Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming without shooting  (Read 3235 times)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
Wargaming without shooting
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »
I have recently tried to set up a game without so much shooting...so instead of shooting your opponent, make him run away or out-smart him etc.
e.g. a troupe of resistance fighters can't defeat the invading army but might be able to hinder them or confuse them...because if they try to kill the invaders they would just have to face reinforcements and they can't win....uhm..I hope you got the idea  :?
I  am looking for something how and underdog can survive against overwhelming odds.

I am struggling now to come up with a concept, some ideas, scenarios and rules or mechanisms that would support this approach. All the rule systems look mainly look at "shoot your opponent and remove the figure" type of action, but I thought there must be something more than that

Anybody any ideas
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: Wargaming without shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:16 AM »
the most simple way to acheive that is to have specific objectives given to the weaker force, that when acheived would have negative impacts on the other force.

Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
I have recently tried to set up a game without so much shooting...so instead of shooting your opponent, make him run away or out-smart him etc.
e.g. a troupe of resistance fighters can't defeat the invading army but might be able to hinder them or confuse them...because if they try to kill the invaders they would just have to face reinforcements and they can't win....uhm..I hope you got the idea  :?
I  am looking for something how and underdog can survive against overwhelming odds.

I am struggling now to come up with a concept, some ideas, scenarios and rules or mechanisms that would support this approach. All the rule systems look mainly look at "shoot your opponent and remove the figure" type of action, but I thought there must be something more than that

Anybody any ideas

I have a seen a cople of games like this. The first one which springs to mind is Eurekas Teddy bears wars 'Rorkes Picknick' is rather funny. Zulu teddies vs. British teddies.

The other one was a huge game board I once saw at Historicon, Amish defending themselves against Corporate America. Amish, being strictly pacifists, cannot use firearms so they used a range of farm implements and homoe made devices to insult, sully and generally push the corporate goons out of their lands. I fondly remember the cheer which shook the very foundation of the Lancester Inn when the cow-tapult shot down the ABC News Helicopter.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
Might something like Irregular's Riot! rules or Warm Acre's No Go Zone (about policing), be of any use?

former user

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
I do understand what You are aiming at, however I doubt this is possible in wargeming terms.

Any rules I know allow the miniatures to act by fighting only. There might be some sneaking around and hiding.

The only set I know would be T&T by the "special action" order cards, which allow for a broad interpretation of what the leader/hero is doing

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
the most simple way to acheive that is to have specific objectives given to the weaker force, that when acheived would have negative impacts on the other force.

I'd have to go with this too. You need a rule set which allows the underdog to sneak around to attempt to gain set objectives... plant explosive charges, grab the prisoner, or just make it across the table etc, while the enemy just has to spot them and start shooting.

I can't think of any specific games off hand, but wasn't there a Colditz style game or something similar which was based on attempts to escape/attempts to discover? There was also a WW2 game based on special operations too iirc? Maybe these might be converted.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
Why not pick a war in which no-one got hurt? The 'Cod Wars' between Britain and Iceland spring to mind here. Try this wargames article;
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/scenarios/Cod_War.pdf

We'll gettum next time!  ;)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »
We've done a few games where 1 stand of 3/4 15mm figs represents a company and simply had a friction range that interferes with the operations of enemy stands. Combat was asssumed but heavily abastracted with no figure removal.

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
  You need a rule set which allows the underdog to sneak around to attempt to gain set objectives... plant explosive charges, grab the prisoner, or just make it across the table etc, while the enemy just has to spot them and start shooting.

Leo Cronin's "The Black and Tan Wars" do this very well, at least for me.
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me