Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gladiators: Tigris of Gaul 11/12/12  (Read 12529 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gladiators Greedy corrupt arena owner 7/1
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
@Prof.Witchheimer

Yep tried the rules, they are nice but a bit too simplistic straight out of the book - so I added a few easy tweaks which made them play more like I wanted to and now I think that they work quite well. No big changes, but I wanted the Gladiator training stats come into play more often.

I've built the bottom level of an arena, the fighting pit. I am thinking about adding a VIP booth in one corner and maybe an area for the common spectators as well.

The project is almost complete when it comes to Gladiator miniatures, I have 2 more models I wish to paint up. I may add wild animals later on. Figured I would do some kind of blog contest and give away the remaining 6 Gladiators which would make a good "starter pack". Only problem is I can't come up with a good idea for a contest  lol

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »
VIP booth would be a very cool addition, don't forget to put the drinks..And maybe girls :)

Sure, you need some "wild life" there, that would round it off.

btw, don't get me wrong, your painting is very nice and I like your style but the figs are a bit too glossy. Did you think of using of matt varnish, I bet your figs would look even better.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:22:51 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
No matt varnish on the last couple of miniatures, I am aware of the glossy problem and am tearing my hairs out in frustration at the flawed properties of my current matt varnish which does not work at all in the cold (Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear). I've also abandoned using Army Painter matt varnish since it was messing up my models after half a can had been used. Vallejo brush on matt varnish does not work at all....

And we don't have Testors Dullcote here in Sweden. The situation is increasingly frustrating, and is the reason why I try to avoid dark  colors since they tend to have a glossy finish. Recently painted a priest miniatures but it was so glossy that I did not even bother posting it on my blog  :?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
No matt varnish on the last couple of miniatures, I am aware of the glossy problem and am tearing my hairs out in frustration at the flawed properties of my current matt varnish which does not work at all in the cold (Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear). I've also abandoned using Army Painter matt varnish since it was messing up my models after half a can had been used. Vallejo brush on matt varnish does not work at all....

Well, I know the problem. I'm still using Army Painter Anti-Shine but had to learn to handle with it. It's a bit tricky, distance from the can to the fig and the speed of the moving is quite important. Unfortunately nothing I can tell you in that thread as it's something to show or just for self-learning. Definitely it's necessary to do varnishing in a few quick steps, I usually do 3 or 4 because you may not to spray straight too much varnish at the miniatures (going to be a mess), you need several thin layers of it.

How said it's not easy but it pays off on the long run.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:00:06 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
This is exactly why I never bothered to varnish my minis... that, and the fact that my painted minis are rarely handled by anyone else but me and a select few friends.  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gladiators Greedy corrupt arena owner
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:01 AM »
I still had a couple of Crusader Miniatures gladiators in my lead pile for "Gladiator" and decided to paint some up while waiting for my new brushes to arrive, taking a break from the tiny details of Dreadfleet.

Started out with the blister of slaves, which include Maximus and Juba lookalikes. More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/12/gladiator-damned-to-arena.html

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gladiators: Damned to the arena 10/12/12
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
This is yet another miniature from Crusader Miniatures that is clearly inspired by the movie Gladiator, the arena champion "Tigris of Gaul". More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/12/gladiator-tigris-of-gaul-arena-champion.html

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gladiators: Tigris of Gaul 11/12/12
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
Really like your painting syle. Nice clean and crisp style of painting, and the skin colours look great.  :-* :-*

I've got a load of Gladiators in a pile waiting to be painted up, really need to start work on them soon.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
I'm waiting for my Paypal account to "reboot", and I plan to buy a batch of these gorgeous gladiators, and look at tweaking Alternative Armies rules "The Duel".

Offline Annerios

• Assistant
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:29 PM »
I'm waiting for my Paypal account to "reboot", and I plan to buy a batch of these gorgeous gladiators, and look at tweaking Alternative Armies rules "The Duel".

I have a bunch of these in the Bazaar for sale/trade, if you are interested.  My painted ones were already sold.

The Crusader gladiators are really nice sculpts and fun to paint.