Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pocket-Scale-O-Meter  (Read 8323 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Pocket-Scale-O-Meter
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Are you tired of standing in the toy store or cheap outlet with a potentially suitable tank for your army in your hand, and not knowing whether it is the right scale? Are you fed up with inaccurately advertized scales that make you come home with ridiculously oversized houses or vehicles for your games? Then this might be the product for you!

Brought to you by Daeothar Entertainment, now there is the Pocket-Scale-O-Meter! Yes; the Pocket-Scale-O-Meter.

It's a scale meter and handy measuring device that fits right into your pocket or even wallet. Printed out on cheaply available transparency film commonly used for overhead projectors and maybe even laminated for extra sturdiness, this innovative product will rapidly prove to be an indispensible tool for all your miniature and wargaming purchasing sprees.

Let me demonstrate how easy the Pocket-Scale-O-Meter is to use. Just imagine you're browsing your favourite cheap toy store and spotting that perfectly formed armoured vehicle, that would go so well with your Galactic Defenders from Mars. But wait a minute... It looks about the right scale, but is it really? There is no scale mentioned on the cardboard box and there is strict no return policy in this store. So here, see; I whip out my wallet, easily select the Pocket-Scale-O-Meter, that is conveniently sized exactly like a credit card for perfect storage in my wallet's credit card compartment, deploy the device alongside the toy box and presto!

With one look, I can establish whether or not this cheap and desirable toy is a match for my miniatures. See; there is a scale division on the right hand side, telling you how tall the toy is in your favourite scale. Mine's 1/56 in this particular case.

Also note the (almost, nearly) patented Base-O-Vision area just below the, equally accurately scaled, horizontal scale division. It accurately displays two of the most popular base sizes - 25mm Round and 30mm Round & Lipped - so an easy slide of the Scale-O-Meter will tell me if the toy will still look good beside properly based miniatures.

The horizontal bar and the Base-O-Vision system also allows you to measure the suitability of doors, gantries or other areas a miniature needs to be moved through, so you do not end up with miniatures balanced on side rails, or moved sideways through door openings, because the base doesn't fit through.

The selected miniature is an image of a readily available and suitably common miniature that provides a nice average humanoid silhouette with which to judge the appropriateness of your intended purchase.

Of course, this image can be changed at your leasure, to depict your own favourite miniature you wish to compare against. The options are limitless!

So, help yourself to this must have piece of miniature purchasing equipment. Allow yourself the luxury of this easy to use tool and never arrive home with new purchases to disappointment and frustration on the tabletop. It is available now and best of all; it is free!

Yes; completely free for you to snag and print and use where ever you like. And depending on the demand and suggestions, we at Daeothar Entertainment might venture into different scales as well, allowing you to easily browse for any scale you fancy. Imagine getting those 15mm houses you so desire, or those 20mm tanks that could be so cheap. You can have it all, with Daeothar Entertainment's Pocket-Scale-O-Meter!

Get yours today. :D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:00:22 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Pocket-Scale-O-Meter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
As you say; handy.  Would be even better if there was a cut-out slot at the base area, so when looking at a based mini I could insert the base into the slot, such that the mini itself ended up butting against the card.  (I wonder if that made any sense?)

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
hmm time to get printing and laminating at work !!!!
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline G2

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
I thought of having a similar sort of thing in my wallet. But this one is so much better than what I wanted to do. Very nice idea. Thanks for sharing yours.
-------------------------------------------
Standing Small - G2's Miniatures Blog
-------------------------------------------

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
Super, many thanks!!!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
Thanks guys. As goes for everyone, there are too few hours to spend as hobby time, but I will try do a few more in the near future. Any preferences for different scales?

Also, I will try to get a few 'in action' shots up as soon as possible.

As you say; handy.  Would be even better if there was a cut-out slot at the base area, so when looking at a based mini I could insert the base into the slot, such that the mini itself ended up butting against the card.  (I wonder if that made any sense?)
It actually does; don't worry (even though I had to read it twice :P ). What you suggest is more of use for measuring miniatures against eachother, which is a purpose enchroaching on the fabulous,  world famous and stickied Scale-O-Matic. But then in a live environment, so to speak.

I suppose you could take a sharp scalpel to the finished, laminated product and cut out the base area easily. Only problem I see with that is that some miniatures could have basing stuffs poking out over the base's top surface, thus requiring you to enlarge the base shaped hole in the Scale-O-Meter...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
Looking forward to the 15mm one next....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Hmmm, very handy that! A Workbench Moderators Gold Star to you, m'boy!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
It is interesting how many LAFers consider Copplestone the norm for 28mm miniature size.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
Well - Copplestone minis are pretty much of the 'modern' size (not quite 'heroic' scale, but large-ish). Lots of variation to be found in different ranges, though...

One question? How do I force that pic to be printed at the intended size? If I insert it in Word, it becomes slightly smaller (a ruler reveals that, 7.2 cm becomes 6.85), and if I open the pic and print it using windows, it becomes almost twice as big....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
Very useful idea.
Thank you.

And your blurb made me chuckle!
 lol

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
A very interesting concept!

Would anyone be interested in a laser cut plastic version.

Assuming Daeothar doesn't mind :D
Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
A very interesting concept!

Would anyone be interested in a laser cut plastic version.

Assuming Daeothar doesn't mind :D

I would, depending on price of course.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
I find myself rather intrigued by this simple but brilliant idea. I have however one minor suggestion to improve the thing. Having the sales right at the edges would make comparison easier and more exact.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
I find myself rather intrigued by this simple but brilliant idea. I have however one minor suggestion to improve the thing. Having the sales right at the edges would make comparison easier and more exact.

That can easily be done with some image software... I think... (my recent succes rate when dealing with graphics might contradict that statement..)