUN on it!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
You live in the wood  :o Wooaaaaaah

Nice gaming board by the way. I did one with a buddy and i wished we did it outside, we messed up his worshop ;D
Here you can see my stuffs!!!

http://sybouslair.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Woah, that's a board! And that's a quick work!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks folks! Some of you maybe wondering "Where's the grass? How about trees? Mushrooms, even?" The greatest part about the vinyl spackle we texture with is the illusion of depth we can get with a few layers of paint. We need it flat, so we can put more stuff on top! Such as:

LOOKIN' GOOD! I like the mottled colors & the texture of the Beasty. The tee shirt turned out cool also. GREAT WORK! Have FUN on it!

We had a blast just making it so far!
You live in the wood  :o Wooaaaaaah

Nice gaming board by the way. I did one with a buddy and i wished we did it outside, we messed up his worshop ;D

Yes, I'm still staring at smears of spackle on paint in the yard, but it's dirt! Who cares! I would have cared a lot if my floors and wall looked like this. And the woods are awesome!

I feel like I should advertise "Come play on over 40 square feet of gaming terrain!" Something like that. Our 10-yr-old son had a friend over who watched us for a bit then asked him, "Do your parents do this every weekend?" To which our son replied, "Nah, this is the first table they've ever done. The other weekends the stuff is usually smaller."  :)

Jev

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
This was great fun, better even than a night out!
Thanks for posting this  :-*

I can't wait to play on it.
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
I would kill for that kind of space indoors. This is going to be sweet when you're done with it.

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
Table is looking good, Fantasy Warriors is a fun game.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Woo hoo! It's slowly getting closer to the weekend, and more time to finish the stuff that goes on the table!

Table is looking good, Fantasy Warriors is a fun game.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear Fantasy Warrior is fun. I've read it plays well. I can't wait to get it ON on the table top.

that is massive.

I would kill for that kind of space indoors. This is going to be sweet when you're done with it.

Who says bigger isn't better?  :D

At the time we built our house we hadn't been really able to paint or model the way we liked for about 4 years. (For those not familiar with my story, Teshub & I met playing D & D 23 years ago.  :-* Long version on the blog: http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/about-the-site/about-the-author/ ).  We knew we wanted a space where we could display the minis and play the game, but we also wanted to be together as a family while we hobbied. This was super important to us.

There are several specifics about the space I'll put on the blog soon, but mainly we kept a big open floor plan. No walls, and no lolly columns needed. Then the only furniture we put in were bar stools for the hobby/gaming counter and the computers. Seriously. My mother kept asking me, "But where will people sit when they come over?" She wasn't satisfied when I explained you couldn't see the game table very well from a sofa.

So what looks like wonderful big empty space is just that: a great big playroom!

I'm so lucky!
Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I'm so lucky!

You are indeed. You two have the sort of relationship/love that folk like moi dream about...or did once, & they write songs about. Congratulations; it couldn't have happened to two nicer people.

That aside, NICE LOOKING Hills! I spent the morning adding a couple of hills to the next board in my Spooky Woods Thingy...another instance of "Great Minds".

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
I'm digging this!

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
You are indeed. You two have the sort of relationship/love that folk like moi dream about...or did once, & they write songs about. Congratulations; it couldn't have happened to two nicer people.

That aside, NICE LOOKING Hills! I spent the morning adding a couple of hills to the next board in my Spooky Woods Thingy...another instance of "Great Minds".

Thanks Nala :)

The wife is truly an unending source of inspiration for me as well. I mean what's a guy to do when the Mrs says "You need to paint more orcs and make me a model a castle for the sword and sorcery game!" ???

The first thing she said once we finished this new wargaming table was "What's next?"   :-*

I'm the lucky one.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Mud brown isn't my color of choice but it's nice to see again some old school approach, with a flat table and hills, streets, trees etc separately on top of it. It's something different from the perfect styled modular tables you see nowadays everywhere.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great table. And for once decent people who know what a house is for: to use as a gaming facility. Top notch!  :D
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Once again, I am left looking for the blushing smilie :-* Thanks for the warm fuzzies to start the day with.

Great table. And for once decent people who know what a house is for: to use as a gaming facility. Top notch!  :D

lol Thanks, we are getting so much love for this table we want to do a water surface now. The more I look at the mud, I can see a way to finish it a little differently and have a decent water-looking board that our flat-bottomed boats can sit on. I love what folks on the LAF have done for water; resin looks great, but is heavy for how we'll need to move/store the board. There are lots of other ways you creative people have done water that are inspiring! 

We did actually create a space to store this big guy before we started. Now, space for the hills is another story...

Mud brown isn't my color of choice but it's nice to see again some old school approach, with a flat table and hills, streets, trees etc separately on top of it. It's something different from the perfect styled modular tables you see nowadays everywhere.

Thank you! Again, there are lots of GORGEOUS boards here and I would love to photograph my minis on any of them :) .
But yes, it's that old-school feel when it all started with a battlemat.

You two have the sort of relationship/love that folk like moi dream about...or did once, & they write songs about. Congratulations; it couldn't have happened to two nicer people.

*blushing again* And we force our children to listen to those songs. :) Thank you. It's wacky to see how that shows through pics and paragraphs.

If you show me your hills, I'll show you mine ;)

I'm digging this!

Thanks Patrick! And thanks for the linkage on your blog!

Jevenkah