Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:03:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robin Hood restarted on page 8 with more photos updated 13/10/13.  (Read 67705 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
The Russel Crowe was good up until the last 15mins or so, but never mind. The one with Uma Thurman had Patrick Bergin as Robin and Jurgan Procknow as the sheriff, a rather decent attempt but sketchy in places.

The GW castle would do if you're not bothered by accuracy  :)

Interested to see where this one goes  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
There was very nice range of 40mm figures, they did the merry men plus lots of armed peasants, knights, men at arms, the sheriff etc.  :)

Having trouble remembering the name of the company at present though. ::)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »
Trident/Vanguard?

http://www.miniatureservicecenter.com/msc-40mm-vanguard.htm

I was walking around Sherwood Forest with the dogs earlier this evening, not that much of a coincidence as it is literally on my doorstep and the Major Oak used to be only 1/2 mile from my previous house (its about 4 now)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:46:26 AM »
Howard Whitehouse has created a fun set of Robin Hood rules that were available for free in the first issue of the now defunct "Historical Miniature Wargamer" (Issue 1, pages 32 -40). I have played it as run by Howard, and it is a ton of fun. The magazine was published by Don Perrin. Try to contact either of them. I know that you can get a hold of Howard on TMP (The Miniatures Page) by contacting MexicanJack. Otherwise, send me a PM and I will forward it to Howard as he is a very good friend of mine.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 04:23:16 AM »
This is what I have bought so far.
Marian (Mark Copplestone) Marian (North Star) Robin (North Star) Robin (Foundry) Sherif (North Star) Friar Tuck (Mark Copplestone) Friar Tuck (Shadow Forge?) Little John (Foundry) and a Black Tree Archer. I have quite a few more Black Tree models for Guards and the Merry Men.

I think the monk lying on the floor holding a barrel is from IMPACT MINIATURES:

http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=elfother_profile&id=EO_FBP1

Some of your models are very good, and I regret too don't grabbing the GW "Bertrand le brigand, Gui le Gross and Hugo le petit" blister waaaaay back.

Please keep us updated about your castle.

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:07:28 AM by magokiron »
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
If you go with Splintered Light you can still build a castle and a forest and a bit of a town and a road through the forest and a bit more here and there, maybe even a bit of coast for the king to arrive home - Richard, not John.  I mean the actual "historical" figures as opposed to his whimsical stuff.  And he has the basic characters and forces for both sides.  So, another vote for Splintered Light.

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »
If you go with Splintered Light you can still build a castle and a forest and a bit of a town and a road through the forest and a bit more here and there, maybe even a bit of coast for the king to arrive home - Richard, not John.  I mean the actual "historical" figures as opposed to his whimsical stuff.  And he has the basic characters and forces for both sides.  So, another vote for Splintered Light.

And they have "Foxes in tights" if you go down the rabbit hole so to speak.....
Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »
Wow, I did not expect that much of a response so thanks for the ideas. Hopefully I can remember who wrote what and politely reply.

Plynkes, I think it was the Music and the magic which we did not like but as I have not seen it for years I may enjoy it this time around.

Argonor, it was the GW store managers advice to use the rules for Legolas which decided me on those rules. I may tweak things a bit and use cards for activation. If you want to part with that blister I can offer a good home. :D I see a couple have just come onto Ebay but will not deliver overseas. :'(

Lowtardog, those figures may do well as I need other characters as well as Robin.

Hitman, thanks I will get back to you on that.

All the others thanks for your interest.

I have my eye on some Hasslefree figures and a couple of Front Rank figures. Problem is I discovered after writing the intro last night I went to pay my VISA online and found that someone had been buying Airline tickets on it. I will have to hold off buying anything for awhile until I get that mess sorted out as I cannot even use Paypal just yet. >:(

The appeal of using the GW castle is its easy to convert to open it up and I would modify the Gateway with two of the turrets. I have been reading a good book about castles which set me off on this project called. Castles, Their Construction and History by Sydney Toy.
I would like a Zvezda accomadation building but may have to settle for the stone tower at the moment. I am only planning to do a corner edge as the Castle making it as playable as possible.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »
Nearly forgot, I liked the Russell Crowe version as well. Except for the bit where the horses kicked the gates in.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
they really are very nice (Mirliton). Shame I didn't get to their production base when I was in Italy last year!  :'(

Mirliton
http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=the-merry-sherwood-company&cName=fantasy-2528mm-humans
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »
I posted pics of a few different versions of the leading cast here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16306.0

But that omits the North Star and Foundry versions, at least.

I have a very soft spot for the 1950s TV series.  There was a touch of "Squadron Leader Robin Hood" about it, but the half-hour format worked well and reminded me of the ballads.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
The Zvezda castle pieces are very good, and you can buy single towers or wall sections which makes them very versatile, although it might bump up the price overall although they sometimes crop up on ebay.

You might also find a suitable toy castle that might be adaptable.
Possibly cheaper too. Some notionally 1/32nd castles make quite a good starter.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
I have a toy castle that comes with quite a bunch of (bigger) plastic knights (my eldest daughter has been honing her painting skills on some of those). I intend to do some work on it at some point, as it should make a nice centerpiece/backdrop/setting for gaming... And it has some of that 'Medieval England' fell to it.

I don't remember the name of the company, but I know that White Knight has it, too - and I can probably find it tonight and check...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
I think it was called falcon castle (there are two versions, one has large round towers in addition of the square ones, haven't been able to track that one down) and is produced by simba.

Btw, Argonor, if your daughter still wants them, I still have a bunch of those knights. ;)