Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1st century AD rebellions in Gaul what minis?  (Read 968 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
1st century AD rebellions in Gaul what minis?
« on: May 16, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
During the 1st century AD there where several attempted rebellions against roman rule in Gaul.

In AD21 there was Julius Florus and Julius Sacrovir rebellion. Scarovir apparently raised a body of Treveri horseman and latter command a rebel army of 50,000.

In AD68 there was Gaius Julius Vindex revolt against Nero. I can't work out what his army was composed off he was allied with Galba, and though a Gaul was raised up to senatorial status, so he might have been commanding Roman troops.

while in AD69 the Treveri and Lingones in Gaul revolted as part of the Batavian revolt.

I'm wondering what sort of miniatures would suit these rebels. it seems the leaders while native Gaul's where heavily Romanised so would their followers also be Romanised by this point and best represented by, for example, Roman Auxilla? Or would old school Celt miniatures by more appropriate?

Any ideas grateful received.

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
Re: 1st century AD rebellions in Gaul what minis?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:52:33 AM »
Vindex most certainly was commanding Imperial troops but perhaps only auxiliaries but what did auxiliaries look like in this period? They're shown as being uniformly dressed and equipped but I wonder if they actually were, not that that helps.

The earlier revolt by Sacrovir and Florus could have seen local militia types or at least Gauls in native dress armed and armoured in a similar fashion to the auxiliaries including auxiliaries. The most interesting group were part of Florus' forces which were crupellarii,  local Treveran type of gladiator who were full body armour. The regular army were forced to arm themselves with their dolabra and other tools to get through their armour.

http://i.imgur.com/8NZpprZ.jpg

Again with the Civilis revolt, it was auxiliaries and again you have to ask whether these were standard uniform auxiliaries or if they wore native clothing with standardised equipment.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
I would say that these revolts were enough generations after the Gallic conquest to assume the troops could be reasonably portrayed as "classic" auxilia.

As for the uniformity issue: variation is usually something I focus on, but imperial Roman auxilia would have looked more alike than different, I'd think.
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »
Thanks guys useful stuff. I suppose I could probably make some interesting rebels mixing Warlord or Victrix plastic Auxilla with their plastic Celt kits.

Oddly enough I was reading about the Crupellarii while I was searching for info on roman Manica and didn't even connect the two  lol