Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?  (Read 32109 times)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Re: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
Just flicking through this months WI and the next issues theme is 'Skirmishing in the Shadow of the Pyramids' and the picture appears to show some Napoleonic figures - so it may be worth checking out!

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
Thanx for the WI-Infos.

I play for some time now with the idea of gaming the more exotic themes of napoleonic era:
Haiti, Egypt, Russia in the winter...

But the french in egypt is the most colourfull to me.

DV

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »
 Its all Jack Scruby's fault that I game in this period. He had a way of 'selling" wargame periods and he did a slam up bang up job with this.  Stating that it was colorful, there were a wide variety of troops to choose from. It was a Napoleonic period, it was a Colonial period.  It had adventure, it had romance, the battles weren't the grand ventures of Austerlitz, or Jena.  It's fun, give it a try, so I did.
  It was nice to see how this post filled up.  I am always looking for new ideas, new books, new figures (don't I have enough of them already).  One of these years I will land on the Malabar Coast and take over all of India to knock England out of the war.

Offline seelowe41

• Assistant
    • Wyverns Wargamers
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »

Inspired by this thread I took a chunk off Lead Mountain yesterday.. :)
Perry Miniatures - Bashi Bazouk and a desert well.

I Painting up a couple of extra units for a game this evening, using the Too Fat Lardies - Sharp Practice Rules.

Further details can be found here.
http://dusttears.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Stuart
Evesham Wargames Club
Member of the Wyvern Wargamers.
http://wyvernwargamers.org.uk/

Check out my Blog - http://dusttears.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »
Took the plunge myself and ordered some French infantry in Kleber uniforms and dromedary corps. My own wish list for future releases is actually quite small, and would not entail too much work for Paul. It mainly consists of the following :

a/ A second French infantry command pack in Kleber uniform (well the first one is called command 1 so it's fair to assume there's another one in the pipeline)

b/ French grenadiers in Kleber uniform and attack march poses (preferable in leather casquettes à pouf rather than bicorne, as not all grenadiers retained the latter after January 1799)

c/ French artillery crews in Kleber uniforms.

I may seem fixated on Kleber uniforms but figures wearing these are actually the most useful types for the Egyptian campaign since the regulation habit-veste and bicorne were only worn for about six months after the July 1798 landing. The good thing about figures in Kleber uniforms is that they can also be painted dark blue to depict the cotton jacket worn throughout 1799 until its replacement by the cloth Kleber pattern.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:11:46 PM by Arthur »

Offline seelowe41

• Assistant
    • Wyverns Wargamers
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
Not quite Egypt but my Ottoman's got their first real outing on Sunday against a Russian Infantry force, played using the Too Fat Lardies rules.
A full AAR can be found here.
http://dusttears.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Stu
Evesham Wargames Club

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »
I'm slowly working my way into this period it has such colorful troops.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
I just came across this potentially useful painting guide for Napoleonic-era Ottomans over on the Napoleon Series forum. The Military Costumes of Turkey was originally published in 1818, is chock full of full-color plates, and can be had for free from Google books!
http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Military_costume_of_Turkey.html?id=098GAAAAQAAJ&redir_esc=y

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
Just found this thread. Very interesting period indeed for many cultural reasons. Recommend eating fish in Abu Kir Bay. It amazes me that when Napoleon and Champoleon were doing thier thing, where my flat now stands was totaly empty with a clear view of the Pyramids. One source of information that might yield some results is the American University in Cairo Press that has an extensive publication list in English. My books covering the period are in Cairo (and I'm not 'till June) and in Arabic. Depending on your patience and length of this project I would be happy to look into this more, apart from being more 'on the spot' as it were!
Pip Pip
Harvey
Dievs, svētī Latviju!

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:33 PM »
@WillyB

In reference to your citations: "A really splendid one with good illustrations in the two part Soldats Napoleoniens 'dossier de recherche' by Yves Martin."

Can you tell me which editions had these articles in them, as I would like to find them. Thanks in advance.

@Arthur, I think some of your 'wants' list have actually been done...at least the last time I checked the Brigade Games site. I have a bunch of Lon's/Paul's figs in my collection and they do look great. I also still have my small collection of Dixon minis for this period, which actually aren't that bad at all.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
I just got that issue of Wargames Illustrated. Nice, but brief, little discussion of the subject. Would love to do some skirmish gaming as suggested, but at a really small level--say on par with Chaos in Cairo. Thought about Sharpe Practice, but I'd rather do like 10-20 figs rather than 30-40. And I wouldn't be averse to throwing in the occasional mummy either  ;)

I wonder, would Chaos in Cairo actually still work for this period, or would it be boring without the SMGs and other 20th century technology? Other suggestions? Maybe Gloire?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
Scott has used the same basic game engine for fantasy and myth, so a lack of rapid-fire firearms is no hinderance IMO. I actually wrote an adaptation to use the rules for French and Indian War games.

Dammit, now you gave me one more excuse to paint some of those figures!  >:(

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Axabrax,

we have been playing it with Songs of Drums and Shako's which works perfectly.
As there is a fantasy version of these rules called Songs of Blades and Heroes you can include a mummy without a problem.
I even had a little miscast with one of my Marines who was missing a foot. I gave him a pegleg and adapted his stats to walking only short distances instead of medium which worked like a charm. You can find these rules at Ganesha Games.

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »

I even had a little miscast with one of my Marines who was missing a foot. I gave him a pegleg and adapted his stats to walking only short distances instead of medium which worked like a charm. You can find these rules at Ganesha Games.

Sounds like a perfect solution Johan!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
SDS totally slipped my mind! They are a fantastic little set of rules and would work perfectly as Johan says.