Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691302
  • Total Topics: 118384
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten  (Read 15737 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
So, we are hard at work on Shocking Tales #2 and a new project as well...Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten...just thought I should start up this thread to babble a little about the new project, take in some ideas and various other stuff in relation.

Here are the four basic cults (two remaining will be debated and added...possibly a 'build your own cult' contest...) and a little info on the game...Onto the add copy ( ;)):

Getting Started
Each player will be responsible for building, organizing and maintaining a cult of despicable degenerates. To begin pick one of the Cult Archetypes as a starting template, it will tell you what models are allowable and other special rules relating to your cult of choice.

A starting cult has 35 Resource Points (RP) to utilize in the recruitment of its members. Resource Points are usable as either Build Points or Base Points, representing the cults ability to persuade with money and by other, less wholesome means…
A starting cult must be between 5 and 10 models…it can grow to as many as you can afford to maintain.

Cults must be lead by one (and only one…) Magus. Start by choosing and equipping the Magus as you see fit. The Magus may gain up to 10 Skills.

After you have decided on your Magus he will need a Congregation of depraved followers. Check the Congregation section of your Cult Archetype for allowable choices, then purchase and equip them. Members of the Congregation may gain up to 5 Skills each.

Spend the left over RP on additional weapons and gear or any other Lurkers from the Strange Aeons rulebooks that are allowed to you. Allowable Cultists will tell you the category of Lurkers you may choose from. These other cultists may only ever gain 2 Skills each.

Tally up all the RP and you should be at a Total RP of 35. If so you have built your vile cult and are now ready to fight for the amusement of your dark masters.

Cult Archetypes
Each of the Cult Archetypes offers its own unique challenges and abilities…choose wisely from the following options: Arcane Seekers, Death Cult, Serpent Worshippers, Dagonites, ________ and ________.

Arcane Seekers
Magus: High Priest or Rogue Threshold Character
Congregation: Cultist, Cult Leader, Henchman, Suicide Cultist, and Rogue Threshold Agent
Allowable Cultists: Human
Special Rules: None

Death Cult
Magus: Mad Scientist, Witch or Mummy
Congregation: Cultist, Cult Leader, Zombie, Henchman and Conglomerate
Allowable Cultists: Human and Undead
Special Rules: A Death Cult may never have more Undead models than Human Models in the cult.

Serpent Worshippers
Magus: Serpentman Demagogue or High Priest
Congregation: Cultist, Cult Leader, Tcho-Tcho and Serpentman
Allowable Cultists: Humanoid and Human
Special Rules: Serpent Worshippers may never have more Human models than Humanoid Models in the cult.

Dagonites
Magus: Fishman Demagogue or High Priest
Congregation: Cultist, Cult Leader, Hybrid, Fishman, Henchman
Allowable Cultists: Humanoid and Human
Special Rules: Rogue Threshold Agents and Characters may never join a Dagonite cult.

So? what do you think so far? Questions...concerns?

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »

That is simply glorious  :D.

In fact I love it.  Those categories fit every cult type one might want to build. 

One thought...

I might suggest a cult which could field Demons though to be added.  Whether the cult be a band of hearty old Devil Worshippers with a Succumbus in their midst or a brandch of the Cult of the Bloody Tongue with a Nightgaunt.  Regardless, some category of Cult should be able to field demons...???

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:35 PM »
up to now look ok,but how you going to make up a group of threshold with 35 points to match them, will the agents have exter skill given, or or will the BP be spent on buying exter agents.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Looks interesting. I think the first thing I would do with the rules would be to add "good-guy" teams.

Aside from the theme of the game is there any reason why you wouldn't add rules for Threshold or Academic teams to the game?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »
Basically the cults will earn Skills and fight for Favor while managing Resources to keep them in members and gear...and other unsavory things. It will be cult vs. cult with a differential bonus for ratings (more like a standard skirmish game) when the difference is too high the lower cult can inform the Government and Threshold are dispatched to 'clean out' the cult...

Hope to have enough together for a 'Free Play Test Package' that should be available in Rocktober...get some feedback from you guys.  :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »
Gauntman,
Daemons will have to be Summoned to the table and (probably...) Bound to the cult. Got some crazy Scenarios lined up...don't tell your buddy with no sense of humor!  lol

Jnr,
It is a different game set in the same universe as Strange Aeons but using various different game mechanics...to come at things from a more 'sinister and debautched' angle...kinda Lurker-centric.

Pixelgeek,
I would argue that the Arcane Seekers are kinda good guys...at least they used to be.  :? An Academic team is a very good idea...Armatage and co. I'll have a think on that one...not 'good guys' as much as 'normal folk' or 'consciencious objectors'... :D

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »
Hey Uncle Mike, this looks great. Can't wait for it!

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:09:59 AM »
Mike...

So this Cult version will actually center around cults rather than characters??? 

I thought you were describing a separate team advancement mechanic for the Lurkers too.  More of a team building competition approach alternative rather than a balanced character driven system.

So there would be no Threshold protangonics but rather various Lurker Cult type forces vying for domination or damnation???

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »
Pixelgeek,
I would argue that the Arcane Seekers are kinda good guys...at least they used to be.  :? An Academic team is a very good idea...Armatage and co. I'll have a think on that one...not 'good guys' as much as 'normal folk' or 'consciencious objectors'... :D

They don't really need to be "good" as long as I have some option for gamers to have regular people in the game

Offline mkcontra

• Student
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:56 AM »
I like the idea.  What about a corrupt Gov or Business group? 

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »
Just wrote up some Skills for Conspiracy and Government Funding to do with just that.  :D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 06:19:58 AM »
With the option to have some "regular" people in the game it's much easier to finese a list to match what a player wants. We'd really only need one list as well since the difference between most human groupsnwould be in the background for the most part

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
Not sure if you have rules for it but I think you'll need to include some rules or scenario additions to balance out games between cults that have widely different values.

It is always a problem in these sort of campaign games

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
That thought did pass through my mind cult against cult, seeing  how the gods did not like one and other.
Thank you for update looking forward to try it out the free play test package.

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »
Why not just change the rules to include Threasehold as a Cult that way you include both elements into a single game style and thus expand it.

Liking death Cult for some reason, It would have to be run by a Mummy..Just because :D

Become who you really are... [/i]