Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons FAQ  (Read 128986 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Strange Aeons FAQ
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »
Yup. You got it.  :)

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 07:26:29 AM »
Thank you!
I was a little bit disappointed because at first I thought the quests only were meant to be played once, but this is great!

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 05:02:28 AM »
Does the "Handcannon" and "Heat Ray" weapons count as handguns or are they 2 handed like rifles? I want to know if I can use one in right hand while using a common handgun like the .45 in my offhand
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:04:40 AM by Kamiya »

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
So far as I'm aware, you can only dual-wield a ranged weapon specified as a Handgun.  Thus only .22 and .45 Handguns are eligible at present.

And believe me, once you've armed yourself with the Heat Ray, all other guns seem obsolete!

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
Cool, thanks for the answer!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
It should also be noted that the Special Branch Prototype Weapons are only available after Promotion.  :(

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
OK, we started another campaign. Now I have a few old & new questions.

1) How does Multiple Injuries work for Agents? Very literally speaking, it happens like this:
- "When an Agent is removed as a Major Injury roll D66, subtract 1 from the value of the first die, and consult the table".
- Table entry says: "Roll D3 times on this table". (No modifier mentioned.)
So, are the further results unmodified or does that -1 apply every time when an Agent consults the table?

2a) Falling: If a model does not fail it test (which would cause a Major Injury) nor hit another model (goes Face Down), are there any ill effects whatsoever? We just had a model pushed a few inches back and several inches down by a shotgun blast. Can he keep moving like nothing had happened?
2b) Which rules should we use for jumping intentionally down from elevated positions? Is it Falling or Jumping, and which height starts to count as potentially dangerous?

3) Werewolf has Parry both as a skill and in its Claws entry. Is this intentional, that is, does it have two parries?

4) Can I get automatically succeeding shooting/casting rolls if the base stat is 2+ and I use Accurate or Bookish skills?

5) Which dice can I modify with the Lucky Hat? Those rolled by me? Those affecting the model itself (such as Injury Table, rolled by the opponent)? Or affecting a friendly model? Any dice (including opponent's)?

The question of combining saves is still a bit open too. Dodge is taken "in addition to Cover Saves", but how about Plot Points (Black Sabbath, Full Moon), Spell saves and so on. Do I modify the previous saves or take a lot of separate ones?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 03:33:53 AM »
Hey Dolmot,

1) The -1 always applies to the roll. And you can roll multiple-multiple injuries. If that makes sense...

2a) I would say it could keep moving...although a Face Up result may actually be best...Thoughts?

2b) Anything with a start and end position of no more than 1" is a Jump. Anything over 2" is falling. I figured the average guy can't fall very far without risking injury...

3) Totally intentional. It has 2 Parries.

4) Yup. At this point in your career the Lurker may wish to invest in some Dodge, Duck, Tough and Thick Skin skills. As well as playing the scenery for maximum cover.  >:D

5) Any dice of either player.

I've seen it played either way as the rules do not specifically state what to do. Personal preference really as I think both are fine as long as the players agree.  :)

Hope that helps and thanks for you questions...they always keep me reading through the book!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
Thanks for the answers this far. Some commentary:

And you can roll multiple-multiple injuries. If that makes sense...

It might, but is it consistent with "roll D3 times on this table, rerolling any further Multiple Injuries results"?

2b) Anything with a start and end position of no more than 1" is a Jump. Anything over 2" is falling. I figured the average guy can't fall very far without risking injury...

Well, the scenario I was describing is basically dropping straight down. Rules for Jumping say that if the gap (which I understand as the horizontal distance) is less than 2", there's no test. In this case there's no horizontal movement at all. Therefore it's dubious whether Jumping should apply here.

Regarding height, models can cross 1" obstacles with no penalty and 1-2" with only a minor slowdown. Scaling such obstacles probably includes dropping down from them, so I'd say controlled falling should be fairly safe up to that point. I don't think it makes much sense to take tests for <1" height. That would mean risking death at every doorstep.

2a) I would say it could keep moving...although a Face Up result may actually be best...Thoughts?

I think it depends whether we're talking about voluntary descent or being thrown through a window by a shotgun blast.

It could make sense to allow Jumping down something like 2-4" as the model's own action by taking the standard Dx test. If that's successful, everything is fine. All failed Jumps and involuntary push-backs of over 2" would result in Falling (like they already do) with a minimum result of Face Up. In other words, voluntary jumping is a test of skill. Crashing down for any reason becomes a test of toughness with at least some negative effects.

4) Yup. At this point in your career the Lurker may wish to invest in some Dodge, Duck, Tough and Thick Skin skills. As well as playing the scenery for maximum cover.

Actually, the very easiest way to achieve 1+ rolls is to give Bookish to a High Priest. It's the Threshold player who can give up all hope of seeing that (un)lucky '1'.

(Now when I read the Bookish entry, I assume it doesn't really mean "adds +1 to its Resolve", right? "Resolve roll" might be more appropriate...)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Back again...

1) Oops...you are correct here. I am totally out to lunch with my first reply.  :? Although, the -1 does always apply...

2b) Fair point. I agree.

2a) I like voluntary vs. involuntary...will need a little testing but your solution looks fine.  :) You will end up getting a rule credit in the Second Edition as I think this should be clarified.

4) Also true. But the High Priest should be the cats meow when it comes to slinging spells...not like those Cultists are very proficient... ;) And correct again, it would be more appropriate.

Any more for any more?

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »
Now when I think about it, this "death or nothing" outcome of falling sounds a bit drastic. After all, there is a mechanic which takes into account your constitution and remaining wounds, and causes varying levels of injuries. What I'm hinting is a common Damage roll with a +[inches fallen] bonus. Anything can happen, but if it's over 4 inches you fall, it'll probably be nasty anyway...

Offline The Eponymous M

• Schoolboy
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Ok, tried out the demo game with my brother last night and a couple of things came up that may be either our interpretation of the rules, or just not clear in the cut down version:

If a model starts the turn engaged in close combat, can it fight the combat, score the hit and THEN use two actions?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
Yes.  Any models engaged in base-to-base at the beginning of either player's turn will fight a single round of close combat.  This takes place before nominations are made for the turn.  If that model is subsequently nominated that turn, it may still take two actions as normal.  However, if you still find yourself in base-to-base with a Normal enemy model (ie. not Face Up or Face Down) after the "free" combat, your only option will be to take Charge actions to continue fighting.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
With a new book out, time to bump the FAQ back to the top!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
Uncle Mike;

Maybe it is time to make the FAQ a 'sticky'....