Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697561
  • Total Topics: 118844
  • Online Today: 505
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints  (Read 13636 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
Games Workshop is launching a staggering new Citadel Paint range, and it's nothing short of a painting revolution. We've developed an incredible system of painting that will enable hobbyists of all levels to achieve fantastic results very easily. There are 145 new Citadel Paints for you to choose from, each one specially designed for a particular painting task, from basecoating your models, to shading, adding highlights, to covering your bases, and more besides! There are even new paint sets, which are ideal for any beginner, and Citadel Palettes to help keep your paint in the right place.

This is quite simply one of the biggest developments Games Workshop has ever made, but don't take our word for it - visit your local Hobby Centre this weekend for an in-store demo to try out these incredible new paints for yourself.

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
Will go in and have a look, but at first read it sounds like Foundry's three colour system..........

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
How original. They really are at the forefront of paint system solutions. Or so they'd like pre-adolcents, young teens and clueless parents to think.  ::)

Snarky comments aside I think it is a good thing they expand their paint range. Citadel paints are often available in toy stores if you need something in a hurry.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »
But most importantly, have they brought back tentacle pink and scaly green?

Offline senex

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
boisterously overdone advertisement as always lol

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
But are they still in pots that dry up within a couple of months?
So much to do, so little time...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
Effectively they have replaced all of their paints, the old ones will disappear to be replaced with new, sometimes similar, colours.

There is a base set, a larger layer set, a small shade set, a dry brush set, a handful of glazes and some texture paint for basing.

They are not out for two weeks but a GW store near you will have a colour chart and list you can take away and are doing demos.

As the old paints are phased out there may be some bargains to be had.

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
But are they still in pots that dry up within a couple of months?

The only GW pots I've had consistently dry out on me are the old black hard plastic tops, both the screw-on and the flip-tops. The latest ones I've had no problems with. That said, I've heard the pot design IS slightly updated on these, to prevent paint buildup at the cap hinge.

I don't expect I'll get the chance to try these new ones out until maelstrom starts selling singles, but I'm looking forward to it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
Effectively they have replaced all of their paints, the old ones will disappear to be replaced with new, sometimes similar, colours.

There is a base set, a larger layer set, a small shade set, a dry brush set, a handful of glazes and some texture paint for basing.

They are not out for two weeks but a GW store near you will have a colour chart and list you can take away and are doing demos.

As the old paints are phased out there may be some bargains to be had.

Not to miss a chance to bash GW, but they did say no current colour is being retired. The line is only being expanded, with the existing paint colours simply being renamed.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
There's new pots on some of the paints:

More pics and waffle on the blog:

http://deadleadproject.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/new-gw-paints-have-new-pots.html

(Apologies for the poor formatting on the post, I was covertly blogging on my phone...)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
Not to miss a chance to bash GW, but they did say no current colour is being retired. The line is only being expanded, with the existing paint colours simply being renamed.

True, but it does say on the conversion chart (TM) that they cannot guarantee the shade or consistency............

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
True, the 'base' paints are thinner than the old 'foundation' paints (which is probably for the best IMHO)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
I wonder what's different in the formulation for "dry brush" paints.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
I have a huge pile of the old paints and a load of Vallejo, so I won't be rushing to jump on this.............

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
Base Paints: Essentially the modern equivalent of Foundations. Bright colours, with good coverage. Very good at what they do.
Shade Paints: Essentially washes, but less smelly and they sit better on the model.
Layer Paints: Equivalent to the normal Citadel Colour paints we have known for many years, but they seem more like the older style pots (i.e. the white-lidded, 80's and 90's colours before the black screw-tops).
Dry paints: Thick paints, with lots of pigment. You can remove loads of paint from your brush and there is still a strong pigment. You can still drybrush with layer paints, but these seem to be good for mass drybrushing. I haven't got the hang of it quite yet, but soon! I think they look like chocolate mousse!
Glazes: Similar to the wash, but more like watered down inks. They do not 'dye' a model, rather give it a different tone. Very useful for skin, magical armour things like that.
Texture: A quick-fix way of doing bases, GW will continue to sell basing materials though, this is an alternative rather than a replacement. I quite like it as a quick fix! The one I used this morning looks like baby-poo, but once drybrushed it looks like one of Steve Dean's miniature bases.
Technical: There's the Liquid Greenstuff we have come to know and love, the 'ardcote gloss varnish and a glaze medium. Very good for thinning the paints rather than using water.

I am in love with the new paints, they are incredibly good quality and will be replacing my P3 paints. As said in previous comments above, they are very accessible too. From now on all GW articles will be written with a particular style of painting in mind. It is quick, effective and I know it works, because I have followed a guide!
The key is that you CAN change to it, but you do not NEED to.

It has taken GW 3 years working on these to get them to a point they are happy with them. They have been tested in labs with lasers to get the correct density. The coverage should apply across the whole range too. Very professional, very good and I think the best release of this year so far in the Wargames world for me at least.  :)