Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Robin Hood restarted on page 8 with more photos updated 13/10/13.  (Read 67806 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 08:47:38 AM »
Btw, Argonor, if your daughter still wants them, I still have a bunch of those knights. ;)

I think they would be for my youngest one, then - let's take that conversation elsewhere, though. I actually plan to let both girls sit in on painting sesions with their own stuff (made some pot-holders by hollowing out wooden blocks - to prevent pots toppling over and spilling the paint). Just need some cheap brushes.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »
A book I read recently was Outlaw, quite a different take on the Robin Hood theme and a good swashbuckling read...a bit Bernard Cornwell in style

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
Read that as well, really enjoyed it.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
I posted pics of a few different versions of the leading cast here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16306.0

But that omits the North Star and Foundry versions, at least.

I have a very soft spot for the 1950s TV series.  There was a touch of "Squadron Leader Robin Hood" about it, but the half-hour format worked well and reminded me of the ballads.

I was looking at the Airfix boxes the other day tossing up whether I should pick them up as well. I decided against it as I would never use them either if I did manage to paint them.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
I've found this tutorial online which would be a way of making a Castle if I could only manage to find some thin sheets of blue foam. I have been thinking of ways of thinning down some thicker sheets which could be interesting. http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_HP/Wolfgang/Tut_Vampirburg/album/index.html

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »
I've found this tutorial online which would be a way of making a Castle if I could only manage to find some thin sheets of blue foam. I have been thinking of ways of thinning down some thicker sheets which could be interesting. http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_HP/Wolfgang/Tut_Vampirburg/album/index.html

That was one hell of a tutorial you found there. That finished castle was a work of art.

Unfortunatly I have neither the skill or the sticking power to undertake any such project.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
Nice, and not very practical for gaming. I can only say again: Some people should get a real life...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
Nice, and not very practical for gaming. I can only say again: Some people should get a real life...

lol lol

Where's the fun in that  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
Nearly forgot, I liked the Russell Crowe version as well. Except for the bit where the horses kicked the gates in.

Just don't go there - it yet more ahistorical bunkum. But fun bunkum nether the less lol  lol

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
A book I read recently was Outlaw, quite a different take on the Robin Hood theme and a good swashbuckling read...a bit Bernard Cornwell in style

I picked that up today and have read about five pages so far. It seems a very good read.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
Damn, now you made me buy the whole 3 seasons DVD set for Robin Sherwood!!  lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
Where's the fun in that  :D

I actually think there's more fun to be had in making - and definitely after making - a model that's practical on the gaming table  :)

I just can't help wondering, how people find the time for such extensive projects - and where the h*ll do they store all those big models and gaming tables? I'll be one of the lucky few with most of an 80sqm garage attic to play in, as soon as I get the floor planks laid (many of the old ones had to be replaced), but if I had as many nicely sculpted gameboards as for instance Capt. Blood, I would soon run out of space, never the less...  ???
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:19:22 PM by Argonor »

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
I have managed to buy a pack of the GW Robin Hood figures on Ebay. I probobly paid too much but at least I've got them, when they arrive that is. He will be Robin. The North Star version has had some Greenstuff to bulk him out who will most likely be Allan A Dale unless I get the Hasslefree minstral.

The Foundry Robin version will be Will Scarlet. I have not decided on which Little John version I will use but the Foundry one is a monster.

I've done a bit more thinking about it and want to borrow and modify some scenarios from LoTOW, namely the Hanging one. The book Outlaw is giving me some ideas for games as well.

I'm thinking of having a few group of; Peasents (some armed), Robin and his Merry Men, Guy of Gisborne with some Crusader Normans and the Sherif with the Black Tree Men at Arms figures I have already bought. I'd like a coach which I may have to build myself. Friar Tuck should be getting a wagon from Front Rank.

I've also started watching Robin of Sherwood which is actually quite good if a little dated. Not sure if I can handle adding the magic for a Wargame.

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
As regards Castles, I would also recommend making your own , that way you get one that suits you needs. I made one and posted porgress shots over on OneRing:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=18703&hilit=harad+fortress

Its not as pretty as Wolfgangs Vampirburg, but its perhaps more useable and versatile as I made it sectional.

I used the same foam material, but covered in it plaster, and dremel etched the brick work in.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

regards
Scott

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »
Nice Castle Scott, I made my Pyramid out of blue foam and find it a bit Fragile. I may go that root but am put off by all the tiny details that I will have to repeat.
Last weekend I made an attempt at making a wall out of thick plastic shower door, but think I need to get some power tools to do it justice.