Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?  (Read 31900 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »
Hello,

I wish to look at Napoleon in Egypt next year on a small scale. Its more or less been on the wish list for many many years. The right miniatures have now come along so I've some Brigade Games French being sent by Lon and I'm hoping to see photos of painted miniatures by similar folks who maybe on this fourm or can be directed to. Moreover, some ideas for the period.

Painting camels will be a challenge and I hope someone can help out here too with a how to guide. The savants that are just new I've ordered to. I wish to make up some bases with a scene for them and I hope we can see some further character packs in the future. I've not painted Napoleonics before now, but I've painted nearly every other period for customers and myself.

I don't think I'll be gaming the period, but just painting up units. I did find a neat set of rules on a Yahoo group that covers this period. The activity on the group site is not very active, nevertheless, I like the basing idea and will be a guide for my collection.

I'll add some British, Arabs and Ottoman too. The British naval landing party is a must do.

I wish to keep the scenics more or less on bases, but a few larger pieces might be nice. Any ideas greatly received with thanks.

My reference library is adequate and awaiting the two books from Caliver to complete the references. I've Bonoparte La campagne d'Egypte in French which is just the best for the period in question.

Thanks for reading,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Who Games/collects Napoleon in Egypt?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
This always looked like a nice period to do.  some of the French units had the most bizarre colours.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
I'm doing the British naval landing party, Helen, but might wait for Lon (and Hicksy!) to produce their French naval opposition, and then do ship-to-ship actions rather than get involved with camels, mamelukes and the like... It is an interesting and attractive period though, so i might succumb. I've always loathed 'big battle' Napoleonics with a passion, but this is sufficiently different and interesting to be tempting...  ;)

Offline whisperin_al

• Bookworm
  • Gaming Geek
    • The Wargames Shed
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
I have been thinking of getting into these partly due to the very nice Brigade figures and partly as it is something a little different from mainstream Napoleonics.  But having just moved house the extra cost of postage and customs/handling fees etc. is making it a little bit too expensive at the moment.  I would love to see some painted examples though (although that might tip the balance...)

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
We've been playing Egypt with Song of Drums and Shakos several times. I had Victrix figures with the Balloon Corps on the French side and a Naval landing party on the other side. Loads of Egyptian fish tank scenery and palmtrees and Hirstarts castings from their Egyptian line.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
For terrain inspiration it's worth looking in remainder bookshops for a copy of "Description de l'Egypte".
Also has some costume pictures, fortifications etc.

I think Taschen did a postcard version of some of the plates, but I've seen large reprints too, typical coffee table books.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
You should also check out Napoleon in Egypt by King & Country, see this link;
http://www.kingandcountry.co.uk/indexproductcategories.asp?pcid=73&mcid=1

The K&C leaflets show some stunning dioramas and themed terrain.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
Thanks very much folks for your kind comments. There will be no large collections or battles, but a taste of everything.

Richard, ship board actions will certainly be on the cards notwithstanding the French and British both had naval landing parties with their forces. I'm sure there are rules for the former in the pipeline somewhere.

I've seeen the King and Country miniatures and they do give some inspiration, thank you.

Thanks Johan and Fastolfrus for your suggestions.

Joroas, I too just love the colour variations on the uniforms.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
Helen,

The two Caliver books are worth their weight in gold. A friend of mine loaned me Buonaparte, La Campagne d'Egypte and I've been reading it ever since. Magnificent book and I'll try to get hold of another copy for myself.

There are a few good illustrations in the Funcken 'Les soldats de la Revolution Francaise'

Then there is a Belgian 'semi comic book' actually more like a potted history with illustrations by Mondolini published by Casterman in 2008 ISBN 978-2-203-01734-4. Same title 'Bonaparte , la campagne d'Egypte. (In French)

Articles:

Gloire et Empire magazines nrs 5, 7 and 10 La Campagne d'Egypte. Must haves! Dozens of really great illustrations.

A really splendid one with good illustrations in the two part Soldats Napoleoniens 'dossier de recherche' by Yves Martin.

L'Egypte Tricolore by Jacques Brouillet appeared in Le Briquet in the 80s.

Wargames Illustrated Three part article by Stephen Ede- Borret

Practical Wargamer Vol 12 nr 3. The Battle Of The Pyramids. Charles Grant.

Dossiers de recherche of Michel Petard 'Demi Brigades en Egypte in Soldats Napoleoniens.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
I found this free novel, the story of a young English man in Egypt, at the time of the French Invasion. Only about 40 pages in so far, but I am enjoying it so far and the French haven't even arrived yet :D
http://www.archive.org/stream/ataboukiracresto00hentiala#page/40/mode/2up
Hopefully make for some light reading.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:07:45 AM by elysium64 »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
By coincidence Frank just added a camel painting tutotial in his "Desert Column" post over on the colonial board. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=32479.0 . Egypt tempts me, but I have a large pile of Eureka French and Austrians that need finished first!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
By coincidence Frank just added a camel painting tutotial in his "Desert Column" post over on the colonial board. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=32479.0 . Egypt tempts me, but I have a large pile of Eureka French and Austrians that need finished first!

The Eureka French are very compatible with the ones Paul made for Lon. Muahahahah = evil laugh.... lol

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Thank you Willie for your thoughts. Wow, more books on the subject. Might need to look at some of them in the future. I've the WI articles, thanks.

Thanks Aaron, I did see the tutorial.

Cheers,

Helen
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:20:12 PM by Tank Girl »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »
I found this free novel, the story of a young English man in Egypt, at the time of the French Invasion. Only about 40 pages in so far, but I am enjoying it so far and the French haven't even arrived yet :D
http://www.archive.org/stream/ataboukiracresto00hentiala#page/40/mode/2up
Hopefully make for some light reading.

Thank you for the link.

Helen

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
I started a lead pile of the Brigade Napoleon in Egypt line too.  Haven't got anywhere near starting painting it though.  My thought was to do small scale games using Sharp Practice.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.