Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warehouse Construction  (Read 2395 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Warehouse Construction
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
Looking around I decided on a simple warehouse construction based on a project of a fellow board member El Comandante.  I stole the brick trim and the idea of a raised warehouse floor.  I decided on a simple 2 room floorplan with a set of stairs leading to the raised warehouse floor.  I'll possibly include a fenced in yard section surrounding the loading dock.

After making measurments and drafting a template on typing paper, I measured out the design on posterboard.  

I'm paying a bit more attention to my time involved during construction too.  I'd say I have 3 hrs involved (not including design planning).

Here are the drafts on posterboard and the final cuts leaded together before glue and pinning.  I haven't inserted the raised warehouse floor pieces yet.  I measured the floor to be the height of 3 layers of posterboard.

It always looks unattractive at this stage.  I've deeply scored the exterior surface with traced brickwork.  These recesses will eventually fill with dark water and ink after painting to create the realistic exterior effect.

From this view you can get an understanding of simple design.  The doorway faces the street and is on the street level.  A set of steps and wooden railing will lead up to the interior warehouse door.

The exterior loading dock entrace will have sliding corregated metal doors (partially opened) made from cardboard.  I will also construct an exterior landing outside with steps to access this entrance.

Here are the steps...I'll either create a wooden molding and railing out of trimmed wood or trim another piece of poster board to leave it concrete.

Here is the loading dock with steps.  I'll trace some stonework on this...well maybe...not sure yet.

I decided to make the base small and leave the exterior fencing out.  It came down to storage space and simplicity.  I have one large structure with an exterior fence already (my Gillman House) and don't want to store another large baseboard.  This warehouse will stack nicely on top of my Funeral Home if I keep it down to it's basic structure so, I make a small sacrifice.

The walls are assembled and pinned and glued.  They go together perfectly.  I'm definately getting more efficent at this.  I let the glue stand over dinner whileand the kids and I watch a movie.  When I return, I touch up the white glue and add a bit to some spots here and there.  I also add the steps and locking dock pieces. 

Next step will be to complete the inside of the door moldings with cardboard matchsticks.
Then a basecoat and some paint.

It might be a day or two before I can spare a couple hours for painting... We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:58:16 AM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Warehouse Construction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
that's interesting... it is a nice method to carve the foam before cutting it ^^

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I like the layout of the brickwork, etc.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I like the layout of the brickwork, etc.

I'm only sharing what others have shared with me...

It's much easier doing the brickwork before cutting.  I've done it both ways and doing it after it's cut is very difficult and damages the edges of the walls. 

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:45 AM »
Great job with the building. I myself am starting a building project also. One thing I have been wondering is that should I remove the paper from the foamboard and carve the texture to it or leave the paper and cut the bricks or stone straight into that? It seems that you did not remove the paper.

-Mika

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
Nice beginning.

All I can say with the old foam board is use a new blade when you cut, can see a few foam tears on the corners, nice sharp blade a metal ruler and a good sized cutting board and you should be fine.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
I'd suggest against trying to peel the surface of the foamboard away.  The cardstock surface is great for putting textures on it, painting and glueing. 

You can take a ballpoint pen and ruler and scribe brick and stone designs into the surface of the card.  Without the card surface, the foam isn't as strong and would be difficult to carve.  At least the 1cm posterboard I use regularly.

Posterboard works wonders with white PVA glue like school glue.  You have to keep areosal sprays away from it though, as it will eat the foam interior.