Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early Polish Uniforms  (Read 11266 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Early Polish Uniforms
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm after your thoughts on painting early Polish Uniforms for 1939. Both horse and foot as applicable. I'm awaiting the Osprey for any additional information.

I visited the Australian War Memorial and the Polish Uniform that was on display was more Brown Violet in colour.

Thanks a bunch an I look forward in reading your thoughts.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Early Polish Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:14:32 AM »
I've got a great book for this sort of thing called "The Armed Forces of WW2" by Andrew Mollo. It has several picture of what you're after.

I don't know if I can adequately describe the colour of the uniforms, so here's a scan from the book itself:

Reference:
http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Forces-World-War-Organization/dp/0748100210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289106782&sr=8-1

(If having these scans on here gets the forum in trouble just let me know so I can remove them).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
There's a thread on Axis History that might be of help, it meanders a bit in places, but there's some good detail here and there. There seems to be a variation in colour of uniform, from a greenish-khaki, through to a brownish-khaki, so I guess it's the usual deal of picking what works for you.  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:32 AM »
Thanks very much for the photos and link, very helpful.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
Helen "Tank Girl" - I know you through Mike Broadbent!

I've recently returned from the Museum of the Polish Army in Warsaw, have done LOTS of reading about these uniforms, painted up a 15mm 1939 Polish Army for Fow 4-5 years ago and, coincidentally, am currently painting up some Bolt Action Polish figures. Let me get to my notes tonight so I can post them here.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:50 PM »
I have some photos of original uniforms (always my preferred choice for reference material). I'll try to post them.
[/img][/img]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:17:42 PM by sepoy1857 »
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:47:27 AM »
Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Koz, thanks, that would be nice.

Scott, thanks for the e-mails containing the uniforms. Lovely work, thanks a million.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
I've reviewed the Osprey book, lots of photos on line, Polish reviews of available paints for the Polish Army 1939, my own reproduction clothing, multiple texts as well as the uniforms available at the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw. The last was only partially helpful as the mannequins there didn't show the back of the uniform.
The best info that I could find indicates that most uniforms were similar in shade to the British Khaki (not to be confused with the American idea of that shade - the British shade is darker) but greener. The light khaki shown in re-enactor pages is too light and more brown than green-brown. Shoes are black; the single uniform in the Polish Army Museum has brown shoes, however, it represents a single example; while brown could be used, the overwhelming info I found showed black footwear was more common. Webbing and backpacks were a lighter khaki color; ammo pouches and straps were a shade of brown. The toughest color for me to pick out was the bedroll around the central backpack (which was a yellowish shade of khaki.) The Museum showed it to be a darker shade than the uniform of a gray/brown shade; other photos made it look like a darker shade of green/brown - the shade I chose is my best guess and the least favorite shade I chose.
I tried to pick shades from standard paints like Vallejos and Foundry. I also tried to find single shades and not blends where possible.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
Unfortunately, the colors suggested by Battlefront are both incorrect and incomplete. I wouldn't recommend using them at all. Of course, I'm no expert and welcome and suggestions others may have. V = Vallejo, F = Foundry paints.
Uniform - V 921 English Uniform
Central backpack - a mix of 1/3rd F Base Sand 10A and V 983 Khaki to give a lighter and yellowish hue
Knapsack, straps and gaiters/puttees (several drawings/photos showed these to be different colors so I chose to use a similar approach as I did for my 15mm figs which turned out very well) - V 983 Khaki
Straps, ammo pouches, outer shovel covering - V 846 Mahogany Sand
Helmet - V 889 US Olive Drab
Shovel handle - F Base Sand 10A
Rifle - V 875 Beige Brown or F Spearshaft 13B
Mess kit (again, a tough call as the text described the color as olive drab but all photos showed it to be a lighter shade of geen) - F Phlegm Green 28B
Bed Roll (another tough color choice) - F British Uniform Brown 101A
Shoes - Black

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
Helen,

I hope these colors (colours?!) help. I'm generally pleased with the way my figs are turning out. The bedroll shade is only OK in my eyes (when originally painting them for my 15mm army I used V 886 Green Grey but it didn't seem to work well in 28mm scale (I'm painting Bolt Action 1939 Poles - they're awesomely sculpted figs!) I'm trying to finish them up for our "Kriegsklaw" game (using the Eureka "Jurrasic Reich" figs.)

I'll trade photos with you via PM if you'd like. I can't figure out how to post pics here and my photo skills stink. Good luck!

Michael

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Thanks Koz very much for your painting information. Along with Scott's suggestions I'll do my best to get some sort of order for the task at hand.

Thank you and Scott once again.

I'll paint up a Polish soldier and place it here for comment.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
Hi Helen
Here some pictures from a book out of print

POLAND
Khaki was originally adopted by Poland in 1919, and in 1935 the uniform was extensively modernised so that by the outbreak of war the Polish army was universally dressed in a standard khaki uniform.
The tunic was single-breasted with stand-and-fall collar and seven white metal buttons in front. The breast and side patch pockets had a flap and button. The pointed shoulder straps were plain, and the regimental number or cypher was usually painted in yellow on a cloth side, so that it could be removed when desired; on officers' shoulder straps the number or cypher was embroidered in silver. The cuffs were plain with an opening at the back for other ranks, and one button for officers. Trousers were long and worn with short puttees and ankle boots. Officers and mounted personnel wore khaki breeches (Generals with blue Lampassen) and black boots. The great¬coat was single-breasted with fall collar, six buttons in front, turnback cuffs with tab and two buttons, and plain pointed shoulder straps.
Head-dress included the czapka which was stiff with square khaki top, band in arm or regiment colour and black leather peak and chin straps. On the front all ranks wore the Polish eagle and their badge of rank. A soft version of this cap with ear flap and metal buckle in front was worn as a field cap. The czapka was worn by all ranks in all units except Chevaux Legers and Frontier Corps, who wore a similar cap but with round top. At the beginning of the war the French helmet was in the process of being replaced by the 1935 Polish model, so that it was still being worn by cavalry and artillery.
Tank troops were dressed very much like their French counter-parts with double-breasted black leather jacket, black beret and the French motorised troop helmet, painted khaki. The arm-of-service colour worn on the collar patches shaped like lance pennants were orange and black cloth. Mountain troops wore the traditional circular khaki felt hat with brim and eagle's feather on the left side and a long khaki cloak which was worn over the left shoulder.
Rank was indicated on the front of the cap and on the shoulder straps as follows:
N.C.O.s (corporals) One to three silver-embroidered bars on the cap, and lace ones across the middle of the shoulder strap.
N.C.O.s (sergeants) One or two red-edged silver-embroidered chevrons on the cap, and red-edged silver lace chevrons and edging on the shoulder straps.
Company officers One to three five-pointed silver-embroidered stars on the shoulder straps and cap with, in
addition, one row of silver braid around the
top of the cap band.
Field officers
One to three five-pointed silver-embroidered
stars and two bars on the shoulder straps, and
one to three stars and two rows of silver
braid on the cap.
Generals
One to three five-pointed silver-embroidered
stars and zigzag embroidery across base of
shoulder strap (and on collar patches and
cuffs) and on the cap band with, in addition,
two rows of silver braid on the cap.
Marshals
As generals but with gilt crossed staffs or
bulava, surmounted by the Polish eagle.
Arm-of-service and regimental colours appeared on the cap and collar patches, as well as on the undress trousers, as follows:*

Arm   Cap band   Collar patch   Piping
Generals   Khaki   Dark blue   Crimson
Infantry   Dark blue   Dark blue   Yellow
Rifle battalions   Dark blue   Dark blue   Green
Field artillery   Dark green   Dark green   Scarlet
Heavy artillery   Dark green   Dark green   Crimson
Anti-aircraft   Dark green   Dark green   Yellow
artillery         
Engineers   Black   Black   Scarlet
Signals   Black   Black   Cornflo\v
Tank troops   Orange   Black/Orange   —

Hope it helps
David

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »
David,

Great looking pics. Nice!

Michael

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Thanks David, very helpful.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
An old blog with my 15mm Polish Flames of War army on it.

http://koznarsky.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:50:39 AM by koz10 »