Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689632
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Medieval Village  (Read 11178 times)

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
I have now glued together four houses and a blacksmith. I requiered some work and some pieses of greenstuff. I had problems get the roofs right, but that is probably more due to my inexperience in modelling.

I primed them black and have today painted them following Parulon's painting guide. They came out very well according to my standards.
Most walls are in a cream/buff colour and one house is white.

The roofs I pained in sombre grey, simply because I like that colour, its slate like and you can always reason that the locals have a tradition of using this colour, or that it works as water proofing.

I have no idea how to get wood look grey and aged, I would like that effect for my outhouses.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
My Medieval Village
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
That Armorcast well is a nice little piece. This range had completely passed me by. Some of the cottages are rather good - maybe a little bit Hansel and Gretel - but well detailed.

(Makes me laugh though, the way the whole 'Medieval Village' range is illustrated with some kind of space marine for scale purposes!)

Here's a method for old timber:

1. Spray black primer
2. Using quite a big, chisel-ended brush, dry-brush with mid-grey mixed with a touch of khaki or earth colour so it's not a 'pure' grey. Make sure you drybrush across the grain of the timber, and any planking.
3. Then gradually mix a little more white into the blend and go over it again - only a little more lightly this time.
4. Repeat a couple more times until you are dry-brushing with almost pure white, which requires a really light dry-brush, just on the most raised detail.
5. Using a smaller brush, you can then lightly stipple / drybrush selected areas - like along the bargeboards or the roofline - with a hint of pale, mossy green - old timber buildings often have a greenish tinge where they have attracted moss and lichen.
6. Run a few streaks of burnt sienna or a similar rusty colour along some one or two planks, and coming down from beneath window ledges and so on. Again, if you look at old timber buildings, they often show rust streaks where nails have oxidised and leaked into the wood.
7. If you have accidentally drybrushed into any of the detail, use a fine brush to touch in any black in between planks etc, using a thin wash of black, cut with maybe 50 or 60 % water (assuming you are using acrylics).

That's it! Works for me. Good luck  :wink:

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
Captain Blood! Thank you! A perfect painting guide  :love:
You should post it as a sticky in an appropriate forum so that it can be seen by many more!

Cheers!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
My Medieval Village
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:20 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Hell Eric, I think you have a moral obligation to let the rest of the Swedish Lead Adventure come and play with your new toy town!  :)

I call mayor! 8)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
My Medieval Village
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
Quote from: "Arcticman"
Captain Blood! Thank you! A perfect painting guide  :love:
You should post it as a sticky in an appropriate forum so that it can be seen by many more!

Cheers!

Ha ha! Better try it out and see if it works first!  :wink:
Actually, I do have several buildings, ships, quays etc painted with precisely this method. Maybe I'll stick a few pics up at some time.

But there are a lot more expert scenery makers and painters than me around here - I think we probably all need a masterclass from Theomar Pius, who looks like he should be employed by Weta Workshop!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
My Medieval Village
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 11:02:50 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
Quote from: "hammershield"
Hell Eric, I think you have a moral obligation to let the rest of the Swedish Lead Adventure come and play with your new toy town!  :)

I call mayor! 8)

Damn! OK, I call village idiot!

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Back again:

Lovely to see that we have the two most important positions filled already! :mrgreen:  :lol:

I hereby confer the mayoral chain on Rhoderic and the village idiot cowpat on Hammershield. There will be much feasting in the village tonight.

Here are two photos I took in haste just to give you an idea of what it looks lik at the moment:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25226

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25227

Most minis are Hasslefree. The one near the barman is a Gripping Beast peasant, the boy with a dog in the foreground and the milkmaid in the back are Amazon and the blacksmith is a Reaper mini.

My Mirliton have arrived. Nice sculpts with some difference in scale. Some are exactly the sam size as Hasslefree, mostly ladies while others are  slightly bigger and with a bit more bulk. they wil work nicely though with the general setting.

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
I haven't finished the minis yet, they are just there to provide scale and life to the village.
Hopefully I will be able to give you better pictures in a week or so.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
My Medieval Village
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »
Nice village! :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
My Medieval Village
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
looking good :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
My Medieval Village
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
Nice work there. :)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
My Medieval Village
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:22 PM »
8)  Thank you all for the nice words!  

To tell you the truth I feel like ten years old again. When not working I spend my time on the little village.

Here are today's pictures:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25315

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25317

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25314

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25316

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Arcticman/image.html?galleryId=2563&imageId=25318

The Black Tree Design villagers are the same size as Mirliton and thus perfect.

The things from sellthatstuffboy came today and they are everything I hoped for and more.

I need a much bigger table now!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
My Medieval Village
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 12:21:59 AM »
You got your Black Tree stuff already? I'm still waiting for mine and I believe I ordered my stuff a good bit earlier :cry:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
My Medieval Village
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
Lovely stuff!