Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 01:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints  (Read 13632 times)

Online Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
Vallejo Game Colors Cobra Leather and Beast Brown are good matches for those two, CB.

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »
I have used the new Dheneb Stone (I forget its name, I believe a word that starts with R, then flesh), and could not tell it apart from other miniatures I had done using the original foundation.   Granted, it was a base of Dheneb stone, washed with Badab Black and then dry brushed Dheneb Stone again, but when that was all done, I saw no difference.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
It is worth noting that the Vallejo Game Color line is a pretty close match for the GW line. No washes or foundation paints and I have found some a bit thin but the colors are quite close.

What do you mean, Aaron? Vallejo Game Colour DOES have washes/inks? Plus the Vallejo Pigments series (or what ever it's called) also has some washes, and these do not seem the same as the Game Colour ones. A bit more like GW washes maybe? I haven't really compared them too much, as I use the Pigments inks now.

Online Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
Sorry for not being clear. As far as I know, the Game Colour line only mimics the old basic GW paint line. No washes or foundation paint clones that I know of.

I just popped over to the friendly local at lunch to check out the new paints. My pal behind the register was curious about the changes himself so he popped open the new supposed equivalent (Agrax Earth or something like that) and dabbed some of it and some Devlan Mud from his personal bottle onto a piece of paper side by side. The new one seemed a bit more brown and not quite as dark, but that could be because his Devlan Mud was slightly stronger from evaporation (he's had it for a while since he doesn't paint much).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:06:21 PM by Aaron »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
Vallejo Game Colors Cobra Leather and Beast Brown are good matches for those two, CB.

Thanks Aaron. Trouble is i always find VGC dries shiny (whereas most VMC is generally reliably flat matt). Ah well, i shall no doubt come up with some suitable substitutes in due course...  :)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
Sorry for not being clear. As far as I know, the Game Colour line only mimics the old basic GW paint line. No washes or foundation paint clones that I know of.

You're only partially right, Aaron. No foundation paints for sure, unless you want to count the brushable primers as such, and they're not part of the Game Colour range anyways.

However, the Game Colour range does have washes/inks: paint numbers 85-94 if I recall correctly. The Game colour range has these days around 104 different paints, not the original 72 colours which were almost directly copied from GW paints. These additional paints were added some time after the original set a few years back (the paint rack being expanded with an attachable rack section). And they even contain some nice colours that the GW range didn't have (I think), like the Metallic Medium, Off White, Steel Grey and some others.

So your information is perhaps outdated, or your local source of VGC doesn't have this additional set? Anyways, that is the situation.

As to the shiny problem Cpt. Blood mentions above, I have found this with the black colour especially, not so much on others? Anyways, if I want a completely matt finish on paint, I use Vallejo Matte Medium which takes it away nicely. The latter is from Model Colour range, I think?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:33:23 AM by Verderer »

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
I found what we all have been looking for to end the speculation about the new range.
It looks as if GW screwed themselves big time with the new change of names, formula and actual reduction of colors in their basic range. What's worse is that the new "foundation" paints don't match the old formula...

I love the  "thinned down paint because our customers are too stupid to do it themselves"  being the reason of GW releasing that crappy "layering" paint lol

http://independent-painters.blogspot.se/2012/04/new-citadel-paint-range-review.html?showComment=1333994603141#c5858782537914091241

The guys also posted his review directly on YouTube

As for Vallejos washes, sadly they are not even close to the GW washes imo.

Thanks for the video, it explains a lot.

Such a shame, as everyone else says there are certain gw colours that i tent to use more than others. The only reason that I havent already moved on to the cheaperm vgc is because of the dropper bottle... I feel that you waste alot of paint if you only require a small amount; unless of course i'm doing it wrong. In which case does someone care to enlighten me  lol

*shrugs* time to explore the market I suppose, i'll not exclude gw paints from my search. Although to be fair With my all time low productivity levels, I can't imagine me requiring to purchase paint for a wee while.

Cheers
Andy

Online Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »

So your information is perhaps outdated, or your local source of VGC doesn't have this additional set? Anyways, that is the situation.

Yeah, my local shop still only has the original VGC set. I think the GW and VMC stuff sells much better for them. Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to look into the VGC line and see if t here is anything useful I want to get them to order in for me.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
No problem, Aaron. The additional paints would definitely be worth getting, if you can persuade your local shop to stock them. It might even perk their sales up a bit for Game Colour? Or if they would get the newer washes which seem better to me? They should be available separetely, I am not sure if they're part of the Auxiliaries or Pigments ranges?

It seems Game Colour is somewhat underappreciated range for some reason? People seem to prefer Model Colour even if you had the same shade in Game Colour. In my experience Game Colour is more durable on minis, so I always try to use them before going for Model Colour. But it's true MC has more useful shades for historicals, straight off the bottle.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
I wonder what's different in the formulation for "dry brush" paints.

Added dry ingrediant?

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »
Is dry ingredient another way of saying less water? lol

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Added dry ingrediant?

I'm sure it has some sort of retarding additive as well. If it were simply more pigment to binder, it would dry out and cake really quick (faster than usual that is  lol). So, I'm guessing pigment, acrylic binder, retarding additive, and perhaps water. I also think adding significantly more water to it will affect its handling and performance.

I picked up a pot of the new 'dry' white to check it out. It's unusual. I haven't really used it yet in a 'controlled experiment' though.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza