Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 07:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697512
  • Total Topics: 118841
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints  (Read 13633 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: GW Announces 145 new Citadel Paints
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
I buy paints from everybody...  8)

But I must admit I have a soft spot for Foundry and Vallejo.

I have recently tried some Andrea paints. Wow... talk about max pigmentation!

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »
Doesn't mean that's guaranteed, but I see no reason not to take the "we haven't changed the formulation" claim at face value yet. 

I'm waiting to see, as the guy in the shop said none of the old paints are changing, but when I later asked if it was just me or did the base paints seem thinner than the old foundation paints he said 'yes, everthing's been improved'...

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Latest White Dwarf says "be aware that as the new paint range comprises brand-new formulations we can suggest close, but not exact comparisons", and so both Necron Abyss (almost black) and Regal Blue (a rich dark blue) are both replaced by Kantor Blue... methinks it's a cunning ploy to get us all to panic buy Devlan Mud...

Offline Jnicolas

• Student
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
Hummmm Have you the price ???

My wife roars  !!! ;-)
Patricia, mon petit… je ne voudrais pas te paraître vieux jeu ni encore moins grossier. L'homme de la pampa, parfois rude, reste toujours courtois, mais la vérité m'oblige à

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
My interest in this "revolutionary" paint system from gw is none existent, I only use gw washes, and scorpion green on rare things, with my interest in foundry getting stronger, and still having plenty of the mp paints, I will not be investing in a company who have consistent poor quality goods

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
Latest White Dwarf says "be aware that as the new paint range comprises brand-new formulations we can suggest close, but not exact comparisons", and so both Necron Abyss (almost black) and Regal Blue (a rich dark blue) are both replaced by Kantor Blue... methinks it's a cunning ploy to get us all to panic buy Devlan Mud...

Ah crap, well, there goes that. I might just go out and buy an extra pot of each wash myself (I paint in such small quantities that any further stock would dry out long before I got to use it).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
There are some very nice burnt umber and Sienna washes from baVallejo

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
I've got all my minis based using Graveyard Earth.

After looking at the conversion chart, I'm starting to hyper-ventilate..  :o

Is it time to freek out yet  ???

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 04:00:26 AM »
Is it time to freek out yet

Probably not. First of all, Vallejo Game Color's Earth is a slightly more saturated version of Graveyard Earth, and that one's not disappearing. Second, I wouldn't trust those conversion chart swatches for any sort of purchasing decisions. If you've got a GW store nearby, just bring a Graveyard Earth pot along, and see how close that suggested substitute is. Khemri Brown is really close to Graveyard Earth, so check out the suggested substitute for that as well.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:04 AM »
Phew, today was an interesting day. Drove all over Toronto and every single store that stocks GW paint in the city was out of Devlan Mud (and quite a few were out of a LOT of stuff, including most inks).

Had to drive well out of town to find some of that crucial Mud (if you live in the Toronto area: I went to Conspiracy Comics, at their Oakville location near the Oakville GO station).

So I've got my little hoarded stash now: 4x Gryphonne Sepia, 4x Devlan Mud, 2x Ogryn Flesh, and 1x the rest. That about matches my consumption, with an extra Sepia and Mud for good measure, in case I knock over a pot like a doofus - wouldn't be the first time I'd done it. I even bought the red and green inks which I'd never picked up before. Should be enough to last many many years at the rate which I paint (damned slowly!).

Be warned! If you mean to pick up some of the old inks, I'd get on that really soon!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:07:22 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
Vallejo Game Color's Earth is a slightly more saturated version of Graveyard Earth

Ah ha!

Thank you! I like Vallejo so that sounds like a great substitute. Will give it a try.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
I've got all my minis based using Graveyard Earth.

After looking at the conversion chart, I'm starting to hyper-ventilate..  :o

Is it time to freek out yet  ???

Humbrol makes an equivalent of Graveyard Earth in their new acrylics series. I can find the number for you if you're interested.

Even though I'm fascinated by the new stuff GW is bringing out here... Ray's situation is exactly why I don't use GW unless I have to: You never know if this or that colour is there in 2 years time. 0
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
For fellow Devlan Mud junkies, despair not! Vallejo's transparent "smoke" is a pretty good substitute. It just needs slightly diluted IMO.

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
Smoke is good stuff, and I used to be a Vallejo Smoke junkie years back, but it's really quite different from Devlan Mud. Mud is quite neutral in tone, but with a lot of different tints in it. Smoke is much more yellowish, but it can be layered until it's almost black. It goes beautifully on top of snakebite leather and other such tones. They both have their uses, but they're really not interchangeable. That's even ignoring the fact that Smoke isn't a wash - you'll never get it to behave like a wash just by diluting with water. I have no idea what flow improvers the old (I guess we're calling 'em that by now?) GW washes contain, but I haven't been able to replicate the effect with what I have available.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Funny, my smoke doesn't seem to have any yellow tint to it. I thin mine with a vallejo product meant to thin paints for airbrushes (I think) it doesn't act exactly the same, but I have been able to achieve results that are "close enough" for me since all Devlan Mud in a three state area seems to be gone forever.  >:(