Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: lieutenant Egyptian battalion available now/28mm Maximillian range  (Read 34110 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: lieutenant Egyptian battalion available now/28mm Maximillian range
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
Yes, one of each please.  The sudden jolt may be the realisation that I may be getting sucked into a new period...............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »
Joroas

done and dusted , will have a small supply with me for any Lead adventures

my mobile is 07703 522543 ..if you text me when you arrive!!...see you

Sunday!

regards

Ged
www.gringo40s.com ;)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
Thank you for the reply... But I am not sure I phrased my question the right way... What I was wondering is, if I could use these as actual Egyptians in Egypt and for which time frame? :D Unless I misunderstood your reply in my ignorance of Egyptian uniforms and especially the Maximillian Adventure...

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »
Remington

im with you now to be honest i have to admit out of the Maximillian Adventure

im not 100 pct sure of their usage.......the thing is they are french influenced

and with french weapons and equipment probably unique to the period.

Having said that the Major is timeless and could be used at least 50 years before

and up to 100 years later as could the Lieutenant having been to Egypt quite

a few times they still use donkeys and carts in the city of Cairo !! :o and hold on

to many old practises. will look deeper into it for you and revert!!  best regards  Ged

www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:15:07 PM by gringo »

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »
Cheers, Ged, although 50 and 100 years are not the time frame I'm hoping on. But the ability to use him in Northern Africa in the 1890 would be more than enough to make me happy. On the other hand, your minis are very cool, I might just get them for the heck of it. :)

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
Hello, you can use them as turcs or egyptians late XIX burt not for northern africa (ie algeria or marroco) wich is arab people not turckish!

best regards
paco

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Thank you for the reply. With north Africa I meant it's east and therefore Egypt. :) Great that they'd suit the entire end of the century. :) thank you once more!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
Remington -
The Egyptian army uniform did change from that shown in your plate. By the time of the Anglo Egyptian war in 1882 it was still similar for the rank and file - blue or white but with a slightly neater cut and a fully buttoned tunic rather than what appears to be a pull over/half buttoned version. Officers uniforms were similar to the rank and file but a dark blue colour. Google has plenty of images.

This uniform lasted until 1885 when the army began to be issued with Khaki by the British.

Back to the thread :D
- Nice figure - am looking forward to the remainder of the battalion in 28mm and the rest of the range of 28's - what else do you have planned Ged?

The Emir

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Emir

thanks for the enlightening feedback! and comments re the figure....on my

to do list are the French Foreign Legion, Mexican opposition and up next a suprise

i dont want to spoil!!..........hopefully i will cover the whole Gambit but with the

emphasis on some well crafted and hopefully unique figures.......all suggestions

still welcome.

regards  Ged

www.gringo40s.com

www.gringo40s.blogspot.com ;)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
Cheers Emir!  :D

Looking forward to much more, gringo! :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »
The French Foreign Legion actually wore the exact same standard issue uniforms as the rest of the line (save for the grenade embossed on the buttons and the collar insignia), so FFL here means troops that can be used for the whole of the French army. My suggestions would be as follows, the idea being to produce figures that can also be used for Algeria, China and the Crimea. "Fatigue trousers" mean either the white fatigues issued in North Africa and worn unofficially on every overseas campaign, or the narrow red trousers issued in the 1850's before they were replaced with the baggier variety that came with the 1860 uniform.

* Infantry in shell jacket with epaulettes, broad waist sash, fatigue trousers worn with cloth gaiters and either covered or uncovered kepi (can be used for Algeria, hot weather marching order in the Crimea, and China)

* Infantry in greatcoat with epaulettes, fatigue trousers with cloth gaiters and covered or uncovered kepi (same uses as above)

* Infantry in 1860 regulation uniforms with basquine tunics, baggy trousers and covered kepis (Mexican Campaign mostly).

* Infanterie de marine : a pet subject of mine, and figures that absolutely nobody else makes. The Infanterie de Marine were marines, by the way, not sailor landing parties. They fought in just about every campaign during the Second Empire and were therefore present in Mexico. Unlike the rest of the army, they wore a distinctive double-breasted jacket known as a paletot and had bright yellow epaulettes. Narrow trousers would be best for them (they can be painted red for pre-1860 campaign uniforms or white to depict white fatigues on either side of 1860). Kepis either covered or uncovered, depending on the campaign and the climate.

When you get to doing the African troops, it would be nice to have zouave/turco figures with both regular socket bayonets and saber bayonets : turcos were equipped with the former, zouaves with the latter.   

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
Arthur

thanks for the Splendid input. i was aware of the melding of FFL and French line

troops, and the greatcoats cover a mutitude extra figures..the Marines have

grabbed my attention though as i seem to remember the Marines in 1870 with the

peculiar 1858 working cap...like a scottish bonnet and wrapped in a leather jerkin/

sheepskin............do you have any pictures of these??

the ability to extend to other conflicts will be borne in mind of course.........

regards

Ged/ www.gringo40s.com

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
Arthur

thanks for the Splendid input. i was aware of the melding of FFL and French line

troops, and the greatcoats cover a mutitude   of  extra figures..the Marines have

grabbed my attention though as i seem to remember the Marines in 1870 with the

peculiar 1858 working cap...like a scottish bonnet and wrapped in a leather jerkin/

sheepskin............do you have any pictures of these??

the ability to extend to other conflicts will be borne in mind of course.........

regards

Ged/ www.gringo40s.com

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
Ged, I hope you don't mind if I ask but is the Mexican Revolution line coming after the Maximillian Adventure?

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
the Marines have grabbed my attention though as i seem to remember the Marines in 1870 with the peculiar 1858 working cap...like a scottish bonnet and wrapped in a leather jerkin/sheepskin............do you have any pictures of these??

Yup, I do :

However, these boys aren't Marines (or marsouins, as they were popularly known) : they are sailors seconded from the fleet and formed into field battalions to help defend France during the 1870 Prussian invasion. The goatskin jerkins were not specific to naval troops, by the way.  

The Infanterie de Marine were regular infantry battalions meant for overseas deployment, not seamen : they didn't crew ships and fought on land in the colonies (or soon-to-be colonies), which were then placed under the authority of the Ministère de la Marine. The 1858 cap was only issued to sailors : the Infanterie de marine wore the shako when in full dress and the kepi for fatigue and campaign duties (it seems dubious that the shako was ever worn for active campaigning in China or Mexico, although regulations theoretically demanded it). The paletot was effectively a double-breasted frock coat, and here's a reasonable picture of a marsouin in full dress during the mid-1850's :

The uniform would not have changed much by the time of the Maximilian adventure : the kepi would have been worn on campaign instead of the shako, and white gaiters were used, both under and over the trousers. The shell jacket was also used in the field and a sketch by captain Vanson shows a Crimean war Marine marching to Balaklava in 1854 wearing a shell jacket and blue/grey trousers piped red with an uncovered kepi.

Here's a slightly later depiction of a Marsouin in the 1870's : the frock coat had become slightly shorter by then, and the accoutrements are post 1867, but the overall look had not changed significantly :

The yellow epaulettes were the trademark of the naval infantry and looked very similar to the ones worn by line infantry voltigeurs :

Here's what sailors/seamen looked like in the 1850's (the 1858 cap gradually came to replace the hat, although the latter endured well into the 1860's) :

Re the FFL/line uniforms, I assume you are familiar with the following plate by Leliepvre :

The full dress uniform is that of the 1860 regulations. The field dress is what most French soldiers wore while campagning in Algeria, China and some parts of Mexico. Epaulettes were commonly worn on the shell jacket, and they make for more colourful uniforms anyway so I would definitely sculpt them on ! (well, if I could sculpt that is...)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:50:17 PM by Arthur »